IDing my father’s Ferrari | FerrariChat

IDing my father’s Ferrari

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by JE_Auerbach, Jan 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JE_Auerbach

JE_Auerbach Rookie

Feb 17, 2015
    Los Angeles and NYC
    Full Name:
    Jake Auerbach
    My dad (no longer around) always used to tell me about the 212 Vingale Spyder he bought when he was 23 years old. I’ve been looking for a photo of the car for years and finally stumbled upon one. I’m thrilled of course just to have the photo, but would really like to identify the chassis. The more I look at it the more it looks like a 340 perhaps 0140A... any help would be greatly appreciated.

This photo was taken Feb 65 presumably near Ft. Bliss in El Paso, TX where he was stationed.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4re308, nickmb, mcimino and 3 others like this.
  2. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    It is 0140/A. What was your father's name?

lgs and mcimino like this.
  3. JE_Auerbach

JE_Auerbach Rookie

Feb 17, 2015
    Los Angeles and NYC
    Full Name:
    Jake Auerbach
    1st Lt. Jon L Auerbach

4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Did he buy it in 1964 from Bill Webber in St. Louis/MO?
    And sell in May 1967 to Dave Tunick in CT/USA?

Marcel Massini

mcimino likes this.
  5. Kitbash

Kitbash Karting

Dec 13, 2012
    LOL Marcel's like the NSA of the Ferrari world....

LamboLover, mcimino and gt1995 like this.
  6. JE_Auerbach

JE_Auerbach Rookie

Feb 17, 2015
    Los Angeles and NYC
    Full Name:
    Jake Auerbach
    Marcel the dates make sense but I do not know for sure. He graduated college in CT in 1964 and joined the army that same year. He had a Mustang which he said he crashed the first day on base and that’s when he bought the Ferrari. As I recall he either traded the Ferrari for a 300SL or Speedster, or he sold the Ferrari and bought one of those two with the proceeds.

7. JE_Auerbach

JE_Auerbach Rookie

Feb 17, 2015
    Los Angeles and NYC
    Full Name:
    Jake Auerbach
    From a quick google search there is a Willard “Bill” Weber Jr from St. Louis that passed away recently. It notes he served in the airforce during Vietnam. If it’s the same Bill Weber it seems possible he would have brought the Ferrari to AFB or sold before going into theater.

8. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    If this is correct, You guys are AMAZING!

9. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Mr.Auerbach: If your father told you he owned a 212 Vignale spider, that confuses the issue, because 0140A is a 340 America. Your father may not have used the "correct" type verbiage, but surely, he would have known if he owned a 212 or a 340.

375+ and miurasv like this.
  10. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    The Ferrari system, where model designation is based on unitary cylinder volume of the engine rather than design appears to be difficult for many people even today. I can perfectly understand that someone would refer to a car as a "212" if they thought it looked like one, regardless of engine size.

11. JE_Auerbach

JE_Auerbach Rookie

Feb 17, 2015
    Los Angeles and NYC
    Full Name:
    Jake Auerbach
    The same thought certainly crossed my mind, but I have spent considerable time researching known 212 Vignale Spiders and was never able to find a car whose history would fit with my father having owned it in Texas between 1964 and 1968. The history of 0140A does not include my father's name but allows for the possibility he may have owned it, if even just briefly. Given that by 1964 this was a "used" and more obscure Ferrari model, I don't think it's impossible that nomenclature was somehow confused given the Vignale badging and general appearance of the car.

That said, my dad was known for many things, but a great memory was not one of them. Perhaps he simply confused the model name himself. Here is a Hemming's article from 2007 where he talks about one of our old cars (the Lazzarino) reminding him of the "212 Spyder Vignale" he used to own. Comparing it now to 0140A I understand where he saw the resemblance.