Road & Track OTW out... | FerrariChat

Road & Track OTW out...

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by NYC Fred, Jan 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Texas Forever likes this.
  2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    There is unlimited content out there. Who is actually going to pay for digital content as R&T?

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Sad, and I guess I'm part of the problem? I had a non-stop R&T subscription from the mid 70s to the mid 2000s. But then, I rarely have time for the online version either.

5. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Magazines are going the way of the dodo. My old boss texted me a couple weeks back, he's likely going to be laid off, he's 52. His words to me "be glad you're not in the business anymore."

Georgia Pacific is in the process of shuttering their last consumer paper mill. They're still making paper, but it's woven stuff for toilet paper, diapers, etc.

Print is dead.

6. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    i still subscribe to a couple dozens magazines. Laying on the chaise with a magazine or a book is so much better than a tablet.

Ak Jim, Isobel, rdefabri and 3 others like this.
  7. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I use Texture for magazines now. Only get a few paper versions. Those out there married know why. Piles of magazines don’t go over well. The digital version of Nat Geo is amazing. Digital content available goes back to about 2012 for most magazines. And funny, with paper magazines I find myself trying to pinch and zoom so I can read it or zoom to a pic - that’s a cool feature with digital.

8. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I started out well can’t say reading but looking at car magazines from the time I was in the playpen. If I started crying my Dad would throw his motor trend in the playpen and I would shut right up and look at the pictures. I still have stacks all around my house and enjoy reading them when I get the time. Sad to see them go it has been a constant in my life.

Texas Forever and Isobel like this.
  9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Once I learned what automotive journalism could be, from everyone from LJK Setright to Ken Purdy, I stopped reading the mainstream car magazines.

Matt

10. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    The cars were prettier, the racing reports were legend and the best drivers raced everywhere. Thankful I was able to experience the joy and enthusiast’s anticipation of what Road & Track could stuff in those pages every month during its heyday. R&T has been an urn of pleasant memories for at least two decades, not much more.

Lloyd and Texas Forever like this.
  11. 308steve

308steve Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    I hope I get a refund.

12. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I remember David E. Davis, Brock Yates, Patrick Bedard, Tony Swan, Csaba Csere, Peter Egan etc looking forward to all their articles and columns each month.

NYC Fred likes this.
  13. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#13 Tcar, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Also remember their April Road Tests every year (April Fool's)...

They tested a San Francisco Cable Car, a GoodYear Blimp, a Cyclops, etc. ...and Stirling Moss... Claimed he was actually a Robot... the wrinkles in his neck were air intake louvers... even his name; Moss stood for "Ministry of Speed Sports"... a nod to his very methodical and calculating driving style.

For years it was my ONLY subscription.

rob likes this.
  14. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    While never subscribing I always picked up one before a flight or while on vacation if a newsstand was available. I prefer hard copy to digital but that likely goes with the generation. Will miss R/T in hard copy.