Alfa Giulia Ti Reliability ?? | FerrariChat

Alfa Giulia Ti Reliability ??

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by copterjon, Jan 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    I've really been intrigued by this car since it came out and am just now really considering one as a replacement for my wife's Cayman. The Cayman has been great and easy to maintain, I do everything on it myself. Thing is we really need a car in the household with four doors and a back seat. Hauling the grand kid and his hockey gear around in a my 911 is getting old. I'm worried about reliability though as a daily driver for her. Any input would greatly be appreciated. I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a used one with 8,000 miles on it.
    Thanks in advance!
    CJ

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I tried the Ti before buying a QV. I was sold on it... I went back to buy the Ti and got upsold prior to signing.

Zippy engine with 280hp, and the steering is sharp and direct, feeling much better than the 3/4 series BMW. Overall it was more fun than any other sedan I had tried. Size is comparable to a 3er. Trunk is pretty good for a small sedan. Rear seats a little on the small side but fit three kids fine.

If you join GiuliaForums you will see that the main complaints seem to be electronic: throttle error, transmission, etc. I'm not sure you can handle a lot yourself though, it's pretty modern and electronic everything.

They have a base warranty and like other FCA brands offer extended warranties.

3. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    I've put about 20kmiles on 3 different Giulias, the first 2 were 2017's and my latest company car is a 2018 TI. All of them were faultless overall with the first one needing a re-flash for a software update.

If possible get a 2018 or newer as they've made small improvements over the previous year, mostly in terms of programming, electronic and overall fit and finish is better.

Most of the early build models suffered from some electronic programming issues which have been resolved.

My advice is get a 2018 with a CPO ( 1700-2K$) and enjoy one of the most refined, balanced and involving sedans on the market.

4. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    Hi,
    Thanks for the replies. The car I'm looking at is a MY 17. It's also a manufactures buy back/Lemon law deal. They say FCA could not replicate the complaint of the driver side door lock not working. I'm thinking that there was probably way more going wrong and that's just the straw that got it bought back. I'm not sure I'm comfortable buying a new one so at this point I'm going to hang back and consider other brands.

5. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    We have 17k miles on our 2018 Giulia Ti Sport rwd, and not a single thing has gone wrong :) Knock on wood... No issues with my 4c or Giulia Quad either, but far less miles on those.

Boomhauer and copterjon like this.
  6. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    That's great to hear and lifting my spirit as we are really in a do we or don't we situation. My wife is pretty bummed that I'm leaning away from doing this. She was pretty stoked all week in anticipation of her new ride.
    The fat lady hasn't sung yet but she is backstage warming up.
    My interest is peaked.

7. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

buy the alfa. treat your wife to a sexy car that will make her feel even more special than she must normally feel. the reliability concerns I truly believe have been pushed by people that have little to no real basis. the issues that have come up have been mostly infotainment and software upgrades...all done quickly and at the dealer at no charge.

the warranty from the factory would keep me largely comfy even on a factory buy back...particularly on a 2.0 turbo. get a TI sport trim if you are able as they look and drive great.

performance from the 4 cyl is quite solid w/ 0-60 under 5 seconds and 1/4 in the 13 second range @ ~104mph trap speed...not bad at all!!! handling is fantastic and the chassis is something to behold and the steering is like you have never experienced short of a formula atlantic or sports racer!!

I bought my qv over a year ago and now have 4k miles on her...she has been outstanding and the drive is so damn fun and engaging...I literally look for an excuse to go for a drive.

I am actually proud of this car as it is so friggin kewel!!

8. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Good reliability I hear.

This link is to UK consumer car magazine and the table shows two things , that all modern cars in this segment are pretty reliable and that the Alfa stacks up well against the German alternatives.
    https://www.whatcar.com/news/2018-what-car-reliability-survey/n17810
    The chances that it would let your wife down in a serious way are statistically very small.

Mainly though, just look at it !
    It's a gorgeous RWD Alfa !
    It's in the Ferrari family.
    When I visited Marenello the car park out front of the engine plant was full of them.

Also note woman driving Alfa Romeos are, by definition, fun and attractive, men are cool and stylish.
    It's like a law.

Its the only 4 door sedan I would consider and I even tired to tell myself I needed a 4 Door sedan just to buy one.
    I don't, but if only they built a wagon, I would be all over it.

Boomhauer likes this.
  9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Arent they under warranty for 4 years? Give it a chance for 1 year and see how you like it. If yes, then trade 17 for a new one. It seems Alfa is always having incentives and great deals on inventory.

10. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    TexasF355F1, Boomhauer and 635CSI like this.
  11. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Ferrari employees get a good discount on Alfas (Fiat and Lancia too I suspect) I was told whilst in Maranello.

To the OP. I have had three Alfas, none brand new (newest was 5) and they were not without problems but nothing any secondhand older car might have. The 20 years old Spider did eventually tire me out. I had it for seven years (longest I have ever owned any car) but the last two were difficult.
    Giulia is a great car and IMHO no more or less reliable than the next brand. As said, just look at it.

12. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Has anyone test driven the Stelvio and whats their take on it, thinking about one for the wife.

13. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    I test drove the Ti Sport this weekend and have to say I was more than pleased and surprised with everything about the car. What a powerful little 2 litre. The chassis, the transmission, everything! WOW! I told my wife I might just have to make this my DD and she can drive my oops! OUR 997. Now it's really a game with the dealer on trading in the Cayman. I hate this back and forth crap but ya have to play the game I guess. I'm even considering a 997 swap up to a Quadrifoglio but then that still leaves her with the Cayman and she's tired of the 5 speed. A real first world dilemma I'm happy to have.
    Thank you to everyone who has replied to my post, It really helped.

635CSI, ferraripete and ryalex like this.
  14. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Drove our Ti Sport the other day - almost at 20k miles... Craig, check the Stelvio thread. An Italien friend of mine just got a Stelvio and loves it - though still honeymoon... :)

15. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

try the qv...try it I dare you:)

I drove mine this morning and must admit I took the long way to the coffee shop and burned a air amount of p-zero while out there:)) I really love my alfa.

16. TMan

TMan Formula Junior

May 13, 2006
    Colorful Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have an early '17 Ti Q4 with 19,000 mi., no problems at all except a couple of software updates. Get it you'll love it!