Which one will you give up? | FerrariChat

Which one will you give up?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by iloveferrari, Jan 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Which one will you give up for a F12?

2015 458 or 2016 FF?

My 458 has a 310 sticker and it's very elegant. I am afraid I won't run into a spec like that in the future. I am sure I am regretful to let it go.
    And I just bought the extended warranty!

The FF is supposed to be a weekend family car but I got it for the family. I am already feeling guilty if I trade it in for the F12 and lose 2 seats.

Can't have 3 F simultaneously. just crazy. Should really buy a house instead. I know. Please just indulge me, for those of you who were/are in the similar situation, how did you come to your conclusion?

Thanks

2. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    haha look what Ferrari did to you! Good to have this problem.

Here's my experience, talking about what I went thru is easier than telling you what to do. I always drive any car I feel like, during daily basic, I don't set any schedule to drive. It's purely up to my mood.

Last summer I had 458 Coupe, 488 Spider, and F12 altogether. I drove the F12 the most, it's my daily actually because there are no other cars I would prefer over the F12 when it comes to driving experience. I would drive my 488 spider but it only happened over the weekends. 458 coupe was pretty sad tbh, I only took her out when she's been parking too long and took her for a day.
    Right now I have F12, 812 and Lusso. I always drive the Lusso when I have a busy schedule for the day or need to go out of town. 812 gets my attention pretty much every day. When I'm not driving the 812, I would actually miss it. Sometimes I do miss my 488 Spider during a sunny day, especially when I see another drop-top passing by. I don't drive the F12 like used to, her duty was taken over by the 812 at the moment.
    Would I miss a 458? Hmmm, sometimes I do, especially when I see someone else driving one.
    Would I drive the 458 often if I had one? Hmm, probably not.
    Would I buy another 458? Yes, when I find a perfect spec one I would like to buy it and keep it in the garage.

So, let's get back to you. If put me in your shoes, I would come up with 2 decisions:
    1. FF + F12.
    2. 458 Spider/ 488 Spider + F12.

Hope it helps. Good luck with your shopping!

3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Will you regret not having a cool family car? If not trade the FF otherwise stay put. 458 is a keeper. Best case have 3 Ferraris, nothing wrong with that.

uhn2000 likes this.
  4. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Thanks to both of you.

I know. I run into this F12. The spec is simply stunning...I am so so so tempted... My wife literally was like I won't dance along this time.... but she said that every time I bought a car too. Lol.

I don't think I would run into another F12 like this spec in the future too...

Most logically is to trade in the FF for the F12, keep the 458. But two Ferrari with only 4 seats total! They must think I am the most selfish person.

5. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    This isn't the Psychology Today forum:):):)

6. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    See how conflicted I feel? Doc.

m5shiv likes this.
  7. Tireman

Tireman Karting

Nov 13, 2011
    Canada
    I had 458 and FF and traded both for F12... Happy

8. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    Question: How often do you really use the rear seat in the FF?

(Background: I have a FF from 2016, I got it for the 4 seats and 4wd - however I think I used the rear seats at three times during this period which is close to 3 years - I could easily have a 2-seat car instead as I used to (had a MB 500 SL 2013 (I think it's labeled MB SL 560 in US)))

uhn2000, MDEL and Caeruleus11 like this.
  9. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Get rid of FF- you can always replace it later (for a hell of a lot less). A 3 year 458 is still depreciating, but not as fast, nor does it has as far to fall, as a '16 FF.

Good luck

Mike

uhn2000, MDEL and Caeruleus11 like this.
  10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    /\
    This is what really matters. I used my FF as a DD and the backseats were used all the time with my kids.

Just a thought, if you trade the FF for the F12 you can always buy a more cost effective family car with 4 seats for those few trips.

11. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    There is no substitute to having a Ferrari for the family....If you keep the 458 and F12 one will sit a lot....I went from a 458 to Lusso and haven't looked back.....that along with a GT3RS makes for a fun garage....having 2 2-seaters with kids does not work.....

MDEL likes this.
  12. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Similar situation, it's a mind ****.

I just went through it 4 months ago with choosing an F12 that replaced my 430 spider instead of replacing my 612 which I kept.

Now I am toying with upgrading/ ordering new an 812 , but to do so the 612 might really have to go. Just crazy mind games going on over here too.

:)

uhn2000 and MDEL like this.
  13. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    F12.... and hire a limo the few times you would use a Ferrari "backseat!"

uhn2000 and MDEL like this.
  14. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    keep 458 and ff. no point in getting an f12 unless its your ownly ferrari
    if u must get f12 then flip a coin. if you live in cold/snow area keep ff. if not go with 458

yamashek and Caeruleus11 like this.
  15. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I can almost never follow this advice, but I will say it anyway: don't do the: "I'll never find this again" thing. It's possible you are right, but speaking from personal experience, this is what I tell myself to justify certain purchases. Sometimes I am correct, yet, often I am not!:) The allure of something new is almost always very strong. Resist!

I suggest as @ttforcefed says- keep what you have. The F12 is an absolutely fantastic car, but IMHO the 458 is the most fun modern car I've ever driven. So I would not sell the 458.

However, if resistance proves futile, and, you really must have this F12 and thus, sell one, then I agree with @Bamsefar asks: how do you use the FF. If its really a rare occasion to use the extra seats, and you'd rather have bit smaller, lighter, more nimble, faster, way better looking version of the FF, then you sell the FF and get the F12. Don't sell the 458.

iloveferrari, john Owen and MDEL like this.
  16. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Polygamy is nothing unusual with some Ferrari owners and what we see more often is a new one joining to enlarge the family and not leaving. The newcomer becomes the immediate center of attention for these lucky owners and, the others, tend to be relegated, at least temporarily, to the position non-favorite. These owner’s love for all of them is genuine and they can’t be blamed for seeking and preferring novelty. That’s what happens when you adding but if you are subtracting as is the case things become much more difficult. Three beauties, each one her own way, and you thinking of dumping one. How do you do this? Show gratitude for the good times you had with her and let her know that she can still count on you as a great admirer.
    That said rationally you could keep the FF because of practicality and family convenience but bring home a new V12 to fulfill the functions of a dedicated wife and a mistress.

My 1st and Caeruleus11 like this.
  17. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    My wife and I each had 2 seaters for a while and when ever someone would come to visit it seemed like we were always taking 2 cars to go to shows etc. Not the best situation.

18. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Stomp on the F12 on a cold day and you will find out your new love has a wild side :)

MDEL likes this.
  19. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    FWIW: When (if?) the 812 "SuperSpider" becomes available, I will get one and sell my FF. Yes I live in snowland (we got 10 cm of snow just this afternoon) so I do tend to like the 4WD support - however I also lived with the MB SL 500 rear wheel drive. That worked perfectly, so I guess if the 812 SuperSpider gets a hard roof, like the Portofino, I will drive it wintertime - otherwise it will be "summer only" kind of car :)

Not sure this helps @iloveferrari - but it proves (for me) that if you don't need the rear seats, don't own a FF or GTC4 Lusso.

20. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I also think the 4 seaters have a little bit more relaxed personality. So even if you don't use the seats, you might like having this (relatively) little more easy going Ferrari. The 458 is like a young kid who always wants to play.

21. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    Well one thing is for sure: No one seems to know what I drive, it's like "what, you have a 4WD Ferrari?" or "How can that be a Ferrari, it got a a trunk?" - and a few more of funny version. It is with other words a bit more discrete (except when I start the engine).

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  22. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Thank you for all of your responses. They are very helpful in giving me different perspective. With my son in college, the FF definitely is significantly less used than I expected. The v12 of FF is what makes me itch for the F12.

Maybe I should just stay put, and not thinking about it for a month, and see if I still have the itch. It's a tailor made 70th anniversary, low miles. Pretty well cared for. Two to choose from. One is 2015 and one is 2017

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  23. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    More Ferrari not less. A bird in hand.

24. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Experience something new. You can always go back and get another 458. I’ve had 3!

25. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    You are bad. Lol.