What Is a Reasonable Price Over Sticker To Pay For Pista? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What Is a Reasonable Price Over Sticker To Pay For Pista?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by F355 Fan 82, Jan 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Ok so add this into the mix...I bet Ferrari offered you the TDF because of your ownership history. IE the F40. Owning that car makes you special in the Ferrari world. (as you know)

Fellow F-Chat member I know owns 2-3 perfect 80s Ferraris. I believe 2 were Ferrari Classiche certified. He shows his Ferraris and has won many awards. He attends his dealers events and is an overall truly classy guy. He also had a high spec 488 that he sold back to his dealer.

Ferrari offered him a Pista. The 'rules'...and again, there truly are written formal rules....allowed for someone to be special car eligible for their participation with the brand. Racing, collecting classic cars etc. So there is more than one way to be offered special cars.

The big daddy collectors check all the boxes. They do the racing events, they attend the Ferrari provided F1 parties, they own multiple classic Ferraris (all Classiche). Build personal relationships with Ferrari executives. (attend the FNA events, meet the executives...you will see that the passion for Ferrari is alive and well). Do Tailor Made whenever offered....

We love whatever comes our way from Ferrari.

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i
    ive made an effort to find out about secondary market transaction that have taken place and i'm unable - to me that's telling. (in the USA)

3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    3000 is certainly an assumption, but consistent with the numbers allocated to the dealers compared to the Speciale they sold (this has been discussed here for Europe at least).
    Regarding the conditions to get a Pista, presentations from Ferrari (which were presented at the Pista previews and shared here) mentioned priority based on 488 ownership, and then special series ownership; California / Lusso / F12 / 812 were not mentioned at all in these presentations.
    The way it officially worked in Europe (also discussed here) was that the dealers would send a list of interested customers, and Ferrari HQ would approve or not.
    I was approved for a Pista, and the only modern Ferrari I own is a 488 (my previous Ferrari was a 599 that I did not even buy new, although it was bought from a Ferrari dealer).
    The Lusso / Portofino / whatever things appeared after the Pista was officially unveiled, while Ferrari was at the same time claiming that it was already sold out - which frankly does not make sense, if it was sold out there would be not way one could get one without going second hand.

boobernackle likes this.
  4. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Agreed on the Lusso. Where we live it didn't make for an ideal DD.

5. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Maybe we are saying the same thing. I dont like new stuff just because its new. Very few people have access to unlimited storage so RACE cant have it both ways. If a client is expected to be a long term holder after 10 yes that person has at least 10 cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    I too was curious. I have called and spoken to the selling dealers and wholesalers. There are Pistas selling for the amounts listed here. This isn't surprising.

7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    We are talking to different people then

8. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Or they tell different things depending on who they talk to ;)

09Scuderia likes this.
  9. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Personally I don’t play the game buying a bunch of mediocre cars, pay over at launch, or kiss the butt at the dealer.
    To each their own, doesn’t bother me.
    All can be purchased aftermarket when you feel the price is fair, whatever that is.

10. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    you sir are correct. You still in the hunt for a TDF?

Shadowfax likes this.
  11. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I don't know the stats but this is so unlikely: I'd say most owners on this board have cars that aren't worth $180K let alone able to afford the new car that requires such overs

12. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm talking people who can already afford to buy new/MSRP. If you can afford $450K for a Pista, you likely can afford $630K too IMO. Pistas seem to me like $400-500K, so I'm going to guess the average buyer can easily afford the premium. I don't think many at sinking their life savings into a Pista.

I didn't mean to imply every F430 owner can swing $180K over sticker.

13. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    It’s easy to conflate “afford to pay it” with “willing to pay it”. Those are very different.

ShineKen and 09Scuderia like this.
  14. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    You can pay me $100k over and spec it yourself if you want to pay over that bad...

15. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark

Please post where you read this, I call ********.

The only place I saw the two compared directly was James May stating “the car (Pista) was clearly better and he wished he had taken Ferrari up on an offer to trade. “

Some have stated that Speciale sound is clearly better than the Pista (which, obviously at 9k redline it should be) but by every observable measure the Pista is better.

You seem to enjoy dumping on the Pista with every post you make, why is that? Did you not get an allocation? Do you just hate the 488 and all it’s iterations? Are you mad at the price?

As a Speciale owner I can tell you I’m very impressed with the Pista.. so impressed I ordered one!

Shadowfax, nads and 09Scuderia like this.
  16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Theres nothing wrong with any of the cars. Its the posts that stir insanity. This op is the tenth way to post about the value of a pista. It exhausts everyone so people end up agitated. There is no difference between this thread and the other dozen threads covering the topic of what is a pista worth.

Every model shld have one thread dedicated to value and every time a new person comes to the board and wants to know what a car is worth they shld be pointed to that thread.

17. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    BINGO..

TT, please consider starting a thread (in the right section) about your f40. I am thinking of making that my next big goal car....seems to be the essence of everything that IS Ferrari.

dmark1 likes this.
  18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    There is already a thread on my specific car started by bradan.

There is also a thread for value of f40.

19. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Nobody has mentioned this so I will jump in:

Current market demand for the V12’s is weak (812 included) and in conjunction with very weak regular 488 and Spider demand leaves Ferrarri in a tight spot in terms of achieving overall sales volume.

Essentially they will need to crank out Portofino’s and, to a lessor extent, Pista’s. It would not surprise me if total Pista production exceeded Speciale’s by a healthy margin.

Do the math: possibly 25% higher production at 30% higher cost versus the Speciale does not bode well for value retention. Not that value is everything but since this a value discussion ........

20. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Of course, Mark is right...and of course, the Pista is superior to the older car. In every way that can be measured (and many seem to agree the ways that can't be...feel and appearance)

Ferrari isn't complacent.

I truly think the Pista sounds as good as a OE Speciale. Fact is most of you have not heard both. I have. Most of you have not driven the Speciale and Pista at full beans. I assure you that the differences are nil. Performance (and appearance wise..subjective, I know) the Pista wins. Not even close.

The Speciale was a 458+. It was MOSTLY 458. Again, loved both...owned a 458 so please don't misunderstand.

The Pista is a different car vs the 488. The engine is a true race engine. Lifted from a 488 race car. (Not the case with the 458 Speciale.) All the oily bits on the Pista are unique to the Pista. Get this, the ONLY DOORS AND MIRRORs are shared between the Pista and 488. ALL the other panels on the car are Pista only parts...and they are ALL CF.

The Speciale had unique front and read bumpers....unique rockers I believe.

The Pista has the most parts transferred from their Challange cars in history. The reason it feels like a true race car is that it is very very close to a race car. AND YET, it's not brutal like my (dearly missed) Scuderia...and what I have experienced with Speciales.

The Pista will be remembered as the first of a new breed of super Ferraris.

dmark1, Shadowfax and daflk like this.
  21. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    LOL. Are you serious? Maybe you are...tell me why?

'Super Ferrari's'...

twist-a-grip likes this.
  22. mytoys

mytoys Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2015
    CA
    Full Name:
    mytoys
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    You truly have the Ferrari passion and I enjoy reading your posts. Arguably, the new breeds are the replacement of the 488 reported here to have a V6 turbo+hybrid electric and the BB to have V8 turbo+electric. The 488 Pista more likely be remembered as a high priced unnumbered special version of the 488 GTB. I think it will always be compared to the 458 Speciale as is currently being done. IMO it's also the first nice example of Ferrari in-house design still based on the older PF platform.

New breeds come later and are not related to 488 Pista at least that is what is promised. You also have to be careful describing landmark changes between versions of cars within the same series (488). We will know exactly what's new and what's carry-over when the parts diagrams come out to the public. Certainly Pista performance is being received very well and it is the most capable production V8 mid-engine car from Ferrari. The allocation process, cost and value continue to a bit of a controversy. Best.

24. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    if you feel that way why are you reading let alone posting here?

You must be somewhat interested in a Pista our you wouldn't have wasted time reading all of this dribble...right?

BTW, Ferrari said that there are NO other cars they have produced that had a greater transference of race to road tech. Their words.

I DO agree with you that Ferrari did change how they allocate their 'special' cars. (Lets not over analyze what the word 'special' means.) The new process has CLEARLY left many out in the cold by choice or otherwise.

To hate on the new process is understandable. But, it won't change.

25. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Feel what way? You were commended for your passion and sharing of information. I gave the Pista accolades for both design and performance. I offered a discussion regarding your exuberant statement of Pista heritage and was factually specific why. I am interested in Pista as any Ferrari owner would be. Not sure what your beef is but the site sure would be boring if everyone felt and posted exactly the same content. Personally, I have the Ferrari of my desire so the allocation process is fun and popular to discuss but does not warrant hate. There are thousands of posts regarding it for those you may be addressing. I'm just not one of them. Best.