360 battery won't charge | FerrariChat

360 battery won't charge

Discussion in '360/430' started by jlclt348, Jan 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jlclt348

jlclt348 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I've always kept this car on a battery tender, because it leaks electricity. However, I forgot to hook it up before a long business trip and now it's completely dead. I hooked up the tender two days ago. It says it's charging and the alarm and stereo LEDs are flashing, but there's nothing else - no interior or dash light lights, no F1 pump and nothing when I turn the ignition. Any ideas? Of course it's parked in the garage, in gear. Thank you!

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Either disconnect the battery and see if you can revive it OR (recommended) get a new battery. Batteries really don't like being taken to zero and these cars don't like weak batteries. At the best case, charging with the system on is a bad idea and worst case it can be catastrophic. Spend the $ on a new battery. Also, it should hold 3-4 weeks so you need to track down the current leak. Start measuring across all fuses and find what is drawing the power.

whatheheck likes this.
  3. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    Tenders are meant to maintain not resurrect a dead battery.

Two choices....
    1. Get new battery
    2. Put old battery on a charger after disconnecting all leads from car

randkin, whatheheck and docf like this.
  4. jlclt348

jlclt348 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Ok, thanks.... rookie question: how do I get into trunk if electronic release is disabled?

5. irix

irix Karting

Aug 28, 2015
    Germany
    Full Name:
    J.B
    You pull the emergency cable. The handle is under the steering column (more on the left if you have a left hand drive car).

Regards,
    Joerg

6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    How old is your battery? If its over 4 years old I say replace it ASAP before it dies on you when least expected. Batteries are cheap.

As other members have mentioned above, battery tenders are designed to maintain a battery. It doesnt have enough power to revive a dead battery. You will need to use a battery charger.

And as others have said, if your battery is constantly getting drained down you need to find the root cause otherwise when you will always have battery issues and our cars ECU's are very sensitive to low voltage and voltage fluctuations. You may experience all sorts of electrical gremlins.

The source of battery drain is usually easy to determine. Most often its aftermarket electrical product addition, and also the overhead light.

7. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    First off, grab a voltmeter and see what kind of voltage your battery has. Depending on your tender, the will not even start charging if your battery is under a certain voltage. I had this happen when I had an Odyssey PC925 installed. Came back after a week long business trip to find the battery was under 6 volts. Had to hook it up to another battery to revive it and then leave it on the tender for a couple days to get it back to 12.7. It was only a few months old but I repalced it with a bigger battery anyway.

whatheheck likes this.
  8. jlclt348

jlclt348 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Thanks, guys! Pulled the battery today and will install a new one this week.

Regarding the warnings about letting the battery run down, and charging while the battery it is connected. These "electrical gremlins" - are we walking permanent damage, or just annoying?

9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Both are possible.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

10. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
  11. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    There are so many posts here about electrical gremlin issues that turns out to be defective battery was the root cause,

From malfunctioning F1 sytems, clutch engagement issues, fault codes being thrown, weird warning lights, etc.

Simply put, Ferrari ECU's are sensitive to low voltage, voltage fluctuations, and I understand over voltage or over current can actually fry / burn out some ECU's that's why Ferrari does not recommend jump starting.

So I make it a habit to ensure my battery is always fully charged either by driving my car regularly or hook it up to battery tender when I'm out on travel.

My experience also shows most batteries only last 4 years max so I replace mine preventively after its 4 years old as nothing is more embarrassing than people coming over to admire your car, then one day when you're ready to leave your car wont start.

And I highly recommend AGM so that you wont have to worry about acid leaking destroying the metal battery tray. Ask me how I know............

12. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Tenders aren’t always great at charging flat batteries, they’re meant for maintaining them.

If the battery goes flat, try to put it on a charger before writing it off.

13. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I change my battery every 4 years period. $100 is cheap. Once a battery gets depleted, they always seem to give me grief.

brookliner7 likes this.
  14. Jeff Pintler

Jeff Pintler Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2005
    Richland
    Full Name:
    Jeff Pintler
    Remember that the newer/smarter chargers/maintainers will not begin charging if the voltage is below something like 11.5 or 12 volts. So you have to connect a charger that has a "supply" setting like the CTEK 7002. After about an hour the battery will charge to the voltage for the smart charger can safely monitor the charge rate. And of course, the cables don't have to be disconnected just switch off the ground at the switch in the trunk.
    And another handy tool is any one of the Bluetooth battery monitors that continually monitor the state of battery charge. I am using the "BM2 Battery Monitor 4.0 Device". It draws 1 ma and will upload to your phone when u r within 15 feet with your phone, about $30. And the app that runs them is free. I have tried about 4 different brands and the CTEK Bluetooth monitor is flakey and yet they make GREAT chargers!?

And of course, I do not own either company or sell either device......

Jeff Pintler
    89 348tb, 86tr, 99 360 3-pedal, 05 S-160 bobcat