Monza SP1 & SP2 | Page 32 | FerrariChat

Monza SP1 & SP2

Discussion in 'Icona Series (SP1, SP2, & SP3)' started by ajr550, Sep 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    IMHO, you’d need to wear a proper FIA-rated 8860 full-face racing helmet to feel truly protected. I upgraded to an 8860 helmet for open-cockpit Radical racing after seeing track debris puncture a full-thickness hole in the air intake that sits just above my head. It has the reinforced Zylan visor band as shown below.

Real eye-opener. No way I’d drive a Monza SP at speed on street or track with one of those retro skullcap helmets and goggles.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I have one of these helmets (for Ferrari challenge) and I’m pretty sure if a wheel hits your head at 75 mph you’re toast!! I think this was driving force behind putting the flip flop (halo) head protector on the F1 cars.

3. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Will Monza be road legal in UK?

NeilF8888 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  4. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

Yes, to the best of my knowledge, and consequently the EU as well. I do know of a couple of US buyers who plan to keep their cars in Italy and use it for the Cavalcade etc.

elmadi, roma1280 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  5. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

Looks good. I had one very close shave in an Ariel Atom which could have semi-permanently rearranged my features, after which I avoid mixing high speeds and fully open set-ups.

roma1280, Caeruleus11 and Bundy like this.
  6. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Definitely agree about the risks of open-cockpit racing, especially if a wheel comes bouncing along or another car tries to climb over you. I purposefully chose a closed-wheel format (instead of a formula car) to mitigate some risk.

roma1280, Red Sled and Caeruleus11 like this.
  7. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    After sitting in the SP1 I can tell you you that you sit quite low in the chassis and don’t feel very exposed. I feel it is much safer than riding a motorcycle in respect to road debris and by wearing a helmet you are probably safer than driving a spider with no helmet. I’m sure the carbon helmet supplied by Ferrari will have an adequate visor to protect you from most debris. Driving this car can’t be compared with open wheel racing in regard to the risk.

elmadi, TSOYBELIS, roma1280 and 2 others like this.
  8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Interesting that by comparison the upcoming EU regulations are so overly strict about noise and atmospheric emissions (very long term risk) yet lax on safety (very short term risk). I think the FChat customers here are more learned than your average buyer looking to maintain favor and make a buck. I'm impressed.

roma1280 likes this.
  9. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    #784 Bundy, Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Neil,

I have not sat in the SP1, although I saw one in person at the new TM showroom two months ago. I hear what you’re saying, but it still seems like a fair amount of exposure. I sit pretty low in the Radical, too.

Anir

Image Unavailable, Please Login

elmadi, roma1280 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  10. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Will not drive open car ever. It is the timing of impact that will hurt.
    Chasing downward max behind 911’s huge ass, braking hard toward corner, turn in to apex and then suddenly a rock flying out from the 911’s tire hitting me on the head.

That very short moment rear was on slip angle and my reaction was calm except my hand flinched and made rather quick steering input with hugh front tire of mighty grip.

I might save the moment but I might not because it was a high speed corner of 170km/h.

Car is done so as my ego.

A verry sad day in life.

I was asked if some backed out would you get one and I said no. Not Ferrari’s top list so it was easy but if I were on the list then I will be afraid to turn the offer down for next Icona.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Red Sled, Caeruleus11 and roma1280 like this.
  11. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    NürScud, JagShergill and Bundy like this.
  12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Its not Grigio Titanio. I am struggling to remember but I think it is Pure Metal Silver? (The same as Grigio Coburn?) The color is gorgeous in person. It's kind of like the best parts of AN and GT rolled together.

Let's face it, its a very special car, to be used on very special occasions. I look at it more as rolling sculpture than as a supercar- though it has supercar performance. I'm sure they will have some events on closed courses and that can help mitigate risks.

Forza Ferrari!

of2worlds, F140C, Red Sled and 2 others like this.
  13. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Do you have o modify a US car to keep it in Europe? Or can you just register it?

14. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

If you mean the Monza specifically, then I am not sure if there is a US version of the car as it is not homologated for the road there. May be Neil can chime in here.

In general I have had no issues registering US cars in an unmodified form (except sometimes for headlight adjustment) in either UK or Italy which are the two jurisdictions I am familiar with. The cars need to be able to pass an initial assessment of road worthiness and then a periodic validation (annual in the UK, biennially in Italy). Not an expert by any means on this.

15. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    Really not sure if the Monza will be able to be driven in the US, hopefully it is ok in Canada and I will register at my home there. There has also been some talk about a less than 500 unit production model being able to be registered as a display vehicle if driven under 2500 miles a year. I just love the looks of the Monza and will figure it out, it’s too beautiful of a Ferrari to pass up and one of the last naV12’s that is not a hybrid.

16. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
  17. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
  18. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Nice but horrible wheel color.

Marcel Massini

19. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Agreed, I noticed it too, but thanks to the angle , it doesn't spoil the picture too much

elmadi likes this.
  20. bobhitch

bobhitch Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Bob
    disagree- I think the wheels compliment the interior nicely

NeilF8888 and chrisf355spider like this.
  21. Griffon83

Griffon83 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2016
    Greece
    Full Name:
    Nassos
    Can't tell if it's real or fake, here are 2 listings of configurable Icona SP1 and SP2 models listed for more than 3 million Euros.

Monza SP1
    Monza SP2

22. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Hahaha, what a b.s.
    September 2019 delivery………
    Production begins December 2019.

Marcel Massini

23. Griffon83

Griffon83 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2016
    Greece
    Full Name:
    Nassos
    That's what I thought too, thanks Marcel!:)

NürScud likes this.
  24. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    Do we know the colours for the exterior and interior? Can’t tell from this picture...

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat