Formula E is flacid | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Formula E is flacid

Discussion in 'F1' started by johnireland, Jan 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You have never heard of renewable energy then? Hydro energy, tidal energy, Wind power, solar power, heat exchange ?

Who is really wearing a blindfold here ?

2. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I was actually looking forward to Formula E, and then I heard about Fan Boost. Just what racing doesn't need to be is a driver popularity contest where the fans can give their driver an advantage. WTF? That's not racing.

randkin, daytona355 and stavura like this.
  3. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    Hope you've learned your lesson! :)

Watching FE is no better than watching your grass grow.

daytona355 and G. Pepper like this.
  4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

There's something called ''world solar challenge''. It's held in ozzieland (for sun reasons). The track isn't particularly challenging. Not many corners and all that.

Best average speed ever? 102kph. That's 63 mph.

Not desperately interesting.

daytona355 likes this.
  5. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    LOLO, actually watching the grass grow is a bit stressing, because it means i'll have to cut it again!...in FE case it'a more relaxing because you know you'll never watch it again!

daytona355 likes this.
  6. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    hahah, gotta tell Moretti, pretty sure he'll drive SATAN in front of the damn comtraption covering it in dust nad preventing it from gettin any sunlight....it will kill it just like then dinossaurs!

daytona355 and Bas like this.
  7. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    I've directed the grounds crew to only use electric-powered lawn and garden tools, and they must speak in whispered tones while on the premises. I'm so very relaxed these days without all that added Internal Combustion Stress in my life...lol.

FE is something of comic entertainment right now. 45 minutes of racing, 12+ minutes of commercials, and Marrakesh had 10 minutes of yellow. The product needs to be vastly improved and perhaps it will with so many manufacturers jumping in. Or perhaps the comedy of it all turns to horror as this truly becomes the future of racing.

Now here is an EV accomplishment that is at least worthy of some respect.

Lotaz and daytona355 like this.
  8. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Lotaz and daytona355 like this.
  9. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    BTW, I am vegan, so you don't need to convince me of the harm done by cattle herding. But cows dont' pollute in cities ...[/QUOTE]
    What's that? some sort of stake?

10. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Hey, that was my car. And I actually loved it. Used almost as much oil as gas.

G. Pepper and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  11. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Heh, some fine engineering. My buddy had a wagon, actually ran well.

I was cudan, then vetten, quattron, modenan,...

12. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Mom had the cosworth engine back in the day.

G. Pepper and daytona355 like this.
  13. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I had a Monza. Looked kind of like a Daytona and the gigantic fastback hatch was awesome. It could swallow three guitars in cases and two Boogie amps with a lot of space to spare.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

daytona355 likes this.
  14. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Fan Boost

Isn't that when the promoters try and entice new spectators with a free hotdog ?

Somehow we managed to completely swerve the green scalextric in Marrakech this weekend.
    Even the Buddha Bar had more energy and action than FE :)

15. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland

And there is also the tooth fairy and Santa Claus and free lunch.

16. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    12 Countries Leading the Way in Renewable Energy

•Iceland. Iceland generates the most clean electricity per person on earth, with almost 100% of its energy coming from renewable sources that make the most of its unique landscape. ...
    •Sweden. ...
    •Costa Rica. ...
    •Nicaragua. ...
    •United Kingdom. ...
    •Germany. ...
    •Uruguay. ...
    •Denmark.

I also suggest you google

"List of countries by electricity production from renewable sources"

You will be surprised by the number of countries that derive most of their energy from renewable sources.

17. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Shifting the fossil fuel use to a different part of the overall process is not "renewable". The ONLY thing that matters is cost - countries with low cost electricity are minimizing their fossil fuel use (but have unique situations - lots of rain in Costa Rica, Iceland on a plate boundary, etc.). Countries with high cost electricity (like Germany) are just shifting, and increasing the fossil fuel use somewhere else.

PS Let us know how "tidal" and "wave" are working out -- great scams!

johnireland and daytona355 like this.
  18. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    I like racing
    I'll watch lawnmower racing
    Occasionally we watch the gokart track at the beach
    It's a contest and that's good enough

Lotaz likes this.
  19. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    where do you source your completely wrong knowledge?
    The world will go only one way, carbon neutrality. This is no longer the trajectory of particular nations (wealthy or blessed with natural resources). Renewable energy cost have dropped that even in countries that don't really do well at planning it is just the cheapest, most suitable way. Fossil fuel in future is only there to assisst with maximizing renewable energy. This is a global fact. Pull your head out of the sand. There is no global shift from cleant to dirty nations. The global installation of Renewable Energy has many years ago already outgrown the installation of new fossil.

william likes this.
  20. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    All those coal, gas and oil fired stations across the world making electric must be wrong then, the only way to generate nice clean easy energy is nuclear, and the green environmentalists, with the emphasis on the mentalists, won’t let us build enough of those anyway... I have fun swerving these stupid meters, I mean smart meters. Who on earth gives a damn how much electric they use at home.... you use what you need, and pay for it, why do I need a smart meter to try to make me feel guilty that I leave the lights on, generally have three TVs running all day long just so I can walk from one end to the other without feeling lonely, and have the hot tub on 24/7/365?

If they think I’ll suddenly start watching a substandard racing series and decide to buy a crappy Nissan Leaf or similar as a result, they have another thing coming. I’m the sort of chap that switches OFF any fuel saving devices that they are stupid enough to have as standard on my cars, and sits at traffic lights waiting to floor it away every single time, even just to hop between sets of lights. I’m proud my Rangie gets 11 to the gallon regardless of where I’ve been, and the Bentley, no idea how little I get, but I don’t half get to know petrol station attendants

21. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    they are not wrong, they are from a time when that was the way to make money. the guy that wants to make money today is doing his best to not have them in his portfolio. business is not emotion based.

22. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    What's that? some sort of stake?[/QUOTE]

Tragic case of quote gone wrong, for a second there I thought you'd gone vegan Pedro! Phew....

23. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #98 Steve Magnusson, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Can completely agree with that: lowest cost = least fossil fuel use. However, then please explain why gov'ts must force taxpayers and ratepayers to endlessly "invest" in expensive faux-renewables?

Not without some amazing unforeseen invention(s). Shifting, and increasing, the fossil fuel use to make, install, and maintain inefficient and costly faux-renewables increases carbon emissions. The falsehood of the faux-green religion is that forcing widespread use of something inefficient and costly will magically become less costly.

On the original Formula E topic: I find it a bit too contrived and "spec-y" (and lament that all future supercars will need to be hugely complex hybrids).

Nortonious likes this.
  24. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    I watched a few Formula E races last season and have watched both this season. For now the product remains inferior to many other racing series, which is probably why we spend more time talking about renewable energy, cow flatulence, vegans and vegas than we do talking about actual Formula E racing.

"OMG, did you see Lucas di Grassi's artful use of FanBoost for the pass and win"...said no one, ever.

Maybe the car performance and racing quality will increase to justify more viewership and race fan attendance. Or maybe the masses will be gradually desensitized to a lesser product as manufacturers pull the plug on more expensive racing series.

If a Formula E Gen2 car could go 305 km and set an occasional track record I'd be far more interested, or at least impressed. The technology may eventually support this performance, but it doesn't mean we'll get to see it. Meanwhile I'll drink up what offerings Formula 1 has left, turbo-hybrid and all.

daytona355, G. Pepper and Bas like this.
  25. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Tragic case of quote gone wrong, for a second there I thought you'd gone vegan Pedro! Phew....[/QUOTE]

No worries Bas, i'm a strong believer that we are meant to eat meat...that's why we have canines, and nature isn't known for making mistakes.....i must confess i'm a bit suspicious when it comes to fish..i don't trust something that breathe under water!...but lobsters are nice :)

stavura, Automoblog and Bas like this.