Anyone ever removed the airbox damper from a US 308? | FerrariChat

Anyone ever removed the airbox damper from a US 308?

Discussion in '308/328' started by dflett, Jan 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    I think I see a locating pin and a sleeve with an axle through it but I have not even found a parts diagram for this stuff...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Thanks in advance
    David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hard to tell from your picture, but do you mean this stuff? I pulled all of this out of my '76....I understand the later cars had even more. Euro cars had nothing. It's held in with metal "mesh" that is spot-welded in place, so you need to grind the welds and remove that, then remove all of the sound deadening material. Wear a respirator because there's a decent chance that's asbestos...

3. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Hi Chris

No I don’t mean the the sound deadening. The 78s and 79s have a damper that rotates inside the neck of airbox on an axle that goes through from one side of the neck to the other. Mine damper is loose so I’d like to either remove it or fix it.

Just wondering if anybody has a parts diagram or knows how it comes out.

4. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Just to make it clearer what I mean here is a photo from bringatrailer of another 78 with the axle bearing of the damper highlighted:

When the cars turns off the damper swings up to block fumes from the carburetors and when the car starts it swings down again. It was part of the emissions package for those years.

vaccarella likes this.
  5. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    There was a thread years back where someone removed it all but I think he ended up basically buying another airbox and cutting it all apart to do it.

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    That flap+shaft+bearings are not shown in the 161/78 SPC for '78-'79 US 308 B/S as the lower air cleaner box is an unserviceable assembly (in fact, the picture of it on TAV 13 is pretty good, but they just used the older airbox in TAV 14 illustration) - you can download a copy of 161/78 from Carl Rose's website http://ferrari.cdyn.com

I can't recall if the silver bearing end caps are riveted on, or have removeable fasteners, but the bottom line is you'd need to get those off to have any hope of getting it apart. (I think I can recall I cleaned and relubricated those bearings when I restored its operation on my ex-308, but can't recall the details ;)).

7. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    #7 dflett, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Thank you Steve for your answer and the link. The cover is bolted on. My bearing is rusted beyond saving. I’m pretty sure the flap is inserted and then shaft inserted and connects to the flap with a friction fit. I can see a locating pin for that purpose. I was hoping for a part number for the bearing and seal but looks like I am out of luck.
    Regards David

8. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Here are some photos from my spare parts bin.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

The shaft slides into a formed tube which is part of the amor box metal. the shaft has a pin through it which locks into two grooves in the formed tube. There may be rust between the shaft and formed tube and it may not scone out. There are rubber base plates under the metal bearing holders on each end. On one end of the shaft there is a threaded end which goes through the white, circular nylon holder. There is also a metal lever which will attach to the vacuum unit with a short rod which connects to the vacuum unit (no pictures of rod or vacuum unit). The other end of the shaft has a double caged ball bearing. The shaft forms the inner race (see double grooves) and the outer race is separate and pictured above. A double bearing gage holds the balls in place. The approximate size of the balls is about 3mm. I think there were 16 balls. The metal flap has a piece of rubber approximately 5mm thick which makes the seal.

My flap assembly could be rebuilt, however, I was missing the circular reservoir and fan (small cylinder). I kept my charcoal canister. On a carb car, I do feel that if you can keep the charcoal canister (there is a very good post of how to rebuild the canister) and have the vacuum operated flap function, it would minimize the gas smell after the car is shut off.

vaccarella likes this.
  9. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Great thank you for taking the time to photograph the parts and to write up the description of how it goes together. Yours is I. Much better condition than mine. My rubber seal under the bearing cap had melted and came if pieces.

Indeed my shaft is rusted on the flap. I don’t fancy my chances of separating them. I sprayed in some PB blaster two days ago so maybe there is a chance. If I get it out I will restore it. If not then it will be fixed in the open position.

Only 8 balls dropped out when I took the cap off and the cage was reduced to rusty dust. Water must have been sitting in there for a while.

10. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Try PB Blaster for a while.
    Because it is flat, you can probably submerge it in a container with rust remover (I use Evaporust). Let it soak for several days.
    Then heat. You may have to remove the rubber. Put a couple of nuts on the end, put the flap in a vise, apply heat and try to gently tap out the shaft. Hopefully, you will get lucky.

11. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Are you saying it’s possible to remove the flap and shaft from the airbox? I would not be able to put the flap in a vise unless it was outside the airbox. I don’t see how that is possible.

12. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Physically Disable the flap from shutting.
    I used stainless wire to prevent my flap from shutting and plugged the vacuum lines to the solenoid. If the vacuum solenoid which activates the flap ever fails and allows vacuum to the flap operator while at highway speeds it will suck the charcoal out of the canister and into your carbs.
    I have the original dealer service invoice of this happening to my 308 at 7500 miles. First thing I did when I saw the invoice.
    Not worth the risk and I drive it weekly to Cars and Coffee, when not raining.

Attached Files:

vaccarella likes this.
  13. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I believe you are correct. It’s not possible.

Now that I think about it (it was quite a few years ago) I think I had to remove the shaft from the flap to remove it. Obviously, the shaft is longer than the flap and goes through each end of the air box. Not sure if the shaft has to be all the way out (maybe one side out then maneuver it out?). Either way one still has to get that shaft to move.

Sorry for the confusion. Time and old age are creeping up on me.