When will the price threads ever stop? | FerrariChat

When will the price threads ever stop?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Bradwilliams, Jan 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

The whole topic is so tired. You had a mania back in early 2014 that deflated BIGLY in late 2015 early 2016 and cars returned to a more reasonable level 30-35 percent from the peak (with the exception of air cooled porsches (60k made and not rare) and extremely rare cars). I hope that all these cars fall through the floor in the next 5 years and more speculators get hurt, nothing would be better for these forums. Some people actually enjoy and like these cars for reasons other than their "selling price." I don't think there is any other way for these threads to stop other than the prices plummeting even harder. So be it, tank prices tank! A world of cheaper parts and little to no price threads, sounds good to me!

2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Amen;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. todd6363

todd6363 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Todd
  4. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    come on now. Buyers need to know the market. Sellers need to know the market. Salesman need to know the market. Owners need to know the market for insurance reasons, maintenance reasons, etc...

TR price threads are very important.

lucky6600, xplodee and tifoso2728 like this.
  5. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    The number one thing people talk about is other people. This is very, very closely followed by people talking about money. So quite frankly, I don't know what the OP is complaining about. "What's this worth and what's that worth" conversations aren't going away. Speculators will always be there, like them or not. Deal with it.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    what ferraris have you bought with the pull back?

E_Man likes this.
  7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Short answer.....No

Its a Ferrari, discussing price is a normal activity for all the models.

8. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Pre 2014, there were literally zero threads with this topic. It only came up when there was a new buyer shaking the trees to ask what a fair price was to buy a car. Just sayin'

9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Site wide and Ferrari circles wide it is a very common topic of discussion. It may not have threads titled and devoted to it but it is never the less one of the most common topics.

10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    There were tons in 03 to 07 and then 08 to present

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    From your mouth to god’s ears on your entire stock portfolio :)

Tank baby tank

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  12. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

The prices tanked in late 2015-2016 without any finanicial panic. This was already noted years ago. I'm sure there is some correlation there but not necessarily cause and effect. Just look at SF real estate after the dot com explosion, RE there went up immediately afterward. Nice try.

13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The answer is simple. Not all of us are jillionaires, some of us are just crazy. While it is a given we are crazy, this doesn’t mean we are stupid. For example, I’d love to have a TR, but only because it is outrageous. There are a lot better sport cars out there. But to cruise down the road with a blues man at the wheel and a beautician in the back? Priceless, but only if I can sell the car and get my money back.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

DaveB likes this.
  14. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    There’s definetly a disconnect from some buyers and sellers in terms of pricing. Some people want to strictly follow what the last string of cars sold for as the only basis for the current market. So, some buyers and sellers are having a difficult time coming together to make a completed transaction (sale). Another question we all must ask ourselves when buying a car such as this is what is it worth to me? Some will answer that question with what ever the last comparable sold for. However, since there are a limited number of these cars available one must ask the other question what is the car worth to me? These can be two different answers. For me a really nice low mileage 512tr can be worth 200 plus if need be. Let’s say a 1993 Ferrari 512tr with 8,000 miles is for sale in perfect condition comes up for sale. There would be a set of buyers at every price point. Some although few would be available for 200k. More would be available at 180k plus range. Even more would be available in the 170 plus range. The savy seller knows this and just waits patiently. The buyer willing to pay 170-180k gets frustrated and annoyed. It then becomes how bad do u want the car and how long do you want to wait for one to hit your sweet spot. I realize most cars are a waste of money (you’ll lose money when buying). I’d much rather lose or pay on the high end on one of these cars then let’s say a new car. We all have to make that choice. Life is to short in some cases to wait for things you really want. Just pay up and get what u want. For me it will just be less I’ll leave to my heirs and I don’t care how much I have left when I die. So the extra 50-75k I need to pay doesn’t mean that much in the big sceam of things. I don’t reuse coffee grounds if u know what I mean. I almost bought a new zo6 two years ago out of boredom and I would have immediately lost 50k on that move alone. But this is car ownership for most people. Once again this is not an investment it is a luxury item only. No different than an overpriced Brionne shirt. Just on a larger scale. When do you want it and how much do you want to spend. We can’t control the sellers, many are willing to wait for their price. Just something to think about.

lucky6600, sherrillt, Shamile and 4 others like this.
  15. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    This wasn't a useless thread after all, great post and hit the bullseye. Im not a person to sit and wait and wait and wait, whats it worth to me is how I operate. Hey that rhymes. I could be dead in a week, or in 15 mins.

xplodee and Zeff like this.
  16. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    When “what’s the best......” threads cease, maybe?

Texas Forever likes this.
  17. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #17 Zeff, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Very true. As I get older people around me are dying all the time it seams. I figured I have about 20-25 years left which isn’t long. Just enjoy your hobbies isn’t that what is about. I love the fact you restore Ferrari’s. I’m sure u really love that and driving them of course. I say enjoy the money Newman! You won’t be enjoying it when your dead. Maybe someone else will. For some This is a battle you’ll rage forever or one you can control and win! The choice has always been yours. Enjoy life in good health.

18. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Um, the answer is never. The price threads will never stop unless the site bans them.

I think they have their place.

I don't mind discussing the current prices.

What I hate reading about is "Depreciation" curves, and whether a model is at the bottom of its depreciation curve. What happened to buying a car because you liked it and could afford it, not because what you might or might not be able to sell it for in the future?

Talking about depreciation curves illustrates the commodification of the wonderful hobby of collecting cars, whatever your area of interest is.

E_Man, Natkingcolebasket69 and Zeff like this.
  19. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir

When will they stop? Who knows. And yet, here you are starting another one!

ttforcefed likes this.
  20. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Topic of discussion is will they ever stop, not analysis or pricing reports, etc.

21. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Or as most have done with the questions in those threads .... trying to create a market. ;)

22. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir
    #22 Rostami6, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    I understand and see what the topic is. But you know this will once again turn into price discussion. Oh wait, it already did. Look at your OWN post (post number 12 here).

23. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Yep. It's quite amusing to watch.

blkdiablo33 and Jakuzzi like this.
  24. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Obviously no one person can control the market. I wish all these cars were 50k or less. Just because you wish it so doesn’t make it so. And yes I’ll take the loss on my car to get us there. Lol

25. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    nat is the star

Natkingcolebasket69 and sixcarbs like this.