Last 727 Passenger Flight | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Last 727 Passenger Flight

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by tazandjan, Jan 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Wasn't that a union requirement... that contractually there be a flight engineer even though they were 'obsolete'? Like firemen on diesel locomotives...

Island Time likes this.
  2. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Brought back a memory of landing in Chicago in the '70s... Playboy's "Big Bunny" was parked there and was For Sale. It was a DC-9, though...

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Pretty much, yes.

Island Time likes this.
  4. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    A300, at least the early versions, had an FE station.

5. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    My dad was in one of the first classes at Eastern to go through A300 school in Toulouse. We got to go out there and see the factory while he was there. I remember seeing a simulator and the visuals were a camera that floated above a giant terrain model.

Ak Jim likes this.
  6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    In that case the supposed requirement to retain a "fireman" was in case the engineer became incapacitated for any reason. Today that is taken care of by a button that has an alarm that goes off every 30 seconds or so. The engineer has to press the button within, I believe, 10 seconds, or else the train will be stopped automatically.

7. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Wonder what good an FE would be without his own panel? .. just an added safety resource in the cockpit?

8. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Basically, yes. He had duties-- I believe read the checklists, handled company communications, did the preflight, maybe a few other things, but really wasn't that important.

I have a friend who started at United in that role (and retired as a 747 captain).

9. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    Brings back memories of flying on Eastern A300's ATL-SFO, non-rev when I was a teenager (my mother worked in the Eastern reservations center in Charlotte). Must have been 1980-1982 or so.

I remember always trying to schedule the L1011 instead of the A300 - and how different the engines sounded.

10. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    That was state of the art back then. Recall seeing one at WPAFB in 1980 being used for low level flight training.

11. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have 3000 hours in 727s ...and 2000 were in the climb! :p

jcurry likes this.
  12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    We used one of those terrain boards and camera for factory training on the GBU-15 back when the seeker used TV instead of IR. Pretty realistic but cost a fortune to build.

13. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    It sounds like that could become quite annoying after a while. I always thought engineers had a Deadman pedal. Guess pressing a button every half minute is a more reliable way to know they're awake.

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I think this eliminates the need to be pushing the throttle all the time, which can be tiring on a long nonstop run. The train can effectively be on "autopilot", but they want to make sure the engineer is still awake and alert. Many electric railways (like subways) often have a device that can stop a train if it runs a red signal, but I think that's impractical on diesel trains.

15. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Isn't that "Positive Train Control" which is becoming a requirement in the US?

16. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    I didn't think it was a throttle but a pedal with little resistance and throttle was done by a hand operated control. Sorry, didnt mean to sound pedantic. Kinda punch drunk with lack of sleep. 2 month olds will do that

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    It's the same principle, but I don't know exactly how PTC is going to work on road locomotives. It may be more of a communication system which will warn an engineer rather than actually taking control of the train, sort of the way ATC works in the sky.

18. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    It has certainly been sold to the general public as actually taking control. Especially after the Amtrak accident in Washington a few years ago.

19. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I remember when I was teaching a course in 727 familiarization before it was built that the rate of climb initially was 3600 FPM. This generated ooh's and ah's from the audience. At that time it had startling performance and it is still one of my favorite airplanes.

FarmerDave likes this.
  20. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    I think the unions had some say in making that happen. 2 seat cockpits and all. ;)

The 72 was a great airplane. One of the few airliners built that’s ever been a true “pilot’s airplane”.

The first thing I noticed about that airplane, during my first engine start-up was....”wow man, I wasn’t thinking about not being able to hear the engines spool up.” You had to watch the gauges to know they’d lit up. I’ll never forget how cool I thought that was.

FarmerDave likes this.