348 vs F355F1 | FerrariChat

348 vs F355F1

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ferrariboy, Jan 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrariboy

Ferrariboy Rookie

Mar 16, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Wanted to hear peoples opinion on this who are knowledable with both models.....

348tb/ts or F355B/GTS F1. Seems pricing is getting close between these two....The F1's seem to take a big hit making it close to the 348's price range. Which do you choose ?
    And second question, 348 vs F355 built quality, materials, fit and finish....who wins ?.

Thanks

2. bballto

bballto Karting

Mar 10, 2014
    I heard early F1's suck.

3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Oh.......No :)

tres55 and BOKE like this.
  4. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    All I can say is a up2date 348 is the best "drivers car" Ferrari ever made except for the f40
    Nothing keeps you more engaged with the road.

:)

kandi, aballas, deeej84 and 2 others like this.
  5. DarkHorseTerence

Oct 25, 2012
    Only YOU will know which you prefer by driving both. I personally prefer a manual 348 to an F1 355. I think these era Ferrari are much more engaging with a manual box. I agree with the earlier comment, that a 348 is a HIGHLY engaging car and one of the most fun to drive at lower speeds (ie below 70mph). It gives loads of steering feedback and feels faster than it is. However, I personally am not a fan of its higher speed handling. So those aspects are really down to what you want and what suits YOU best.

As for fit and finish etc - each car varies so much - each car can only be judged on its own merits. A great 348 will trump a poorly maintained 355 and vice versa. I have seen and driven many Ferrari from the 70s through the 90s and each had their own particular story.

carnutdallas likes this.
  6. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Well we should convert all F1s to manuals then.

7. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I far preferred my 348 to my 355 manual. And a 355 with an F1 is terrible.

bjwhite and SoCal1 like this.
  8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #8 Wade, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Hundreds of threads and thousands of posts on this. One thing hasn't changed... people's reasons to buy either one. In other words, you should ask not about the cars themselves but about the owners instead.

Except for those who are expecting an ROI, then a comparison is rather pointless.

If you're intent is ROI, then please say that from the git-go. ;)

My reason, the 348 is a 1000 times more attractive (to me) than the F355. While I appreciate the latter, it does nothing for me (doesn't stir any passion at all). Plus I prefer the simplicity of the 348, and as a classic sports car as well.

EDVTEC, Jakuzzi and bjwhite like this.
  9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Most of that reputation was from the fact is was new technology and few did a good job at keeping them working correctly in their early days. It was a pretty good system but like anything they are getting old and an expensive repair gets to be a greater likelihood every day. A 355 would be very easy to convert to stick should someone want to.

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  10. Ferrariboy

Ferrariboy Rookie

Mar 16, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Acquiring the car would be to pamper and drive on occasion with no intention of selling in the near future. The question was raised only due to the fact the 2 cars are getting so close in price. Truth be told, a Red F355B 6spd is my holy grail but for an A1 conditioned example the pricing I think is out of the question right now. With the lower F1 prices it had me thinking could I live with the F1 trans while still getting that famous F355 engine note.

11. Surfari

Surfari Karting

Nov 4, 2016
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Luke
    I lusted after the 355 until I actually drove one. In my mind, the 348 delivers the Ferrari experience I had in my head all of these years. Everything is heavy and provides excellent feedback. You can feel when you cross over a painted line, the balance changing when you feather the throttle mid-corner, and many other "one with the car feelings". The over-boosted (IMO) steering in the 355 took out all the engagement for me and the whole car just felt too easy. I like the rewarding feeling when you get everything right in the 348. This happens less than in a 355, but it gives me more satisfaction when you do align the stars.

That being said, you will never get your answer from reading a forum. Go and drive both (preferably more than one example of each) and that will give you your answer. But if you want an answer from reading my deadass opinion: get the 355 if you want effortless speed; get the 348 if you are more concerned with the size of smile on your face over how fast you can storm a technical canyon road or track.

You can't go wrong with either, as long as the car delivers the experience you are seeking. Happy hunting!

dkny, bjwhite and Wade like this.
  12. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Since people are posting video clips. This should answer your question. PS - I have this exhaust on mine. It's incredible!

Jakuzzi, SoCal1 and Wade like this.
  13. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Wow, all this pro-348 stuff and I haven’t even posted yet!

IMHO, 348 has better steering, better steering wheel, better gauges, better center console, better door card styling, simpler, harder, more old school Ferrari—the very last. I also like the nose treatment better with the 348.

I would love to have the extra 1000 rpm of revs and the six speed, and maybe the smoother side scoops. But otherwise, 348 all the way for me.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

dkny, PineChris, Wade and 3 others like this.
  14. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Yea...F1 is just horrible stuff. Trash!
    I can not believe people actually drive a 355F1 car on the road.

That transmission style will never catch on. Just a fad.

15. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #15 Ferrarium, Jan 16, 2019
    Dont think anyone said it was a fad or was a bad idea. its freaking great. Now...

It ls just that it was less than optimal then as it was new and 20 years on it did not magically get better in that car, it is what it is. When right its right, when not its not, and they all go not once in a while. Not nearly enough to say it sucksirs not, its good, its just not in the the same league as todays systems though.

Without question the 355 f1 is amazing when working right but not in the same dead reliable way the 6 speed was. As far as driving I bet a properly working f1 is better more fun even.

Some just prefer less hastle or less possible hastle is all. I know id like one.

16. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I can attest that a proper working, non butchered F1 system does not suck and is actually really fun. The people that hate it have either never driven one or don’t know how to manually blip the throttle on downshifts, etc. Its much more fun than a new DTC tranny that blips the throttle for you and changes gears so fast that there is no soul left in the system to enjoy.

Oh I forgot. My CS with a similar F1 system must suck too.
    Keep your 348 manuals and I’ll keep my Stradale and 355 F1.

This is getting so tiring......

J. Salmon, Steve355F1, MAD828 and 2 others like this.
  17. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #17 Wade, Jan 16, 2019
    Love these! Someday I'll find a spare set...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

18. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    They all suck unless they are looked after.
    If the are looked after I think they are all great.

carnutdallas and WATSON like this.
  19. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    The whole F1 thing reminds me of pet owners. There are no bad pets, just owners.
    355 F1s are the exact same. As far as that goes there are no bad manual 355s either.
    Thats why I get a kick out of some people who take one for a test drive and say hiw they suck compared to a _____.

It was back in 1994 when the 348s suck because of their high speed handling.
    I say quit complaining and fix it. We all know how now.
    Somethings never change.

Skippr1999 and Dave rocks like this.
  20. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Very well said.

Dave rocks likes this.
  21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Search and you'll find endless comparisons. There are pro and cons to both. Only you can decide which appeals to you most, and the only way to do that definitively is by driving both.

It's all hearsay and irrelevant no matter how much you ask until you do.

deeej84 and Wade like this.
  22. R&D

R&D Karting

Mar 16, 2015
    USA
    Full Name:
    Kris
    I like the 348. Very engaging to drive. The handling is snappier than many cars, but when the back breaks away the non assisted-wheel has a lot of "auto-centering" in it to make it pretty easy to catch. Here's a video of a throwaway autocross run where I purposely pushed it past the limit in pretty much every corner to explore the handling. On the street you have to be aware of these handling traits and treat it with care, but that makes it pretty exciting to drive I think... I doubt it's any worse than an old air cooled Porsche.

PineChris likes this.
  23. R&D

R&D Karting

Mar 16, 2015
    USA
    Full Name:
    Kris
    I suppose I should also point out that the car improves with modern tires. That first video is with some old ****ty tires. This is with new Dunlop Direzzas and driving normal. You can see how much more well-behaved the car is. Long story short if you're comparing 348 vs 355 I can't really comment on the transmission choice (it's a personal preference thing) but with regards to handling I just wanna say that I think the 348 gets a worse reputation than it deserves. The upsides are that the steering feel is phenomenal (even better than the 991 GT3 I've driven on track). The brake feel is also amazing. The car literally feels like a big go kart when you're driving it, and I've never driven another car that feels that way. Not even modern Ferraris (I've driven an F430 and a 488 GTB fast) quite have that hyper connected feel. It's like you're touching the road surface in hi-fidelity with your fingertips in the 348, and it's really satisfying to drive. That said, it's not a very fast car, but when it feels that great to drive I'll bet most people wouldn't care. Good luck with your decision! You really can't go wrong with either car.

kandi and bjwhite like this.
  24. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Things are personal preference. If you gave me an F1 for free, Id return it. Sorry. Its the first gen, the shifts are slow as molasses, and repair bills astronomical .

25. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The F1 is much better in the 360Cs than the 355, but yet even so I personally would not buy one. A shame that the 360CS was not available in a manual. That would of been a great car.
    So you can keep your Stradale and 355F1.