250 Pininfarina coupe originality | FerrariChat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    This is the 250 PF Borrani web page done.

https://www.borrani.com/ferrari-wheels/250-pininfarina-coupe.html

Please let me know any thoughts. i want to try to get our Borrani site as accurate as possible. And if you had any pictures that you thought might make that page more complete (build sheets car pictures specially period ones) they would be gratefully accepted

2. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Looks like you got the three types... however, a good many later Series II cars are mounted with 15 inch wheels. The question is did these cars come this way or were these conversions?
    A Series II Cabriolet owner once told me that the European market cabrios wore the 400mm wheels and the export wore 15 inch wheels. Can anyone corroborate this?
    john

3. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    I kind of think that they wouldn't have been 15" in period.

I think they would have originally have been fitted with 600X16 Stella Bianca https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirelli-collezione/pirelli-stella-bianca/600x16-pirelli-stella-bianca-2228.html i will be getting my first delivery of these on Wednesday. I must say i am very excited about these. I think that most of the big European Sports cars of the '50s fitted 600X16 tyres. Currently other than the Dunlop Racing there is not a really good Crossply in this size, and that is not really that suited to the road, in that the carcass is a bit racy and they are not a tyre you really want to find yourself out in the wet with.

When we first were getting involved with making these crossply performance tyres, Pirelli had been able to do there clever in house testing. but what they hadn't been able to do was fit the to some '50s Sports cars and have them tested by some experienced historic drivers so they sent 3 possible carcass constructions over and we went testing with them. What is nice is that all 3 drivers categorically agreed on which was the best structure. all 3 were good. but 1 stood out above the rest.

So what we have is a high performance crossply tyre that handles beautifully. the compound and tread will mean it reacts better to water than any other current performance crossply. it will have a more protected side wall for road use. It was OE on loads of fabulous Ferrari's and looks ace! (I suppose recently the Avon TurboSpeed would be the only other good crossply)

Often millimetric wheels are associated with fitting radial tyres to early cars. At that time you could get radial 165R400 tyres for Citroen Traction Avante and Lancia Aurelia