I think I forgot something.... | FerrariChat

I think I forgot something....

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ghostdiver, Jan 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Couple weeks ago, I pulled my drivers front wheel to do some maintenance. Like it usually happens, i got in a hurry and rushed.

Jump ahead to today....nice day, cool temps....good day for a drive. Set out about 11 this morning, drove about 30 miles and went to eat lunch with a buddy. Took off down the road, caught in construction traffic moving about 5 mph but not more than 30.

Started to hear a noise, like a knocking in the front suspension. Determined it went away if you tapped the brakes. Kept going until i could pull off the highway, wondering if I torqued the lugs when I pulled the wheel....

That would be a negative Ghostrider....two MIA, and a third backing out.....

Expensive lesson learned...how expensive is yet to be determined. Hopefully, there wont be any damage to the hub...

Thank God I was in stop and go low speed traffic, rather than flying down the highway...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-G955U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Oengus likes this.
  2. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
  3. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    That is scary

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Called my roadside assistance...aka the wife...and had her bring supplies. Pulled the wheel, did an inspection of the wheel and suspension. Good news is all the threads are good. Reinstalled the lugs and TORQUED THEM then back home. Up next is detailed inspection of everything...

Thank God for the traffic that I was cussing because if I had been at speed (75 mph for that stretch) it would have been a little harry....

whatheheck and DefunctNeurons like this.
  5. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Not sure I'd broadcast this mistake if this was me doing it---just sayin'--!

Sent from my LG-M150 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Thanks for the reminder to double-check this stuff...and for being real about mistakes we all make sometimes!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

whatheheck, Mimmo Blue and Oengus like this.
  7. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Long story, I nearly lost a wheel once. Caught it just in time. No damage. You might be lucky and no damage except some wheel hub paint. Glad you are safe.

02360spider likes this.
  8. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    First words to the mechanic ... "Look what my wife did!"

9. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Nobody's perfect. We all make mistakes and we all forget to do something once in a while.

Happy to hear you are OK.

Dan

10. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    Relatively inexpensive yet good reminder how a even small distraction when tinkering with cars can really lead into something bad, either financially or even life threatening accident. I try always do one job at a time, no phone calls, no "wifey time", nothing whiles at it. And if I'm even slightest in doubt, I'll check.

Once I got carried way when doing simple rear brake job to my daily driver that apparently I forgot to tighten the rear caliper upper bolt as it wen MIA while driving (luckily in suburb area) and the upper part of the caliper "dropped" on the alloy wheel causing it almost to lock and made really bad mars to the said alloy wheel.

What a ****** thing to do but I always remind me, it could have been with my F-car.

11. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    I’d hate to admit it but I have been there on an E36 M3 many years ago when I was just learning how to work on cars. Believe it or not, failing to torque the wheel bolts/lugs after lowering the car is more common than you may think and can cause severe damage and even injury. I learned my lesson and now I always leave the torque wrench on the driver seat/floor throughout the job just as a reminder before I turn the key. I know that feeling in your gut after you realize what it was so just glad it worked out okay!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Yep it happens. I did something to my wifes horse float a fews ago and never tightened not one, but two wheels on one side.
    That was messy :) Nothing died or got injured but I was deeply in the S**T for a few days.

13. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Human error. Fact of life. All we can do is learn from these misadventures and try to adopt procedures to reduce risk.

Good thing you aren’t one of those who advocate using anti seize on lug threads (I’m not one). May have been worse.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

14. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I lost a wheel on the highway once, after I let Walmart rotate the tires on my suv.

It’s very disconcerting seeing your wheel roll pass you on the highway a couple hundred feet.
    Fortunately damage to my suv was minimal (I was actually towing a small trailer at the time, which may have helped balance my truck on 3 wheels), and the wheel didn’t hit any other vehicles.

15. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    you got lucky!
    I learned long ago to put a;
    "Lug bolts loose"
    sign on the drivers window.
    Don't ask me how I learned this lesson............................

Craig

fc2, John_K_348 and whatheheck like this.
  16. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The OP is lucky for sure!
    Many moons ago I was driving along I695 that circles Baltimore. As above, the right front tire came loose and rolled off on to the shoulder. It was a company car, well, not so much a company car as it was... my marked police car. Very embarrassing! The county shop that had just performed maintenance on the car forgot to tighten the lug nuts.

When I work on my car wheels/tires I put a small piece of painters tape on each lug nut as i torque it down in case I get distracted and have to leave mid-task. OCD I guess.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    There was a fella who broke out of jail in the South somewhere.

He stole a car and took off.

While driving the right front wheel came off causing the vehicle to come to an abrupt halt.

The arriving police officer heard the convict say while looking at the wheel as the police officer pulled up

"you picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel"!!!

18. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    First, Glad you are safe. Second, this isn't big deal and we have all done this, something equally silly, or had something similar happen. I had a shop replace the rear A-arm bushings and they didn't tighten one of the bolts (not my Ferrari). I lost that suspension at 40 MPH on Van Ness (San Francisco) in the middle of traffic. Really not sure how I didn't hit anything OR how I found a parking spot right then and managed to pull over.

19. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    Wally,

I have some extra mint lugs if needed if yours got scratched/beat up. Swing by and pick them up for free if needed.

Cheers, Mat

20. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Smart, very smart. Great tip.

whatheheck likes this.
  21. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Yup, like the remove before flight banners on aircraft. I have for on my tender cable on my steering wheel because I forgot it 2x this summer with the long roll out procedure at home. Ramps, cover, tender and so on. Glad you are safe and the wheel stayed on.

22. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I'm so anal with checking mine, I probably check them 3 times each if rotating tires, etc..I worry about this very thing happening to me/my wife. Things happen though, we're all human, this time you got lucky with minimal to no damage.

23. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    A shop forgot to torque the driveshaft bolts after doing a clutch replacement on a buddy’s 599. The bolts backed out just about when he arrived home. Lots of noise as they dropped out! We theorized that the tech hand-started and got them snug, got distracted, and when he returned to the task, thought he already torqued them. The shop made good on everything, but it was scary.

Glad to hear nothing bad happened to the OP.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

24. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    A mechanic of mine uses a chalk/wax piece to mark EVERY torqued nut and bolt...makes him comfy....but maybe use tape unless you want have to wash the wheels after!!

25. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    Did you have extra lugs to use or were you able to somehow find the ones that flew out?