488 DIY Plugging the Exhaust Vacumn Lines / Valves | FerrariChat

488 DIY Plugging the Exhaust Vacumn Lines / Valves

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 100badboy100, Jan 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    So......

I have just got round to plugging the exhaust vacuum lines on my 488.

I do also have a Forza control valve here in the box, but in the end decided I would plug the lines, as I think I will drive with them open all the time anyway. I did consider taking it to the dealer to do but thought I would try it myself and get to know my car a little bit better as well.

First just to say I did this solo with no issues...

What do you need to tackle the job....

- Bit of rubber hose with an internal diameter of around 4mm
    -4 stainless steel machine screws to plug the lines
    - 2 cable ties
    -socket set
    - Allen key set
    - something soft to put the diffuser on, I used some cushions from the lounge!!

How did I do it.....

- Jack the car up and take off 2 back wheels and put on axle stands- now the wheels can stay on but I took out the wheel arch liners as well to detail behind them

- Undo about 8 bolts that hold the diffuser on under the car you can see these, they are easy to get to

- Put some cushions or soft padding under the full length of the diffuser

- Undo the 8 black Allen bolts that hold the outer edge of the diffuser on. Take the 2 centre ones out first then the 2 small ones at the far edges then there are 4 long ones 2 on each side take one each side out then posistion yourself under the car and take the last 2 out whilst keeping the diffuser pushed up against the car.

- let the diffuser gently come away fro the car, pull it gently backward and it will then come away.

- lay it down on the cushions or soft blanket

- Then you will see to multi connectors for the fog light and active aero, unclog both of these, and then take the diffuser out of the way

- Extra step I did I took the wheel arch liners out about a dozen Allen bolts on each one and detailed and cleaned behind them, you don't have to take these out or the wheels off.

- Using a torch find the blue vacuum lines to the actuators and give them a firm pull to get them off. They are only push fit no clips on them

-Cut to short bits of old rubber tube about 40mm long and screw a stainless machine screw into them, and then push them on to the actuators to stop any dirt getting in the actuators. 40mm is about the right length to not rattle or interfere with anything or need cable ties

- Get your hand up and grab the blue vacuum tube and screw a stainless machine screw into the end of it- use a long screwdriver and you will be fine just go slow to stop keep slipping of the thread

- Using a cable tie tie the blue tube to the Exhaust bracket to stop it rattling around.

-Do the other side the same

- Now you are done and can put the diffuser back using the reverse of the above method

I'm really pleased with the result and it is fully reversible.

I also took the opportunity to give the underside and behind the arches and diffuser a good detail,and clean up.

If you are not doing the clean up and not taking the wheels off and arch liners out , I guess it would take you 2 hours in total.

Regards

Michael

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

BUELL XB12R, Ash1N, spyderman and 2 others like this.
  2. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I had the dealer do this and it sounds great and reversible. Excellent set of pictures detailing the process.

3. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    I had the capristo remote on my 458 and drove with valves open 95% of the time.

For my uncoming 488 I have a Novitec valveless exhaust I will install just after delivery. That should wake up the car plenty :).

4. anishka

anishka Karting

Dec 30, 2013
    U. P., Michigan
    Full Name:
    Larry
    Would enjoy seeing a video of your Novitec when your ride arrives.

Larry

5. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Nice write up and guide!

I suppose if I had a 488, I’d do the same and just plug the lines so the valves would be open all the time. But with a 458, I’m glad I installed a Forza controller, as there are plenty of times I want or need the car to be less loud. I am curious, though, why with all the work you did to r&r the diffuser just to plug the lines, and having a Forza controller in hand, you didn’t just install it so you have the option to close the valves on occasion?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. 100badboy100

Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi need for speed

I did consider it, as it would have been just as easy to install the unit, but the main reasons were

I will drive with them open all the time
    It saves adding in another electrical component to the car
    And the Forza unit defaults back to factory settings when the car is switched off, meaning you have to then use the remote to go back to open valves.

If the Forza unit had a memory function, it would have probably tipped the balance and I would have used it......

I still have it here sitting in the box, so if I do change my mind at some point it will be a fairly easy job now, as I know what I'm doing with taking the diffuser off and wheel arch liners etc.. I would probably locate it behind the left hand wheel arch liner.

Regards

Michael

Need4Spd likes this.
  7. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Hi 100badboy100 (quote function not working):

1) I unplugged the valves on my 458 and the constant droning eventually got to me so a controller in a 458 is a must have for me.
    2) Are their other controllers out there that retain the prior setting after a restart. I feel that resetting after each restart would be a PITA.
    3) Curious to hear if the 488 would likewise drone unacceptably with the valves unplugged.

Thanks ..... VJ

8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    The 488 differs in sound from the 458. The 488 is more muted with the valves closed due to the natural muffling by the turbos. So I can see it being a bother to have to press a button on each startup. 458 I agree can be too loud with the valves open all the time.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. 100badboy100

Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi Viper Joe

On the first point , I don't do a lot of long motorway runs in the car so I don't think the droning will be an issue , that said I'm not sure it will drone like the 458 as the turbos take some of the noise away. I also find myself now that I have the car back home driving it in manual all the time keeping it ine sweet spot, and I like the noise it makes. I guess like you if I get fed up with it I can put the controller in. I'm going to hang on to it for the time being just in case I change my mind but I don't think I will!

On the types of controllers out there I think some of them do have a memory function for the last setting if I'm honest I didn't check this before I bought the Forza one. I know the guy that makes the Forza one is looking to add this feature from what I understand moving forward.

I will update you when I have driven it a bit more with them pinned open, I've only driven it round the Village since I have done it as the roads are still filthy here.

If I do decide to put the valve controller in I reckon I could get it in in about 90minutes now I know what I'm doing with the diffuser and wheel arch liner removal, and would put it behind the left hand wheel liner.

Hope that helps?

Regards

Michael

10. 100badboy100

Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I took the car out on Sunday for a nice long drive up the coast to Bude, and took one of the lads from the local Ferrari garage with me too.

All I can say is that we both agreed that it was a brilliant modification to do to the 488. Apart from costing less than £1 to do, it really transforms the driving experience especially if like me you drive the car in manual most of the time.

It is not to loud or droney but certainly makes the car sound a whole lot better at low speeds and when you come off the throttle and down shift, it is a million times better to listen to.

The lad from the garage was also well impressed and he is around these cars all day long.

Yes I could spend £3-4K on a better Exhaust but for less than a quid this is plenty good enough for me.

If I were to do any other mods to the Exhaust it would have to be a decat and leave the stock silencer on.

That would give me more noise and hopefully flames on the overrun and again only be about £500 to do versus a whole new Exhaust. But would have to work out the best way to deal with the CEL if I do that.

Some on here may think I'm a bit tight with money, I'm not, I just like good value for money and this is a great low cost MOD for the 488, which is 100% reversible and doesn't interfere with the delicate electronics.

Regards

Michael

Melvok and anishka like this.
  11. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Thanks for the write up OP. This looks a great mod for those looking for a full time loud mode!

PS. Viper: I can't say my 488 drones in loud mode although I have found after an hour or two in the saddle under sustained performance driving it's nice having the option of switching back to quiet mode for a few minutes. So yeah, the Forza unit is definitely worthwhile I've found.

12. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Thank you for this great info!

13. Live Wire

Live Wire Rookie

Mar 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    MICHAEL P.
    Hi Michael,
    Do you think it is possible to remove the rear diffuser without jacking up the car? I don't have a floor jack that will get under my 488 to reach the jack point. it is a little tight but i can reach the bolts. I am just concerned about lowering and raising it back up.

14. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I was not capable of such a task and had the dealer do it for me. I can honestly say the sound is much better at low speeds. It is different from my 458 but it’s hearty to say the least. Best , Kirk.

15. Garthbo

Garthbo Rookie

Oct 2, 2018
    Manila, Philippines
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I'm thinking of doing this on my own as well. To anyone who has done this DIY, is it really necessary to jack up the rear of the car? It seems like a straight forward job but I don't have a floor jack and axle stands.

Thanks.

16. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Try it without the stands, the diffussor will get off …. (did that once on my 458 so too).

You may struggle a bit more but imo, you will get it done :)

And let us know Anthony !

Make a write-up as nice as Michael just did too please.

17. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Back onto low profile ramps.

Juice likes this.
  18. Live Wire

Live Wire Rookie

Mar 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    MICHAEL P.
    I think it would be tight to get the diffuser off without raising the back end. I used ramps and a wheel chock from Home Depot and had plenty of room. The down side is you cannot take the wheels off and getting the wheel well liners out is a little tight. I was removing the rear bumper though. If you only need the diffuser off the ramps are the easiest and cheapest. IMO.

19. Foxmod

Foxmod Karting

Jun 17, 2012
    Midlands, UK
    Full Name:
    David
    I asked my detailer to take the rear bumper off, I then did the valves open all the time mod in 45mins. I'll never go back, makes the 488 what it should be. My dealer said it sounded Enzo ish when I visited

Cigarzman likes this.
  20. Live Wire

Live Wire Rookie

Mar 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    MICHAEL P.
    I have the switch but i always have it in bypass mode. It sounds so much better! Especially badass on cold starts!

Foxmod and Viperjoe like this.
  21. Joe_CT

Joe_CT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 16, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks for the write up and detailed pictures. I had the dealer plug the valves for me on my 488 before I took delivery of the car. I love the sound and want the car as loud as possible all the time (given turbo muting impact on exhaust volume). This is a great thread in the event I want to return it to the "stock" setup if I ever go to sell the car in the future.

22. Garthbo

Garthbo Rookie

Oct 2, 2018
    Manila, Philippines
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Thanks for all the tips. I will purchase some low profile ramps first prior to doing this mod.

23. 488mct

488mct Rookie

Feb 6, 2017
    Oman
    Thank you @100badboy100 for the detailed write up and pictures, I am certainly of the mindset of not messing around with the delicate electronics of these cars and appreciate the fact that it is completely reversible. Would you be able to post video clips/ sound clips after disconnecting the lines? and pls. do share your views on the sound and droning issue many are concerned about

24. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Music to the ears with no noticeable droning (which I did find a bit annoying in my 458). Unplug and enjoy the symphony.

Cigarzman, 488mct and Foxmod like this.
  25. Garthbo

Garthbo Rookie

Oct 2, 2018
    Manila, Philippines
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I'm almost done with this DIY but got stuck on finding a cover for the actuator nipple. I can't seem to find any old rubber hose. I do have a hard plastic hose that fits perfectly and can be used as a cover but I'm afraid this would melt or burn from the engine heat.

Any other options to cover the actuator nipple? Does this get hot to the point it can burn or melt hard plastic?

Appreciate your help here. Thanks.