New CA Exhaust law | FerrariChat

New CA Exhaust law

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by robertgarven, Jan 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
  2. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    I find this one interesting. I am now a city dweller in San Diego and find it more of an issue. People are just cruising and revving the crap out of their engines for no reason but to get the sound out there and get attention. Rev battles at car shows - lame! I wouldn't mind a louder exhaust but its the behavior that goes along with it that has me upset. Some cars should be quieter.

The new law - well I think an instant $1K fine is stupid and from what I've heard, it is held to outdated exhaust standards. Cops will abuse it.

cls and Sky Hye like this.
  3. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm with you. In Downtown LA especially, cars running straight pipes, or the loudest exhaust the owner can buy, rip through the streets at night just to hear how loud they can be. I guess they like the sound reflecting off the buildings. There should be a standard that's enforceable to stop some of the abuses.

TestShoot and Rifledriver like this.
  4. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
  5. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    As an auto enthusiast and car lover, I could sleep soundly next to a race track. But then again that's me. I honestly don't care or mind loud exhausts. And I personally think it is a waste of government assets, but then again that's just my opinion. I know the law is there to prevent abuse of loud exhausts, but yet motorcycles do not have the same noise restrictions. Which again I understand because they need to be seen and heard so they can survive the trip.

In the end I get the frustrations on both sides. Unfortunately on either side of the coin the policy can and will be abused.

I do not worry about the straight piped car revving loudly. It is the quiet sneaky cars that I worry about lol.

In my personal opinion, I believe it should be a circumstantial violation. If you are just cruising the blvd and not making a scene but your exhaust is louder than stock and has been modified I do not see the problem with that. Now to the people who want to do revouts and wot pulls in areas and times that people are getting effected then that should be a ticketed offense. I understand even with this policy it still can get abused, I just do not like blanket policies that also punish the innocent.

In the end, it is another revenue making stream for the state. I live in a state where heroin injection sites are okay, but a modified exhaust warrants a $1000 fine. This to me makes me scratch my head...

LI2782 and randkin like this.
  6. ahmadj

ahmadj Rookie

Jan 12, 2012
    I will be so screwed. I have A/M headers and a tubi exhaust on my f430. No valves. That will be a big issue if I get stopped. Yet harleys and choppers get away clean...

7. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    The law about sound did not change. Just went from a fixit ticket to a fine. I think a fine may be a better option then fixing the exhaust in lots of cases

8. 1monza

1monza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2005
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Norbert Hofer
    You'll still need to fix the exhaust on top of the fine!

9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Unless something has changed California has the same standards for motorcycles as they do for cars. For a number of years CHP has defended to some degree allowing louder motorcycles to operate as a safety measure. They are correct, a louder motorcycle is more noticed and less likely to be hit. The problem with loud exhaust is it is so seldom enforced and inconsistently enforced. Growing up and driving various modified cars in the 70's I routinely was ticketed for loud exhaust with cars that were quieter that a stock 430 is. CHP used to set up noise monitoring stations near Laguna Seca and wrote bushel baskets full of loud exhaust tickets on race weekends.

So few agencies write those tickets anymore seeing motorcycles with straight pipes and cars with very loud exhausts has become the norm and I'd be happy if most of them were put off the road. Big difference between cars that are a little louder than stock that we had as teenagers and what people routinely get away with now.

As far as raising revenue for the state you haven't seen anything yet. The next 4 years will be one big program to get more money for Sacramento.

galt, Testarossa Sean and Red 27 like this.
  10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And the evil automobile and the evil automobile enthusiast will be a big contributor to that fund raising drive.

RWP137 likes this.
  11. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    How about posting the new law so we can all read it in detail

12. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    I remember my brother getting exhaust noise tickets on the old 101 freeway through Gilroy when he would travel back and forth between more terey and sanjose during his college years. He had a glass pack type exhaust on his 64 356C and when he would get to our house in Monterey he would put a baffle made from a metal 7up can bteween the headers and glass pack. He'd take it and get the fix-it ticket signed off and then remove the baffle. He said he just needed to run it higher gear at lower revs to keep the db's down. Must of happened 4-5 times over his college years as I recall.
    Everyone gets away with way to much nowadays. Has ruined many a Cars & Coffees Venues over the years as I have witnessed.

13. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    I get your point. Unfortunately Laguna Seca is a terrible area for modded vehicles despite the fact a race track exists there. The problem is a lot of people built residences in the area of a race track and now complain of the noise. These complaints a long with lots of money backing these complaints instigated LEO's to enforce those laws. In so doing it also forced the race track to also enforce a decibel level for cars on the track.

In the end, the moral of the story is living near a race track may not be the most peaceful option, and if you have a loud car, to stay away from the area. Except during car week. I have noticed LEOs tend to be more lenient during this time as I am sure city officials would rather have the financial benefits of that event rather than pissing everyone off with tickets.

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Clear out in Salinas near 101? I am talking about in the 80's .

15. Testarossa Sean

Testarossa Sean Karting

May 13, 2018
    California
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Remember, loud pipes save lives! A motorcycle thing.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

16. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Could be trouble right here in river city (for me anyway)!

17. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Yes, the noise limits did not change. However, the punishment has become significantly more severe. The two main things that changed are:
    1. Mandatory and immediate fine (up to $1000)
    2. Mandatory inspection by state referee
    The key effect of point 1 is not the cost to your wallets. At least on this forum, I think everyone can afford the ticket. What's key is that the mandatory fine means near guaranteed revenue for the government. This means that police officers will be far more likely to enforce and give a ticket for modified exhausts than before, even though the noise limits did not change.

Point 2 is huge inconvenience for anyone ticketed. It means you legally cannot drive your car until the inspection, and the inspection is mandatory. Before, the inspection is optional and not nearly as stringent...and you can still drive in the meantime. State Referee inspections are far more comprehensive...just because you got an exhaust ticket, does not mean that is the only thing that will be inspected. The State Ref may decide to inspect all aspects of your car, and even if you put your exhaust back to stock, you may fail regardless due to a totally unrelated aspect of your car.

Finally, the law still states that determination of noise violation is still subjective to the officer. This means that a stock car could very well get this violation written. While the victim could defend this in court, this is still a huge hassle.

TTR likes this.
  18. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    On the Fiat Abarth groups, there's quite a bit of complaints about this. Apparently the dead-stock setup is enough to trigger the cop & ref, and some have reported failing the ref test even with proof from the dealer that it is a stock car.

19. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    Have never understood why CA continues to shoot itself in the foot. Glad I moved out last year.

Rifledriver and Testarossa Sean like this.
  20. FerrariFab

FerrariFab Karting

Jan 14, 2010
    Inland Empire
    Full Name:
    CFI Designs

I think you nailed it. The state ref issue is the biggest problem with this ticket.

21. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    I was listening to the smoking tire podcast who had one of the experts on this and would like to share some detail.

An officer has the right to pull you over and subjectively give a ticket if he thinks that your car is too loud (it is not an automatic fine)
    You then have to go to a BAR certified station / state referee within a short time period to do a volume test
    • these tests are typically done at a community college auto shop
    • You do seven pulls in neutral up to 3000 RPM
    • the sound meter is immediately behind the car and the limit is 98db (unlikely unless you have a ridiculously loud car - not under load)
    • If you pass or fail, you are required to go to court to show your results
    • if you fail the max fine for a first offense is $250
    • This can also apply to motorcycles now!
    there is a lot of ambiguity around this all. there is no standard of testing by the police. There are documented cases of factory cars (a GT3RS) that was issued the ticket. It is clogging up the testing stations and soon the court system. There are no clear rules about fines. SEMA is working with the state to either abolish this or set better standards. If you have a loud exhaust - think about when / where you are and who could be around you!

22. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    sltillim and Testarossa Sean like this.
  23. Testarossa Sean

Testarossa Sean Karting

May 13, 2018
    California
    Full Name:
    Sean
  24. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I think you’re still within the decibels limit with that exhaust

25. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    Cerritos is a bit of a trek to Topanga; but, did you ever hear mine leaving Dustin's? It's (or was..) pretty loud. Those are only 18".