Maserati Khamsin | Page 299 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Does anybody know who is the owner of this special K in Germany?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

(I confess I did not go through the 745 pages of this thread)
    Not only it is probably the sole K that had its front face and bumper transformed in that way, but also it may be the sole one equipped with original BBS RS 16" wheels specially designed for Masers of that period with the 4x130 PCD.

These BBS wheels were designed for Merak's but are also sometimes installed on Bora's.
    There were 8"x16" wheels for the front and 10"x16" for the rear, adapted to the central engine configuration of these cars.

What is unique with this K is that she is equipped with the big 10" wheels on the four corners with 255 wide Pilot Sport's also on front wheels.
    This is understandable on a heavy car with front engine configuration, but not straightforward wrt steering and handling.
    I would like to know from the owner if that required specific adjustments (spacers? smaller barrels?) to clear the steering/suspension components on the front and the fenders on the rear, and if the steering and handling are not too much impacted, even though considering the power steering assistance on the K.

For reference, here is a similar view showing the configuration with original wheels/tires:

I am asking that because I own a late Indy 4900 also with power steering and I have sourced such BBS RS wheels that I would like to install on my car.
    But the available room in the wheel wells of the Indy seems not to be as ample as on the K, and I am fearing clearance issues with steering/suspension components as well as handling issues with big tires on the front.
    I would therefore appreciate first hand info from the owner of that K before buying expensive Pilot Sports and/or modify the front (and rear) 3 pc. RS wheels.
    If by luck the owner is an F-chatter and could contact me (PM) or if anybody could direct me, that would be appreciated.

71Satisfaction likes this.
  2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #7452 Nembo1777, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Hello Froggie,

I have a lot on my plate right now but I will put you in touch with R.S. the owner of AM120.328 later today. That car was found in very poor shape in the middle east decades ago and modified in Germany, there was no factory involvement at all in the way the car looks now. R.S. bought it later.

It is mentioned in my book and the owner also discusses these rims in it, the car actually had to be re-homologated in Germany via TUV the country's MOT or mandatory technical safety control due to the different sizes. A small handful of K's in Germany and Switzerland were shod that way.

If you search 328 in this thread (which you can do in the search function) you will find discussion of that car.

Do bear in mind that a Khamsin and Indy have very little in common, that K's have the Diravi assisted steering and also a much better weight distribution at near 50/50 front to rear whereas he Indy is quite nose heavy. Be very cautious when attempting to fit larger tires checking constantly for any rubbing and tire failure risks.

On another note thank you very much to all who sent me very kind emails since January 2, I will answer each one eventually but that topic should not be mentioned here of course.

Best regards,

Marc

3. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Thank you Marc, you are most helpful.
    Here is for reference the link you make to AM120328 in this thread:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/maserati-khamsin.187217/page-587#post-144121943

Very useful to know that the owner had the car re-homologated by TÜV with such wheels so that it is road legal.

I understand how different is the "antique" Indy regarding weight distribution, steering and suspension, especially with its rear live axle, heavier nose and steering.
    At least, mine has power steering, even if not the Diravi system.
    May be worth discussing with R.S. what is his experience and feeling.
    I will indeed be very interested to have his contact details.

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Froggie: PM sent, good luck!

5. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Happy New year to all K'ers.
    Full apologies for my sudden absence after asking so many questions about lights and wiring. All replies were appreciated and continue to be helpful. I simply shifted life focus to family for the holidays... and thoroughly enjoyed it. I highly recommend it!

All but one wiring situation have been resolved now.. and if it weren't for the 5 inches of snow that has fallen today ...so far, I might be driving it even today!.. well, not quite...

The only electrical issue I still have is the "reverse" behaviour of the reverse lights. I will get into that issue tomorrow. I did raise the car up a little more to shuffle underneath. (Front wheels raised 10" and 6" on the back - still a bit tight). When I looked and felt (just barely able to touch the wire with fingers..) I found the switch on the back of the transmission, but there is no way I can get in there with the clearance around the exhaust I have and the angle of attack I have under the car. Tomorrow I will see if I can find the other end of the wire bundle to see if something is fishy/mixed/crossed there. I was not able to get a good picture (yet) of the switch to see which polarity the wires are in... but based on some other simple revered wires I had to swap around .. it may be simple.. even though I do appreciate this is either an open or closed circuit... perhaps the grounding is effectively backwards... Will find out.....and share my discoveries...

A new question, does anyone else have floor drain holes in the cabin space once you remove the carpets and undermat? I have several perfectly round holes (thankfully with no corrosion),, and wondered what the guidance is on closing/sealing them (well fit rubber caps.. or something else like Duck tape ;)... NOT)

Other updates on my restore....
    - I managed to purchase a second full set of rims later last year.. with old rubber .. the rims are immaculate and dated from memory (stamped) around 1975 or 76. no cosmetic cover disks or fake knock off big nuts... but those I will either buy, or have machined... any ideas for cost effective options?
    - I also have removed and re-installed the window lift dash switches. The amount of sand (and related corrosion) that came out was impressive. A little time capsule of it's early days in Kuwait as my family drove to the beach via the desert. Once removed, a very patient and gentle handed friend of mine took them apart, cleaned, and put them back together (wow, what a piece of engineering inside if you have never seen them). They work perfectly now and feel better than ever. The only remaining task on the windows is to release one cable pulley wheel in each door. They are seized.. and of course, where I cannot easily get at them, but it will happen.

More to follow. I hope the year has started well for all...
    Richard

6. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    #7457 010, Jan 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    oh... I am not sure I have shared a recent picture.. so here is the outside.. The inside is not yet ready for public consumption, but the outside.... "oh so nice and classy" in my opinion... and yes, the original colour/tone/etc.

The tires are temporary, but they fit

Interesting Note : My black V70R behind it is 57.6 inches tall, the Khamsin is 46.5. The R is a very low car already being shorter than most.. the comparison put's things in perspective. Weight difference is 3,836 lbs vs 3,307 (~1500kg). One accelerates faster, the other has a higher top speed (not that I would ever try it anymore as it looks fast enough standing still !)

I should finish with... "and we all know which one is more engaging to drive".

MK1044 likes this.
  7. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    I think that the drain holes on the floor were there to drain the various liquids (cleaning, passivating, etc.) when the whole structure was immersed for painting.
    Some shops offer sets of rubber plugs to fit in (e.g. SNGB in UK does it for the Jaguar E-Type's). Not sure what is available for Maserati though

Regarding access underneath of the car, that seems to be a common issue for Maserati GT's of that era when you don't have a lift but only floor jacks and axle stands.
    The Indy is even lower than the Khamsin...

8. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Interesting on the paint process drip hole info Thank you for that background. and yes, I was thinking of some form of plug. I obviously want somethign that seals well but that also be maintained/check... I wonder if these were ever permanently closed by anyone with no negative impact. What is under most early K's ?

As for the under access. I see it would not be that difficult to remove the exhaust pieces, but certainly a bit time consuming (not too mention uncomfortable) with its current height. I know I can lift it higher...... may think about it. Perhaps a big hole underneath it in my garage would work too like at the drive through oil changers. Will look for the other end of the wire bundle first.... I had the clutch plates replaced 2 years ago, so the wires may have switched by accident ... or.... not touched at all (he is on holiday this month so cannot ask),
    Thanks again.

A Correction from my first post yesterday, the new rims (to me) are from 1978 according to the inner stamp in the picture I just found of them all. Perhaps they will become my drivers (with the original as spares) once I put proper rubber on them.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Nice find, that set of nearly new wheels.
    The paint finish looks to be better than on my own Campagnolo's (on an Indy of 1973).
    Maybe they improved the quality of the painting for the later Khamsin's (if yours are from another Khamsin).

You can see, on the pic here under of the spare wheel that I believe was never used (equipped with an original 205/70 XWX instead of the later 215/70's), a number of paint drips on the back-face of the wheel:

10. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I think you are right, as the finish of my (74ish) originals is also not perfect... Is the spare of an Indy full size, or is this simply an additional full size rim. my Khamins spare is a much narrower donut in comparison. Perhaps just the term used.... but I have been thinking it would be good to carry a full size spare (tire installed on rim), as not all places here have the equipment to mount tires onto these rims... (mine were sent to a motorbiek shop for mouning.. Perhaps the longer road trips have the full size passenger ;)... now what shall I put in the spare wheel space under the engine... lunch for warming?
    r

11. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    I think it is the original spare (full size): there is ample place in the boot of the Indy.
    In the Khamsin, there is not much place below the rad in the front of the car where the spare is located, hence a narrow one

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I hope you don't intend to drive those anywhere Richard other than in a parking lot or workshop, that reminds me of seeing one K arrive at an event a few years ago, the daughter of the owner and her fiance had decided to come with a car that had sat for years and the tires were so old and dried they were green. They were clueless. When I started explaining they were really in great danger driving that they did not want to listen but I got other people to confirm it to them so duly aware at the end of the day they drove home verrry slowly...I once saw a 246GTS blow a tire at top speed at the Dijon circuit during an 80's track day tearing off the rear wing/fender turns out the car had sat on far too low pressures all winter...

Thanks for the report on your resto progress good to read.

13. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Hello sir..the tires on the car are only just 2 yrs old now (not the right ones but they fit and drive just fine)...

The tires on the extra rims (new to me) are the older ones.. and yes. They will be certainly be replaced if I use those rims one day.. currently they simply protect the rims within. I think they are coming up on at least 18 yrs old based on a date code I saw!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

14. achimguenther1

Nov 6, 2011
    Germany, Baunatal
    Full Name:
    Achim Günther
    Hello,
    I have the problem of vibrations in the drive train at higher speed. I tried a lot: Balance wheels and main shaft, bisc brakes... My last idea are the differential mounts.
    These rubber mounts of the Khamsin differential fixture are no more available. He my solution with parts from AMC Mecanicaucho ( AT 21 3 Loch) and my self made fixtures.
    Today I will check if the flanges of transmission and differential are parallel. In case not, I will adjust it whith shims. Then mount everything.
    Does anybody have further experience / advise ?
    I did not try out yet. I will see the result in spring.
    May be it is interesting for the Khamsin owners.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Achim...

Please keep us posted on the results of your testing!

Mike

010 likes this.
  16. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Achim, I second Mike .. Nice handy work btw. I have not had this problem, but ams still "new" to the car. Goodluck.

the only thing I had to deal with on my car abotu a non smooth ride was a slow speed, and this was caused by the clutch pack needing to be replaced (a stack of small rings about 5 inches in diameter) that seems to be grinding. These were replaced and all was well.

17. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Greetings... Does anyone know where I can find a compatible replacement for the reverse switch that triggers the reverse lights. Mine is still functioning exactly opposite to how it should... I will wait until the spring to remove the central exhaust unit to gain sufficient access to remove it. Maybe I can fix the switch but if not, I'd like to have a spare ready to swap in... MIE and most other international places I have tried do not have spares... New or used....

Has anyone ever taken theirs out or apart? Any close up pictures?

Thank you...this is the only non correct electrical part on the car now...
    Richard

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello all, FYI I will be at Retromobile in Paris all day today and only today from ten to six, hope to meet lots of Khamsistas!
    Message me if you are here.
    Saw five K's in past few weeks so a good start to the year:)
    All the best,
    Marc

19. barnfieldman

barnfieldman Rookie

Apr 18, 2006
  20. Martin B

Martin B Rookie

Jun 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martijn Baeten
    Hi Marc

I hope you enjoyed the 1102!

Greetings Martijn

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met FerrariChat

21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Martijn,

Yes when visiting Holland 10 days ago for other matters I was taken to a workshop, Classic Skills, a very fine one doing superb work and surprise surprise there was a silver black US Khamsin being completely restored to the very highest standards, with Euro bumpers of course, I was very impressed by that and the workshop owner Noek Stevens, who gave us a tour despite being in a hurry.

When I later looked in my archives and saw the appalling condition of the car a few years ago when it arrived from the US at a dealership in Italy -a real scare crow- it was heartwarming to see that it is being rescued and reborn so congratulations to you for doing so!
    I will post some before and after pictures (if it is ok with you) in the next few days.

Good luck with the completion of the job:)

Best regards,

Marc

22. Martin B

Martin B Rookie

Jun 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martijn Baeten
    Hi,

Is there annyone who did a us spec steering wheel switch back to the european nardi? Did you machine the existing adapter? Any chance there are any maserati Horn buttons for sale for the Nardi wheel?

Greetings Martijn

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met FerrariChat

23. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Martin B likes this.
  24. khamsin433

khamsin433 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    Hi Martijn,

I’d be interested in your findings as I’d love to have a nardi wheel on my car too.
    Whilst a wheel could be had from Nardi, it’s the adapter/ boss that I got stuck on.

Cheers

Bal

boralogist and Martin B like this.