512BB prices dropping? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

512BB prices dropping?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by jww427, May 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Miura are a generation before BB, it's natural they are more expensive (older, rarer). They are similar to Daytona, not BB.

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The spectrum I see in boxers firsthand is mind boggling, its from one end to the other. Finding someone that wants to make one 100% right is harder than the actual task.

boxerman likes this.
  3. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
  4. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    this is pretty definitive proof.
    this car is almost exactly the same as mine, with arguably better documentation and blessing by marcel. and this is what it achieves......hmmmm
    the only thing i can hope for is that under the shiny exterior that somebody found an issue, but i doubt it.

this is the state of the boxer market.

at least my insurance doesnt need to be so high ! :)

5. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Be careful not to use a single auction car's result as a commentary on the overall market.

Note that I'm not making a commentary about the specific BB/BBi market though.

6. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I was surprised it didn’t get more. The 328gtbs also sold for less at this auction. With the strong economy, and the auto industry crushing new car sales on the luxury side this was definitely a GOOD buy.

7. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I agree, this sale might have been an outlier. Not at all in line with other BBis.

8. E_Man

E_Man Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Does anyone have experience buying a 512 BB in Europe and then importing it to the US? Is it a simple 2.5% duty to get the car out of Europe and into the states? Earlier in this thread someone mentioned a 20% VAT?

9. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    No VAT on an export out of Europe.

10. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    to get a car out of europe there is no duty to pay. when you buy from a dealer you don´t have to pay the sales tax ( VAT ) but then the dealer has to ship the car and not you. when you buy from private there is no tax/VAT.
    but you may check for the US about the registration, even it is a vintage car.

12. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This car was cosmetically a driver plus this from the auction catalog is a huge red flag:

“this BBi was recently treated to an engine-out service, though the car will require further mechanical maintenance before road use.”

Weak examples at auction is what has been negatively affecting prices.

13. E_Man

E_Man Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I personally inspected this car at Gooding and found no obvious flaws or defects.

14. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    As did I. Not knocking the car but it wasn’t a top condition car.

Again from the auction catalog:

“culminating with a 26-year period of storage by the consignor.” This can equate to major dollars on a Boxer. A mechanical overhaul can easily exceed $100k. The BB there had the same issue. Any buyer would have to proceed with caution.

15. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    Going back to a much earlier thread- two years later. Thinking of buying a late BBi. Considering how few of these cars were manufactured, there seems to be quite a few for sale. Anyone care to come up with a spread of prices for 2021. Certainly pretty firmly in the 200's but from there- hard to say. Quite a few 20,000KM and under cars for sale. Some look bad, and others look like new. Anyone care to opine on buying a WHITE BBi.

After buying a 458 Spider and watching it depreciate from a 332k car to a little over 190K, that's pretty sobering. A LOT nicer to buy a car that at least will hold its
    value if bought right. Any one here have both a Testarossa and a Boxer? I LIKE having the hot air of the Testarossa behind me, Wondering just how HOT a BBi may be in comparison. I have a 328 GTB that frankly on a warm day, I can't drive with the window down. The hot air from the radiator, just seems to come right into the open window. Curious if the boxer exhibits the same traits.

16. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i have a 512tr and a bbi.
    they are very different cars despite the similarities.
    the bbi gets hot unless it is freezing outside - the ac barely cuts it.
    the 512tr runs cool.

17. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    Ross does it get hot enough, you just don't want to drive the car? The last thing I want is to buy a car I hate to drive because it's overbearingly hot. I was talking to a fellow Testarossa owner at Monterey, and we got around to him discussing another one of my bucket list cars- a GT40. He said it's so horrible to drive, he took it out one day, and just called a tow truck to take him and the car home. I still get warm and fuzzy looking at GT40's but a conversation like that , really STICKS in your mind. How BAD can a car possibly be?

So your car is HOT, you still keep it and drive it- must have some other much more endearing features?

18. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    it depends on where you live - ie the ambient heat.
    i have driven the bbi everywhere - including the targa florio and giro di sicilia where it was hot, and yes it was pretty hot inside after a few hours. the worst is here in houston in the summer - 100+ degrees and 98% humidity.
    but, where you are, it will be just fine - you may not have to engage the heater, but you will not suffer like those in hot climates do.

19. johnaz

johnaz Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2009
    Carefree, AZ/Anchorage, Alaska
    Full Name:
    John Schwamm
    How do you all see the Boxer prices in 2021? Range for top cars?
    Thanks,
    John

20. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Never buy a Ferrari because you are worried about depreciation or you think it will make you money in owning it.

Buy it because you want it and believe you will enjoy owning and driving it

One idiot driving a Kia and your idea of making money are out the window. One major repair and you're upside down in a heartbeat.

If you do enjoy it and you make money, terrific. But there's no guarantees in life aside from the guarantee that if you own it, you will love it.

21. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Brian, I had a 512BB for about 9 years. It won't be a problem for you. I would make sure the air conditioning is working, however-- unless it was cold, that was sort of a no-go item. It doesn't do much, but in the PNW climate it does just enough.

I found the Boxer to be a fun car, and drove it quite a bit. It wasn't that useful-- with minimal trunk space, you couldn't really take it on a trip and as a track day car it wasn't great, but it was quite fun for just taking out for an afternoon drive.

boxerman and 375+ like this.
  22. johnaz

johnaz Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2009
    Carefree, AZ/Anchorage, Alaska
    Full Name:
    John Schwamm
    Can anyone provide some idea of pricing in 2021 for Boxer cars, preferable upper end quality cars?

23. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

Approximately starting at 250K - 350K

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I’d agree with 250-300k
    The key is a well sorted car or a really clean car and then having someone like Newman sort it.

you’re not going to see depreciation at these prices provided you take good care of it. That’s the run, it’s going to average about at 5k per year in maintanace unless you do the work yourself. So factor that in and factor in what it costs to sort and deduct that amount from a. Future sale price assuming the market stays flat.

given wre back to 2013 prices there not going down: