Need Help_RH misfiring after engine out | FerrariChat

Need Help_RH misfiring after engine out

Discussion in '348/355' started by Pengster355, Jan 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pengster355

Pengster355 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2006
    Singapore
    Hi guys,

Been trying to search but only found old threads. I just did belt change (engine out, of course) and car ran well before it went in.

Once engine went back in, car ran fine when cold but start to have misfiring after 5-10 minutes. Quickly, I put the car back into the workshop. No CEL or any other lights. My Mechanic checked all cables and connectors and he couldn’t figure out what caused it so decided to drop engine again to check the timing of which found out to be correct.

So now engine is still out and we are still trying to find what’s wrong here

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated, thanks

Peng
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Has your mechanic worked on 355 before?
    Is this a 96-99 OBD2 car or 95 OBD1 car
    A little more diagnostic BEFORE you took the engine back out would have been a lot more useful, seriously. Right now, all you can do is guess.

What is the misfiring? the whole bank shutting down, or one / two cylinders misfired?
    How did you / he check the cam timing? With a degree wheel, or eyeballing it?
    Did you use Hill Engineering tensioner bearings? Did you make enough clearance for those?
    If OBD2, did you plug the TCU bank 1 back into the right position?

Pangea likes this.
  3. fboutlaw

fboutlaw Karting

Dec 3, 2014
    Woodside, CA
    Agree with yelcab. It's going to be impossible to diagnose with the engine out.

While it is out, I would re-check all connectors, make sure they're cleaned, and that none of the blades or receptacles are bent or loose. When the engine is in, pull codes from the ECU. On OBD2, it's an OBD scanner, on OBD1, you hold the giant pin by each ecu between 3-5 seconds, release, then count the flashes on the dash.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Diagnose then disassemble.

5. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Might be the Gas Cap. Try a new one.

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Looks like a 95. Only 1 O2 sensor in the test pipes. :eek:But note how much carbon in the test pipes and muffler tips (both banks)? Fuel delivery/ignition comes to mind. Good luck figuring that out with the engine out. :rolleyes:

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    It is possible to get engine sensor plugs swapped. However, swapped sensors would probably throw a code. Motronics ECU to sensor wiring has to be buzzed out to confirm correct fitment.

When I couldn't get my car to run after an engine harness replacement, when doing wiring checks, we found that some of the chassis/engine earths had relatively high resistances. I would check your earths. Sometimes high temperatures in the engine compartment can affect resistance: At another time, I had a loose earth above the left hand radiator and every time the car heated up, the turn indicators on the left side of the car started playing up. This was a common earth for half a dozen different components, but it only seemed to affect the turn indications.

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    If I am correct that the car is a 2.7 (95) then it's possible that the problem is with a bad connection to the 1-4 bank crank sensor. I had a misfire in my car that was intermittent and only happened at 4k RPM and above. Turned out to be a wire from the 1-4 crank sensor that was broken internally at the engine connector crimp. An SOB to find but finally found it by tugging on the individual wires at the connector. When one wire stretched problem solved.

Still, there seems to be an awful lot of carbon buildup in the exhaust, even considering that the cats are gone.

9. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    Gas cap?

Pangea likes this.
  10. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    He was just throwin* out guesses s8nce that seemed to be what others were doing

11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Figure out which cylinder is misfiring. Inspect the plug and wire. You may just want to pull all the plugs and wires and inspect them. Test the wires as well. The wires run inside the valve covers, and take a beating with all that heat. Failures are not uncommon. It might even be worth throwing a new set at the car, if yours are original. Kingsborne are reasonably priced...or were the last time I bought a set.

Pengster355 likes this.
  12. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I know kings bornes name is thrown around a lot but I think ricambi sells sets and they are not much more

f355spider likes this.
  13. Pengster355

Pengster355 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2006
    Singapore
  14. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Which fuse?

Pangea likes this.
  15. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Appears to be the LH radiator fuse. Wouldn't think it would be the problem unless the melting is causing problems with the circuit board and effecting the fuel pump connection.

Pengster355 likes this.
  16. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Looks like fuse pump. Might be time to look up Dave Helms fuse panel modification with all that melted plastic.

Pengster355 likes this.
  17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    The fuse is green = 30 amp = radiator fan fuse. But, yes, like I said, melting could effect fuel pump connections.

Pengster355 likes this.
  18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I'd be curious to know why the problem started after the engine out.

19. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    If that is the case, I would recommend the OP search for my post about 355 radiator fans. He will need to replace his fans, as they are obviously old and now drawing excessive current. My thread has information on oem SPAL replacements (at lower cost than from Ferrari), or the option of using a lower amperage SPAL fan that works very well and will prevent further damage. But as you surmise, it may be too late for that fuse panel.

20. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  21. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Thanks, this is the original thread I started, and was quoted from in your post above:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/new-updated-f355-radiator-fan-information.300662/

Qavion likes this.
  22. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    There may be a fan problem, but it appears the fuse is not being blown so the fan would not appear to be drawing excessive current. The melting is more likely the result of corroded or dirty contacts at the fuse causing excessive resistance, therefore heating. This is a common problem with the old euro style fuses in 308s.

Anyway, need to examine the fuse panel to see if it effected fuel pump connections. Since the engine runs fine cold, I question that this is the problem with the warm engine miss.

jjtjr likes this.
  23. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #23 f355spider, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Actually John, it is from the current draw. While the fuse may not be blown, it is running right near the max, and the fuse panel simply cannot handle that load. It is a well known (and common) problem with the 355 and why Dave Helms came with a modification to the factory 355 fuse panels. It is very common for the radiator fan circuits, and the fuel pump circuit. I believe Dave's modification moves both circuits to a separate panel that can better handle the load. (btw, are you certain that is not the fuel pump fuse? I ask because I thought the left and right hand radiator fan fuses were adjacent to each other. But I haven't had my 355 in several years, and my memory is not clear;) )

If you read the thread I started (and mentioned above), it was found the oem SPAL radiator fans are rated (new out of the box) as drawing 27.5 amps, on a 30 amp circuit. The start up current is obviously much more, though only for a very short period. But as the fans wear, the start up and running current simply gets higher and higher causing all of the melting, and blown fuses. More details on why the fans do this, and options to prevent it are in the thread...

Qavion likes this.
  24. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Well, then I won't speculate about the cause other than to say any heat generated comes from I^2 R, so if the fuse isn't blowing the max current should be below the design spec and that leaves excessive resistance locally around the fuse/board interface since that's where the melting is.

Either way, we are off topic and as the OP hasn't chimed back in we can't know for sure if this is relevant to the original problem.

But yes, the fuse pulled and the melted area are the LH fan. The other fan fuse is above to the right in the picture. The only 30 amp fuses in the boards are for the fans.