83 308 GTS QV: What is the normal oil pressure? | FerrariChat

83 308 GTS QV: What is the normal oil pressure?

Discussion in '308/328' started by SaratogaCA, Jan 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    I have an 83 eou GTS QV. After starting up, the oil pressure needle is awfully close to zero - basically, at less than one quarter mark.

During driving, the needle comes up from time to time, but I don't recall ever seeing it go past the halfway mark.

So, two questions for fellow F-Chatters:

1- What is the normal range for the oil pressure?
    2- If the pressure is low, what needs to be done?

Thanks,
    Sam in Saratoga

2. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    Upon a cold start pressure should go up to 80 - 85 and stay there until engine reaches operating temperature. Once that occurs it will be at the 1/4 when idling and move to 80 when driving or increased rpm.

3. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    The 308 oil pump is quite robust. The 308 oil pressure gauge system is notoriously unreliable.

4. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Ferrari 308 oil pressure gauges are notoriously inaccurate. Checking the pressure with a "known to be accurate" mechanical gauge may help you sleep at night.

5. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Oil pressure gauge is as about as accurate as water temperature gauge. Take Mike's advice and check it with a good quality mechanical gauge if in doubt.

6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Upgrade to the digital sending unit like I did.

Brian A likes this.
  7. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Another thought is to read the oil pressure section in the owners manual.

8. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    1. At startup (and for a while after), my needle is around the halfway mark. It stays in this area under normal driving load.
    2. Once warmed up, it drops to about the 1/8-1/4 area when the car is at idle. If I throttle blip (at idle), it will jump to 1/4-1/2.

If your pressure is showing low, the best idea is to confirm what the pressure actually is with the proper testing gauge. Only then will you know if the problem is the oil pressure, or the sending unit. In other words: just because these sensors are known to be flaky, doesn't mean your oil pressure is not too low.

jcurry and Brian A like this.