Official book collectors thread | Page 104 | FerrariChat

Official book collectors thread

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by lil squid, Jun 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doug23

Doug23 Karting

Jun 23, 2017
    Italy
    I'd be glad if someone would share his opinions about Scaletti's book "Le quattro cilindri". I found an used copy from an online seller but I've never seen the book in my hands.

Inviato dal mio BAH-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

2. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    I agree. I stopped buy R&T in the 80s when they seemed to become obsessed with Japanese cars.
    Nathan

3. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    I like this book. It's very comprehensive, covering sports and monoposto cars, and even experimental engines. I don't think you will be disappointed.
    There is another 4-cylinder book in preparation, by IIRC Antoine Prunet.
    Nathan

Doug23 likes this.
  4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I have not seen any indication of this either from the publisher, or by doing a Google search, so I will not believe this unless it actually happens. I don't know how its current circulation of over 600,000 compares to the other U.S. car magazines, but that seems plenty for a "niche" publication.

I first got R&T in 1968 to read Grand Prix race reports and have been a subscriber ever since (50+ years). Of course the race reports have disappeared, but with all the other sources now of F1 news (including the ability to watch the races live on TV) the need went away, which I can understand. (Back then, there were GPs whose winners I did not even know until I got the R&T article, several months after the race had happened!)

I will admit I have not liked the magazine as much since their last re-make, though it's better now than it was right after that re-make. I subscribe to the other U.S. car magazines and still don't like any of them as much as R&T, although they all have their high points; I particularly like Car & Driver's "10 Best" issue every January. And Autoweek is better as a biweekly than they were as a weekly; even with the extensive coverage of racing available now on TV, the racing coverage in Autoweek is still welcome.

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Ironically, I started getting Autoweek the first time, in 1972, after Auto Racing magazine went belly up; years later I had my subscription extended when Racecar magazine (which had previously been called Formula) folded. I disliked the old newspaper format because it was so bulky, and was glad when it changed to a magazine in 1986. I eventually dropped it because I had too much else to read, but renewed my subscription about a year ago after looking through a few issues on the newsstand.

Does anyone here remember Auto Racing or Formula/Racecar magazines?

6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    No, but I do remember On Track.

My parents used to send R&T and Competition Press (as it was known then) to me when I was in Vietnam. I figured it would have been too much of a burden to ask them to send all the others!

7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I do. I used to wait impatiently for Pete Lyon's F1 race reports in Autoweek--usually 2-3 weeks after the race.

8. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I distinctly remember buying that issue at the newsstand. I then scraped together $ for a subscription from my paper route money. From Road & Tracks best days, an issue I cherish to this day.

9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I've been subscribing to MT, C&D and R&T for over 50 years, and for many years to Autoweek.
    Why is it that the British can publish Autocar weekly, and do a better job than all 3 of the US monthly's?
    One of life's mysteries I guess.

375+ likes this.
  10. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    At one time, Henry Manney III, and occasionally Phil Hill, would do race reports. Manney took no prisoners and was hilarious to boot! Those were golden days of GP/sports car racing and magazine circulation.

Yr. fthfl svrt R.I.P

375+ likes this.
  11. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Best automobile writing team ever, from the glory days of Car and Driver:

David E. Davis, Jr.
    Brock Yates
    Warren Weith
    Jean Shepherd
    Jan P. Norbye
    Charles Fox

And the incomparable Bruce McCall.

All were authentic car guys who could write. They came at the right time. They were irreverent, daring, zany and couldn't be bullied by advertisers. They didn't take anything too seriously, even themselves.

Sharknose and 375+ like this.
  12. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    They were the best, and Jean Shepard and P.J. O'Rorke were my faves.

375+ likes this.
  13. Doug23

Doug23 Karting

Jun 23, 2017
    Italy
    Thanks Nathan, I really appreciate your opinion

Inviato dal mio BAH-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

14. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Central IN, USA
    Along with every other major US car mag. I used to get the big four in the '90s and '00s and the downfall has just been sad.

Does this mean CaD's done, too? I suppose I'll go back to Automobile.

15. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    me too.
    the other thing i loved about AW was the classified ads,
    so many cars back then, i remember two specifically from around 1981 or 82:
    1 - a 1966 ferrari 330 for $6,500 but ''needs a ring job',
    2 - mark donohue 1971 lola t-192 for i think less than $8,000

375+ likes this.
  16. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    A friend (met in later years) bought a non-running California Spyder and a Mercedes 280 SE from a single seller in the early 1970's. $5000 for the pair.

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Rob Walker did pretty well with race reports, too, but Manney was the best. And occasionally, R&T would parody itself with a section called "Rod & Truck", which was generally hilarious from start to finish!

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  18. PAT30

PAT30 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2007
    France
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Hello Nathan, Can you confirm your presence in Paris with your book, next week ? Thank you.

19. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Patrick
    I will be at Retromobile from Wednesday to Friday. The book - The Ferrari 550 & 575 Road & Race Legends - will be available on Horton's Books stand, and a few others if I can arrange it. If you want your book signed please go to Horton's. If I'm not there please ask them to phone me. I'll probably be wandering around.
    Nathan

PAT30 likes this.
  20. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    The Ferrari 550 & 575 Road & Race Legends book
    UPDATE
    - The standard editions are now printed, and will be available at Retromobile. As I will also be at Retromobile I will not be able to start shipping books until Feb 11th. So here are the options;
    Standard edition - only 1200 copies printed - 550 or 575 cover - £99 + £25 shipping to USA
    Blue leather edition - 150 copies only -120 more pages - detailed chassis listing - leather cover, so no 550 or 575 option - £295 + £25 shipping to USA
    red leather "Racing" edition - 50 numbered copies only - 120 more pages - detailed chassis listing - leather cover, so no 550 or 575 option - signed by Frederic Dor and Stephane Ratel - £495 + £25 shipping to USA
    leather editions will be ready to ship in about a month.
    Payment via Paypal - [email protected] - PLEASE put your email address and phone number in the Comments section of Paypal! This is for the delivery.

Special for FerrariChat users: I can sign all books, and can put a personalised message if you tell me what it should say.

I appreciate all of you who have indicated an interest in these books. Can you please confirm which edition you want, via email - [email protected]. Thank you all

Nathan

-CD-, gt4me, Rosey and 2 others like this.
  21. PAT30

PAT30 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2007
    France
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Thank you Nathan.
    I will be there on Wednesday.

22. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Email just sent.

Thanks

23. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    A shame if true on the R&T rumors.....I would say that newsstand distribution here in Texas is nill……

None of the Drug Store majors will have it, and even Barnes and Noble visit is a dry run.
    New format was PC based obviously as the print got SO small as to be unreadable, colored page backgrounds also seems to be "a trend"....

Makes Peter Egan the Last Man Standing, with Willie Nelson!
    He would like that, sad as it is......

375+ and jm2 like this.
  24. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I don't know about drugstores, but the Publix supermarkets and B&N stores here always have it.

Maybe they need to resurrect Stan Mott's Cyclops stories.

25. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Anyone with a sliver of interest in F1 should read: 'The Perfect Car', The Story of John Barnard. A very well written book, that is worth far more than the paper it was printed on!