458 airbag problem | FerrariChat

458 airbag problem

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by TheMostFamousHustler, Dec 16, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMostFamousHustler

Nov 12, 2018
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    TheMostFamousHustler
  2. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    First of all I hope there were no injuries to you or to your passenger.

Did your 458 had the airbags replaced as per recall campaign, or were you still on the waiting list when this happened? Or is this post-recall?

Kind regards,

Nuno.

3. TheMostFamousHustler

Nov 12, 2018
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    TheMostFamousHustler
    Hi Nuno,
    It is post-recall, but Ferrari brought to my attention that the recall was for the front passenger airbag, not the side...

AlfistaPortoghese and of2worlds like this.
  4. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Woah.... that made me look at this: https://auto.ferrari.com/en_US/owners/recall-campaign/ and look at a particular VIN

"If the passenger-side front airbag is deployed, a defective inflator produced by Takata can send sharp metal fragments toward the vehicle occupants, resulting in injury or death."

Glad you are ok

5. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    But as mentioned, the recall was for defective front passenger airbag; here what you seem to have got is rather a defective sensor (over sensitive in this case) for the side passenger airbag.
    I think there should be a kind of self-test for defective sensors, but obviously that did not work properly.

6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    First time we see this imo, please keep us informed ...

of2worlds likes this.
  7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Glad you're OK. Please keep us updated.

of2worlds likes this.
  8. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Which model year please, is your Italia? 2011?

Melvok likes this.
  9. TheMostFamousHustler

Nov 12, 2018
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    TheMostFamousHustler
    Italia, 2010

10. TheMostFamousHustler

Nov 12, 2018
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    TheMostFamousHustler
    Ferrari answer:
    "At this point there is nothing new from the factory and they have closed the case on their end. The estimate for the repairs is $8,436.95. this includes replacement of the right door airbag, the right door panel, the right side airbag in the dash, and the airbag ECU. The door panel is made to order and can take up to 12 weeks to make."

if you guys have any recommendations...

11. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    damn,that must be a scary experience, and glad there's no injury. So the airbag explode on its own and ferrari is asking you to pay for it?

12. TheMostFamousHustler

Nov 12, 2018
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    TheMostFamousHustler
  13. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    Let me guess, you have to pay for it too.

14. TheMostFamousHustler

Nov 12, 2018
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    TheMostFamousHustler
  15. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I find that hard to believe, and how long is the airbag warranties by takata since many of them havent blow up since 1990s....if there's serious injury in this I smell lawsuit. I would look at used door panels from salvage yards to save the time and cost....reupholster it if the interior color isnt common

AClark likes this.
  16. TheMostFamousHustler

Nov 12, 2018
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    TheMostFamousHustler
    I'm now considering what I will do next. I'm speaking with lawyers, insurance companies, etc. I won't buy another Ferrari until this non-sense is resolved (in a matter of fact, before the problem happened, I was in discussions with Ferrari San Francisco to buy a 812 SF... well, I guess I'll pass for now!)

For those interested, I made videos about the problem and the way Ferrari handled it. Here is the link to the new one:

17. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    This is actually a common issue and I have seen it happen to quite a few cars not just Ferrari. Generally a very sharp blow to one of the rocker areas between the wheels but I have also seen it with very large potholes. Keep in mind there are only really only two companies making air bag systems so generally problems are not isolated to brands of cars.

AClark likes this.
  18. TheMostFamousHustler

Nov 12, 2018
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    TheMostFamousHustler
    Thank you Winsock. What's your recommendation? Don't you think that the brand should fix it and not the end-user?

19. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    First it doesn't matter what I think, my opinion isn't swaying anyone to get it fixed. I have worked within Ferrari Dealer network for a very long time. Here is how the conversation is likely going.
    Did you buy it new? As a loyal customer both the dealer and the brand have a stake in making you happy. Regardless of who's responsible.
    If not new did you buy it from a dealer? The dealer has a stake in making you happy.
    Did you buy it used from an independent party? Have you been a loyal service client of the dealer? If not then the Dealer and manufacturer don't really have any motivation at this point.
    Did you qualify for the extended warranty? Did you decline the extended warranty.
    The car is 8 years old and has been out of warranty for 5 years. At some point you become responsible for the car.
    It would be interesting to look at the data and see what is in the module memory and see what triggered the event. Was it actually a triggered event or an unwanted airbag deployment. I have seen aftermarket items and static electricity set off bags but that is much less common then a false trigger by an impact or severe pothole.

AClark and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  20. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA

First off, I’m sorry to see that this happened to you! I can only hope that your significant other was not resting their arm on the door as you were driving along.

As for the deployment, I can see from your photos that you have lowered the car. IMO that in and of it’s self is going to be a hard hill to climb if you choose to go the “ legal “ route.

I have had the same thing happened to me, driving on a back road enjoying my car, when in full tilt left-hand turn I hit some uneven surfaces , the door panel airbag deployed. It was not until we got the car back to the dealership did we realize that the seemingly slightly uneven surface was actually more than that, enough so that it bent both the right side wheels.

If you have the time, request that they send the airbag EC you to the factory for them to decipher the data that was captured during the incident, it should tell you exactly how sharp of an impact or how uneven the surface actually was.

Good luck in your quest, and not that you are asking for it, but my opinion is that you should pay for the repair and move on to the next Ferrari you are in discussions with Ferrari on!

A

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  21. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    By the end, you can only sell this 458 if repaired … so you have to …. but a bad solution imo.

But Andrew gives us a very good idea about how dealers/factory might react …

Lowering of our cars may have consequences … food for thought …

All the best … and move on … :)

22. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA
    From the OP’s original post, it did not “explode on its own”, he hit “ bumpy “ surfaces. Just how uneven is open to speculation, but obviously uneven enough to deploy a passenger side door airbag ( wink )

A

23. TheMostFamousHustler

Nov 12, 2018
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    TheMostFamousHustler
    Thank you all for your messages. I’ll keep you posted.

24. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Guys it’s quite simple
    Send airbag ecu for analysis. Did the sensor deploy within its parameters. If not you have a claim regardless. If they can prove Lowering the car aggravates the deployment then that is contributory negligence, in other words, what they would otherwise owe you is deducted by your percentage of fault.
    The difficult part is the ECU reading is only as good as the physical sensor having accurate readings. The sensor may still be able to be tested for tolerances. If within factory tolerance I think your claim is weak, if it’s shown the sensor itself is too sensitive, you have a good claim subject to any deduction from lowering the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  25. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Theorethical, it sounds perfect friend daflk .

But where and how can you read the values of the ECU ?