Chronometric Tachometer | FerrariChat

Chronometric Tachometer

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Bob Zambelli, Jan 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Can't remember if I posted anything on this before but after seeing some of the beautiful pictures of vintage Ferrari interiors and dashboards, I thought about this type of tach.
    Was it ever used in the older Ferrari road cars?
    Back in the 60s when I lived in Milano, I helped a friend who maintained a few Italian race cars from the 50s.
    In particular, we worked on Stanguelinni and OSCA, as well as some British cars.
    Quite a few of them had chronometric tachs.

2. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Bob,

0556/0446/MD had a chronometric tach but of course it was a race car. For the street cars I would presume that Ferrari would have used Veglia and not Smiths tachs.
    One caution about the chronometric tachs, and that is they constantly lag the actual revs particularly when rapidly increasing the revs.

Best regards,

Robert

375+ likes this.
  3. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Hello, Admiral – thanks for the response.

Yes, I totally agree regarding the response time of the chronometric tach.

In fact, I never really understood the entire concept!

Back in the late 50s when we were racing SCCA in South Jersey, there were a few old British cars with chronometric tachs. The owners referred to it as a ”blow it before you know it tach”.

If you remember the movie “Gran Prix”, you’ll note that a few of the cockpit shots showed these tachs.

Anyone remember racing in Vineland, NJ? It is my home town.

Bob Z.

375+ likes this.
  4. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Bob,

Back in May of 1964 I drove the Ferrari down from Bayonne to race at the Northern New Jersey's SCCA Driver's Trophy Race. That race was held on the old Vineland Speedway. It had a drag strip, a ¼ mile oval and the 1.5 mile road course. The SCCA Tech Inspector was Lou Schultz. I put a muffler on for the trip and ran the normal straight pipe on the track, put the muffler back on for the trip home. Had one exciting off track excursion in practice that I still remember quite well. I finished third in SCCA Class E Modified. That was about the same time you were running the black and yellow Triumph TR3A, #17 in Production Class H.

In September 2010 I was back in Vineland for the FCA National where my car won the top five trophies including Best Of Show. Did spend many laps on the Thunderbolt Course at the New Jersey Motorsports Complex, (Millville). These laps were really fun because they were the first laps after I finally had modern brake lining on my drum brake shoes. After they bedded in it was quite amazing how much more quickly the car slowed down. By the end of the weekend my braking points were much later than at the beginning.

Best regards,

Robert

4re308 and 375+ like this.
  5. Kram

Kram Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    Park bench, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mark

The concept was that in the instant you had to glance at the tach the needle wouldn't be wobbling all over the place. It would tell you - something. Might not be accurate, but it was better than a wobble.

6. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Check the tachometer on the Lancia D-50!

7. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Forgot the link!

freedomgli, 4re308 and theowinstone like this.