Life is good for youtubers | FerrariChat

Life is good for youtubers

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Natkingcolebasket69, Jan 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Not too sure where to post this but hoovies garage got himself a nice house. Of course he comes from
    Relative money, of course he also used his credit union to finance his car but still... when you get 7k roughly per million views you got a good life.
    Demuro makes more and his videos are IMO not that amazing.
    Other YouTubers like Shmee, salomondrin and vehicle virgins have more amazing cars but that’s because they have other source of income.
    Anyways, I rambled;)
    Just thought I’d share;))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulchua likes this.
  2. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    There’s a video out there on what car you tubers make. Demuro is at 300k a month or so...

Not a bad gig if you can get it...

I'm 360 Canuck and paulchua like this.
  3. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    You have about the same chance of becoming a rich youtuber as you do getting a record deal and becoming a famous musician. Millions have the talent and desire, they can all make a record or a video, only a relative few can sell them...

4. Natkingcolebasket69

Yes demuro makes bank but vehicle virgins ; shmee; salomondrin I can tell you for a fact they make way way less (still good though) and have much fancier cars so I know they have other streams of income. They likely lease too.
    300k for Demuro seems a bit high but who knows. He has a style that is liked and consistent uploads; he has improved his videos over 5 years but not too much and it still works. Good for him though.

I'm 360 Canuck and paulchua like this.
  5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I've always like Doug, I never understood the hate. Yes, he has that 'nerdy goofiness' about him, but I think it's his honest self.

I know he gets a lot of flack for his sometimes anti Ferrari comments, but they are always in the context of cost. For the majority of people used to Toyotas, a 30k major can be a bank buster.

For others no big deal.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  6. Natkingcolebasket69

I get the hate: his videos are poor quite often and people have this idea that you got to work hard to make money and his look easy+ he looks like an average Joe so people are like why him?
    I got admit I am puzzled too. I started to do for fun videos and to do something of quality it takes time. Demuro is a machine , his edits are. Super simple compared to everyone else but it works;)
    The social blade numbers seem very accurate

paulchua likes this.
  7. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I can't post my channel because I don't want to get in trouble for not being a sponsor. That being said, it's not just YouTube Ad's we make money on. We make deals behind the scenes, merchandise, photography for clients, Patreon, events, etc. I'm a Firefighter and make double, sometimes triple the income my ARNP wife brings home. In fact, everything in my signature line was paid for by my side business as a YouTuber.

I try to push and help as many people as I can to get into the "YouTube thing" as I have seen and continue to see how it can change your life. The issue is each person I've coached on it, just gives up and never puts in the effort. It takes a ton of work to get a brand off the ground and most are simply fine making ends meet and dreaming. Most of the owners on this forum are fighters, hustlers that know how to work their ass off. Most of us didn't come from money and I think it makes us appreciate the car more. I wouldn't change anything.

daytona355, nickmb, paulchua and 2 others like this.
  8. Natkingcolebasket69

That’s true they make side deals too.
    In the case of salomondrin, shmee, VV it would seem that’s where their true wealth is from.

I don’t think the YouTube thing has reached its peak- it makes sense to get paid since people don’t watch TV as much, ads bring money. That being said it may have its limits at some points

paulchua likes this.
  9. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    #10 BOKE, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    I am a huge YouTube junkie for years. One of the things that I have learned is that production quality is second to the content provided by the creators.
    Bad audio quality is the worst mistake a creator can make. I have a channel I follow in Finland that had great content, but bad audio so I sent them a Sennheiser wireless microphone set-up.
    I have followed Casey Neistat since he did the HBO show with his brother Van in 2010. Casey is a machine that cranked out daily vlogs for years. He has slowed down a little bit since he sold BEME to CNN life is pretty good now for the Neistat family. Constant new content is key to getting 10MM subscribers. Look at Casey's analytics compared to the three car guys I put up earlier. https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/caseyneistat

Watch Casey have fun in a Tesla Model 3 Performance from yesterday.

And here is today's vlog that just rang my notification bell.

One of the other funny things about YouTube creators is once they have a steady income stream they get spiffed gear. Casey gets so much free gear he passes stuff around to other creators. Merchandise is another income source for most popular YouTubers as well.

Here is a crazy example of a celebrity starting a channel and getting ridiculous numbers for doing nothing.
    https://socialblade.com/youtube/channel/UCuriCa9loP_OsH75_5j8M5w
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuriCa9loP_OsH75_5j8M5w/featured

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  10. Natkingcolebasket69

Casey is awesome- for me he deserves it. Doug I’m still puzzled. He clearly is milking these days and I don’t sense his excitement to be genuine.
    He opened a new account which was supposed to be more of his old stuff, it has been slow to
    Take off so what does he do? He puts car review on there to raise the number of subscribers.
    I say good for him but he just makes videos after videos (consistency is key) with a great style but often poor audio, doesn’t use any fancy stuff... I guess it omnly works for him. When I see davide cironi’s vidéo I’m like why isn’t her more successful than Doug? He has passion, love but only speaks Italian...

11. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I use a Sennheiser wireless microphone set-up for when I'm talking to my audience and a powered Rode Stereo MIC to capture the gunshots, this way I get a more clear representation of tone. It's funny you mention YouTubers don't care about sound quality when it's all I care about lol. But you're right, most try and record an exhaust video with a GoPro! HAHA

BOKE and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I actually like the lo-fi production, I think it's because I value an honest review more then anything. I've always felt he was sincere.

Cheers

13. Natkingcolebasket69

I understand: he is relatable and therefore that’s how he gets views, some guys are show offs and that’s another audience. If I had to chose I like that better, I just wish he put more effort into it as far as editing;)

paulchua likes this.
  14. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    I don't subscribe to Demuro's channel but I caught this video earlier. A 458 Speciale Aperta is considerably more interesting than Demuro presented it IMHO.
    If he improved his overall production quality, added music and a slick opening he is still meh. The only stuff he did in the past that interested me was when he presented weird, cheap cars.

15. Natkingcolebasket69

Agreed- I don’t watch anymore;)

16. Natkingcolebasket69

As an example & I am no YouTuber. I did this little video of my friend’s 458. I put like 1/2hours in it and I I think it’s better quality wise than why Doug does...now my content is another story but still;)

BOKE likes this.
  17. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I think ppl just have to accept demuros vids for what they are.

Collectors and some dealerships lend him some special cars to drive on the street.
    He’s not The Stig, able to pound on those cars on a track and give a thorough review.

It’s basically just like if your smartass buddy got to go on a test drive with the salesperson and recorded it. It’s to give the average schmo a brief peak at cars they will likely never own, but from the perspective of if they actually were shopping for one.
    It is what it is.

18. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    A good friend of mine is a full time YouTuber that clears well into the 7 figures a year. He says 70% of it comes from merchandise sale. Apparently only 5% comes from YouTube

19. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
  20. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    What’s the subject matter of his content. ??

21. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    YouTube will continue to lower ad revenue payments either by making thresholds harder to reach or simply cutting rates. They made it good early on to get people to create and grow YT, but like most things they will cut that back once people have relied on their service too much for their businesses. Hope those creators were smart enough to diversify their income stream...

There are a few I follow, but not subscribed...they're still not consistent or high quality enough for me, but you get what you pay for...

I like a few Doug videos, but they are too long winded and look too amateur to regularly follow. They remind me of that Saab Kyle guy that seems to have plateaued on YT and passed by Shmee in subscribers a little while back. Shmee (Tim) is a pretty nice guy. He was incredibly quick and nice in assisting me contacting a car owner he filmed with to answer a few questions about a car shown.

22. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I honestly can’t figure that one out. Maybe the best description is “Lifestyle” vlog or something like that

crinoid likes this.
  23. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    I like Doug's stuff, maybe it just resonates with my way of thinking and being curious about quirks and features. And he doesn't do that annoying "Selfie" filming like Shmee and co. I don't understand those, their face blocks half of everything you see, and I'm not there to see their face 99% of the time... Harry does some stuff quite well tho', you can hear the excitement in his voice when he goes through the history or experiences he's had/is having with a vehicle.