Used F12 or new Portofino | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Used F12 or new Portofino

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by colonels, Feb 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    If I had the money to buy both, I'd cut the chassis out from under them and put the Porto's body on the F12's drivetrain. V12 Portofino = The Car Ferrari Should Have Built.

iloveferrari likes this.
  2. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Was very disappointed to see the Porto at pebble beach. Don’t like the design cues outside at all. And it looked cheap and plastic in Rosa corsa. Probably in classy silver etc it looks much better.

I don’t find the f12 to be a stunner, but I’d take the f12 at Porto prices for sure.

As someone noted, if replacing an Aston or BMW then the Porto is probably a good substitute.

3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    No contest here - F12 without hesitation...

Nicky_Santoro and x z8 like this.
  4. NZCREW

NZCREW Karting

Nov 20, 2018
    I'm currently faced with the same dilemma. I have now driven both. Both are excellent in my view. A couple of points I noted...
    Although I'd say the F12 is the ultimate Ferrari experience, given the speed restrictions faced in my area (only 100 KMPH on open road and 50 or 60 KMPH around town), I found it difficult to realistically get anything out of the F12. Put your foot down at the lights and boom 100 KMPH before you know it!! Change down to 2nd and give it a little juice and before you can even change the gears twice you're at 150KMPH!! I can't take anything away from the F12, but practically speaking can you even use 25% of its capability? The F12 was a more "serious" car. Although I very much enjoyed the sound through a tunnel... even if I was in 1st gear!!
    The Portofino was also very quick. However the "playfulness" of the gear ratios and the lower revving torque from the turbo made it really fun. I also enjoyed the "pop" and "crackle" the gear changes made. The car overall was more fun and playful, whereas the F12 was a little scary. I did get a chance to ring the portofino out a little on a hilly / windy road and I couldn't fault it. It fast enough for me!!
    For me the practicality of the updated infotainment / sat nav / phone etc. And the 2 rear seats are probably going to be important enough for me to go the direction of the Portofino. The convertible aspect is a bonus, although I think the car looks best with the roof down.
    I agree the depreciation of the F12 will be much less. Flip side the 7 years warranty and service from Ferrari on new car is pretty impressive.

BHMSOCCER, Golden Steed and GlowRed like this.
  5. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I genuinely liked the Portofino after my 3-day test drive. Big step up from the Cali T.

Nonetheless, I can’t imagine any reason to buy a new PF over the stellar F12 unless you really want a convertible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

x z8 likes this.
  6. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Revival of this discussion.
    I have a 488 spider so the convertible box is checked.
    Will likely replace my 599 HGTE soon with an F12. I considered the PF but leaning strongly to F12.
    Interesting to read the comments from 2018.

7. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I last posted on this thread two years ago, a lot has changed. I have bought a sold dozens of cars and I have finally realized that Ferrari's are just not for me. I just got rid of the 458 spider and now have Porsche #45 (a 2019 already modified to over 500hp Targa 4S). I have owned many cars (485 to be exact) and #486 will be another 4C (spider this time), which I intend to make a scary monster (going to take it apart like my crazy one of a kind 997), the chassis should be able to handle close to 475hp. I have said this often, but it is the truth, cars are just adult tinker toys to me.

8. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Interesting. We have a 991 911 turbo S that my wife drives mostly. We love it and it has its place. I think Porsche has nailed the styling in the 991 and 992. However from an event and thrill standpoint nothing touches taking out the 488 or 599. It’s just another level. I appreciate the rarity as well.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I am not capable of any emotion but fear so there are no events for me. I own a one of a kind car, cannot get much rarer than that. Being me is not like being any of you, and for me taking cars apart and making them better machines is what I find interesting. I build machines designed to scare the crap out of me and test my ability, anything else is just too boring for me. When I am done with the 4C it will make most modern Ferrari's seem tame.

George Vosburgh likes this.
  10. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
  11. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I do not have your mechanical skill or patience therefore I’m limited to what the manufacturer or expensive mechanic can provide.

Being you is very much like being all of us.
    You’re a carnut! Would love to experience scared in the 4C. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Texas Forever likes this.
  12. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Thank you I try to offer an opinion that comes from a different place than the rest of you. Like all opinions it is not right or wrong, it is just mine.

13. Beezztie

Beezztie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2021
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Reinier
    And two more years since the last post in this topic. My dilemma is a bit different from the original post but thought it would still be allowed to post here. I have a ‘11 California, little over a year now, 1st Ferrari. Took the plunge after having owned a number of sportscars, mostly 911’s in various versions, up to the 991 4S Cab. Love the Cali and the Ferrari experience. Biggest fear, reliability, has proven to be a non issue. Two years of Ferrari Approved warranty helped off course, but besides the 3rd breaklight not working no issues. But since I cannot seem to hold on very long to a car I am looking for something else, also Ferrari. F12 is very high on my list, 458 Spider as well, or do nothing and keep the Cali. Test drove the F12, amazing machine, different league than the Cali IMO. Cali prices increased a bit so hardly any depreciation since I bought it. Biggest dilemma for me is Coupe only versus Convertible and Coupe in one car. Love driving top down and even here in the Netherlands you can do that surprisingly often. Owning a Ferrari V12 on the other hand is something I feel I must have experienced, if only for a while. 458 Spider is for a different Forum off course so will not go into that here. Choices choices..

ryalex likes this.
  14. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    For me there is no contest between a convertible V8 and a V12 berlinetta - I hate the compromise brought by the spiders (terrible lack of rigidity) and I worship the V12 (even though it's a relic of the past).
    I actually bought my 488 (first, and probably only forever, Ferrari I bought new) instead of a used F12 to replace my beloved 599, but I eventually had to buy another V12 (a 550) to complement it...

Beezztie and George Vosburgh like this.
  15. Beezztie

Beezztie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2021
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Reinier
    That is another option I was thinking of, buy a V12 next to the California. F12 not a option for me in that case, 599 maybe although these also became more expensive. Choices choises..

16. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    F12 everyday of the week.

Best value, best driving, best sounding and best looking car ever made!

How can you even be asking the question?

Beezztie likes this.
  17. FLU

FLU Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    Flu
    F12 is among Ferrari Royalty IMO. No contest between the two in terms of specialness. I currently have both in the garage and do love the Portofino as a daily, wonderful car!

Beezztie likes this.
  18. ScottJon

ScottJon Karting

Jul 14, 2018
    Hollywood. Ca. USA
    Full Name:
    Scott Leibow
    I love my f12 so much that I will not get rid of it. I’ll get others, had others before it.

It is a very special car.

I’ve driven the portofino, no internet in that one, although I do like it better than the California.

I live where a Ferrari and all other high end cars are everywhere, I honestly do not see the resemblance between the Portofino and f12 in person

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Beezztie likes this.
  19. Beezztie

Beezztie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2021
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Reinier
    Thanks for all the advice, F12 it is. Made a deal on a low milage 2014 F12 today, cannot wait to drive her. Different forum so will stop spamming this forum. Cali will be traded in, let’s see how soon I will miss her..

montegoblue likes this.