Paint chip... argggghhhh... | FerrariChat

Paint chip... argggghhhh...

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by mmoharter, Jan 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mmoharter

mmoharter Rookie

Aug 6, 2017
    Fort Myers, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    I have recently purchased a 2015 California T and I love the car. There is only one mark on the whole exterior and that is a 2 mm paint chip right on the edge of the hood. Since this is truly the only mark on the car I wanted to get the front end covered with Xpel. So, should I fix the chip which I am sure means painting the entire hood or just leave it alone and cover it up? Kinda hate to spray the entire hood not because of the cost but because of blending the color on a four year old car. Thoughts?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    You can fix this much better. The DR Colorchip paint repair, works pretty good. If you will be patient and keep applying layers of paint, maybe 8 -10 applications. Let it dry maybe 30 minutes then gently wipe off the excess, and then reapply. I would give that a try first. Good luck. I would be curious to know how it goes for you.

3. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Agree with above suggestion. If you get it level and then do the clear bra, it should work well to make it virtually disappear.

4. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Once you get the level up to above the surface, just wet sand it flush and polish, it should disappear. There are many people who can do this for you if you are not comfortable. It will be gone.

5. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    There were a number of stone chips on the bumper of my 2003 360 Spider when I was going through the purchase process. I wanted to have Expel Ultimate applied the entire front of the car so my dealer repaired the bumper before delivery. A few days the Expel was applied. It turned out perfect.

Unfortunately, there were two additional small chips on the trunk lid which I did not see and now they are covered with the Expel. While not a major problem I see them each time I detail the car. My advice is as above, get the chip repaired first. If not,you'll have live with the chip. Personally, it would be better to bit the bullet now then keep looking at the chip under the clear protection.

6. mmoharter

mmoharter Rookie

Aug 6, 2017
    Fort Myers, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Thank you to all that have replied. I just ordered up the Dr. Colorchip and will give it a whirl. I figure that even some color will be better than having that white spot staring at me every time I drive it. I will post up pictures of the after.

Thanks again!

7. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    +1

8. 12097

12097 Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2007
    Regina, Canada
    If I could make one suggestion, prior to the application of touch up paint, wipe the area with a good wax and grease remover.

It will help ensure a better bond to the surface.
    (Paint doesn’t bond well to wax, and there’s a pretty good chance you’ve applied wax to the car)

9. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I had a chip on the leading edge of the bonnet on my 458, it probably was half the size of the chip in your pic. I had the dealer install Xpel and their installer fixed the chip prior to the Xpel. Unless I use a bright light and magnifier, I can't tell there ever was a chip. I'd say that you definitely want some type of paint protection after fixing the chip because that edge is so vulnerable. Mine got the chip in the first ~100 miles, and I was always careful about maintaining separation and road surface etc.

10. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Usually marginal lip chips like yous are fairly easy to repair. Your car appears to be silver. As such it is a difficult color to match as are most metallic colors. Dr. Color chip is fairly good , but hasn't solved the problem with metallic's. The metallic doesn't lay right and gives a darker color.Take you time in layering. A good body shop with someone skilled in air brushing should do a much better job. It shouldn't be expensive as the location and size of your defects are small. It will then probably be unnoticeable once the Expel is done. Remember with new paint allow about 6 weeks before wrap as removal in fitting the wrap, or future removal may result in removal of the painted surface. Check with your painter & wrapper for their protocols. Good luck.

daytona355 likes this.
  11. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
  12. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

Buy yourself the correct factory touch up paint along with a Loew Cornell fine line paint pen. The paint pen does extremely fine paint applications and works far better than any brush. Here's a video describing the tool and the process on a vintage Porsche with numerous chips.

docf likes this.
  13. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Interesting !

14. mmoharter

mmoharter Rookie

Aug 6, 2017
    Fort Myers, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Docf - you nailed it. I took the car to a number of shops but most wouldn't touch it. Some said it was too small of a job and others said I would never get the paint to match. In the end I did the Dr. Colorchip with some help from a local shop. The car is Azzurro Blue and the metallic just did not match. The spot is filled and smooth but the color is off. I think it would have been better to fill the spot and airbrush the paint to blend rather than the fill and wipe method.

docf likes this.
  15. mmoharter

mmoharter Rookie

Aug 6, 2017
    Fort Myers, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    LB - This would have been a better process than Dr. Colorchip. Getting the factory color from a dealer or local shop would have matched better than what I got from DC. The metallic in the paint would not mix in well and made the repair look like a blob even though we layered it on. Next time...

16. pjtrade

pjtrade Rookie

Apr 10, 2017
    Question. Once the paint dries from loew pen, do you or would you wet sand and polish out flush. I have a chip on the front lip too that needs to be masked and then a clear bra will go on over it. Suggestions. Thanks in advance. Been losing sleep over this. Just got the car, 1 st drive too.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. pjtrade

pjtrade Rookie

Apr 10, 2017
    Question. Once the paint dries from loew pen, do you or would you wet sand and polish out flush. I have a chip on the front lip too that needs to be masked and then a clear bra will go on over it. Suggestions. Thanks in advance. Been losing sleep over this. Just got the car, 1 st drive too.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

If your careful and apply the dots of paint you will have little to "level". A light polish will usually remove any high spots.