308 window motor gearbox grease | FerrariChat

308 window motor gearbox grease

Discussion in '308/328' started by mattboyd, Jan 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mattboyd

mattboyd Karting

Dec 14, 2003
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    Matt Boyd
    There is a lot to search on regarding the windows, and this is my third time to work on mine (I've had my car over 20 years, so....).

The first time I took the gearbox apart, it was like green glue. I cleaned it all up and put white lithium grease in and that helped a lot. Second time apart it was like brown/white glue and I put new white lithium grease in again. Last night I found the same thing again. For those who have been in that gearbox before, think of that little worm gear that drives the big gear....there are two little copper bushing things (one on each end of the shaft coming from the motor with the worm gear). The old grease was so sticky that I could not move that shaft by hand at all. I had to really work those little bushings before I could pull them off and clean the worm gear. No wonder the motor couldn't drive the gears.

So....my only question here is what type of grease do you recommend putting in these gearboxes, and in what quantity?

2. mattboyd

mattboyd Karting

Dec 14, 2003
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    Matt Boyd
    Just to clarify before anyone mis-reads above....it was several years between each time I took the window motors out and cleaned out the gearboxes....:)

3. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I used white lithium, did the overhaul about 12-15 months ago. Have had a similar experience. The driver's window was relatively peppy after I finished the rehab, but it's back to slowwwwly moving. All remnants of the old hard gunk were 100% removed from everywhere, so I've been wondering if it the lithium grease was a poor choice of lubricant. I only lift the windows 5-6 times a year, so for now I'm just letting it stay grumpy.

4. mattboyd

mattboyd Karting

Dec 14, 2003
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    Matt Boyd
    Back on this topic, just wanted to ask maybe if I put too much grease in each time....maybe that's why I've ended up with the gluey mess each time. How much grease do you all put in? I saw a picture of a power lock actuator on another thread and saw that only the worm gear was greased up. Is that all I should lube up here?

What about those little copper bushings that the motor drive pin go through? Those were so gummed up. I was thinking of putting a tiny drop of 3 in 1 oil on that rod where it goes through the bushings, but for all I know that'll interact with the grease over time and mess stuff up.

5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I didn't overload and pack in the grease; just enough to sensibly do the job.