For you private pilots ... a question | FerrariChat

For you private pilots ... a question

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by mikesufka, Jan 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    So I'm more curious than serious, but lately I've been looking at planes with new interest. I have minimal experience with small planes, although I used to fly with my dad when I was younger ( Cessna 172 and then a Piper Cherokee Arrow ) - it was casual - usually within 100 miles or so from the airport in St. Cloud, MN, looking at lakes, colleges, etc ...

Anyway, my question is, what's the natural progression of airplanes wanted by a private pilot ? With money taken out of the equation, is there a natural path ?

I.E.

Cessna 152 / 172 / 182
    Piper / Mooney / Beachcraft Bonanza / Cirrus
    Piper M series / Pilatus
    A Twin ( Baron ? )
    Jet that can be flown by one pilot ( ? )

Just curious if anyone wants to give there thoughts ...

MDS

2. airborne

airborne Karting

Feb 19, 2013
    Northern VA
    It all depends on mission and money.
    It is very natural and common to start training in an entry level Piper, 172, DA40 or SR20. These are economical machines for exploring your real interest and affinity to flying.
    Instrument training can be in these or more complex and powerful aircraft (retracts, turbos, etc)
    After that, it is entirely cost and mission driven.
    With a decade of G1000 birds out there now, the 'progression' norms have changed - from what I see.
    The old norm of progressing through a variety of more complex airframes over a couple thousand hours seems to be waning in favor of quicker advancement into high dollar, high performance aircraft at lower total time hours.
    My last two hangar mates both exemplify this... one went from a T182 to a Citation Mustang. The other went from a 182 to a TBM 930. Both had less than 1000 hours. I sold my DA40 and went to a Meridian then an M600. In all of these cases, the pilot/owner knew what they wanted as a final mission capability and were willing to train and employ mentor pilots.
    I believe the used turboprop market is the game changer. Why would I buy a DA62 for $1M+ when I can get a used G1000 Meridian with a PT6, 6 seats, pressurization and air conditioning for that money?
    In any case, it comes down to money and mission - and what the wife says...

Island Time likes this.
  3. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Because the cost of entry is only a small fraction of the overall cost?

dmark1 and sf_hombre like this.
  4. sf_hombre

sf_hombre Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2008
    Stimulus Bill
    Full Name:
    Don
    We have a winner!

5. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Airborne -

M600 ? That is a bad ass looking plane !!! Any pics please ?? Do you do a lot of flying ? Cross country ?

MDS

6. airborne

airborne Karting

Feb 19, 2013
    Northern VA
    Good answer - but you would be surprised at how close the cost per mile compares between a Meridian and a Mirage.

7. airborne

airborne Karting

Feb 19, 2013
    Northern VA
    The M600 is outstanding for a cross country mission. The new wing - versus the M500 - is a game changer with another 100 gallons of fuel, 1,000 lb load, and 250 Vmo vice 188 on the Meridian. G3000 is impressive, but I was a big fan of the G1000 too. I fly mostly up and down the East coast and out to the islands. Couple trips to CA and Cabo. The extra speed of the TBM would be nice, but acquisition and recurring costs are significantly higher. I would expect Piper to offer up a 300Kt version soon - the engine is loafing along at 600SHP.

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    It really depends on what you want to do. I assume you are asking from a transportation point of view, in which case I think it has been pretty thoroughly answered.

Other people, though, want to do different things. I have a friend with a Cessna 185 that is his dream airplane. He has wheels and amphib floats for it, can go pretty much anywhere, and does. I suppose even he might imagine a Caravan or Kodiak as an upgrade, but my sense is that he rarely wants to take more than his wife and another couple, so the 185 is perfect.

Someone who decides they are really interested in aerobatics might start with a Citabria or Decathlon, move up to a Pitts, and maybe dream about an Extra.

And let's not even get into helicopters!

9. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Step 1: Get your PPL. As you progress through ratings you'll start to see the right path for you. The path I took was not what I thought it would be before I started training. Why? Because I didn't know anything.

10. somi talwar

somi talwar Rookie

Dec 22, 2018
    Full Name:
    somit talwar
    Agree. I got a Cirrus and did my PPL training in it. Thought that it would lead to a Turbo-prop. Never saw reason to upgrade afterwards. Depends on your missions. The path will be revealed.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ersatzS2 likes this.
  11. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    'The path will be revealed' I like that. I started training in 172 because that's what was handy, then shifted to DA40 since I wanted G1000. If I knew then what I know now, I would've bought a plane up front. Biggest headache in training for me was logistics of coordinating my schedule with airplane, CFI, weather. When I started my instrument rating I ran into the same thing, so finally bought a Cirrus. Today in fact...

12. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Congratulations on the Cirrus. I did my IFR and Cirrus training at the same time. I always try to kill 2 birds with one stone. If you're gonna train for a new airplane, you might as well be adding a new rating at the same time.

13. somi talwar

somi talwar Rookie

Dec 22, 2018
    Full Name:
    somit talwar
  14. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    So what ARE you flying now?

15. somi talwar

somi talwar Rookie

Dec 22, 2018
    Full Name:
    somit talwar
    No. For a while, could not find time to get out. So gave up the plane.