360 - F1 Indicator Lamp Blinks | FerrariChat

360 F1 Indicator Lamp Blinks

Discussion in '360/430' started by bisel, Jan 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    i expect this has been discussed but haven’t been able to successfully use the search tool to find an answer.

Very occasionally when I shift the F1 paddle up or down the red F1 indicator lamp will illuminate for a fraction of a second. Literally, if you blink you might miss it. It is not accompanied by any audible warning. It blinks once, then stays off. I know that if the pressure drops below a certain threshold, the F1 light will illuminate and an audible warning will accompany this. But in my case, the illumination for split second is not accompanied by an audible sound.

I am thinking that perhaps the internal pressure inside the F1 system drops to a threshold point just at the same instance that a shift was initiated. As the lamp does not remain illuminated, I assume that what happens is that the F1 pump comes on to build pressure back up and the indicator lamp then goes off. I would expect that the F1 pump comes on when pressure drops below a threshold point and turns off when pressure reaches a high threshold point.

I have no other issues with the F1 transmission. It shifts just fine. Fluid level in the reservoir tank is as it should be.

For other 360 owners ... is this something you have seen? Do you believe my hypothesis stated above is correct?

Thanks

Steve

2. Sled Driver

Sled Driver Formula Junior

May 13, 2010
    Stokesdale, NC
    Full Name:
    Emery
    My 99 360 with 55k miles does this occasionally.

I had the dealer do a diagnostic check & System bleed. No fault found.

Due to the age & mileage of my car I had them to replace the F1 pump, accumulator & pressure switch (next to the accumulator). My choice, not their recommendation.

It still does it........

3. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Hi Sled,

Thanks for your reply. I am not concerned about it. My 2004 360 has 40,000 miles and and as you have done, I replaced the F1 pump in 2016. It was taking an excessively long time to build up pressure. I replaced the pump with the Alfa pump ... considerably less costly and is exactly the same pump. Techs did a full bleed and replaced the fluid. Did not replace the accumulator though as my techs did not believe there was a problem with that.

Good to know that you are seeing this same thing ... and like you ... I only see this occasionally. You have put my mind at rest.

Regards,

Steve.

4. 3pedal360

3pedal360 Rookie

Jan 11, 2013
    I’m also having this same hiccup and here is what I’ve noticed. I’ve got a 2004 360 20k miles and I’ve worked on these cars for a while it is a common issue and can also be related to voltage fluctuation and throttle fluctuation. Just like when a car stalls or alternator dies with all the ECUs these have it will throw lights when it feels the voltage isn’t sufficient. I’ve noticed with mine that it’s when I fully let off the gas while shifting and the rpms fall quick that the light blinks. If I keep my rpms steady or climbing while shifting it doesn’t blink at me. I’m glad you posted this it’s good to hear other feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans

Ouch...that sounds expensive...I could see myself doing the exact same thing and reporting the same thing.

However, if they were all original parts, probably wasn't a bad idea to replace those things anyways, now you have peace of mind and should't have to worry about F1 problems for the foreseeable future.

6. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    My take on electrical gremlins like this is to check all the chassis and engine ground points.

7. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Have you tried replacing batteries? Every three years is what I remember to keep the gremlins away.

8. Sled Driver

Sled Driver Formula Junior

May 13, 2010
    Stokesdale, NC
    Full Name:
    Emery
    Batteries, plural?

9. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Obviously auto correct on my phone. :rolleyes:

There’s only one battery.

10. Project JF360

Project JF360 Karting

Oct 29, 2015
    UK/Portugal
    Full Name:
    J0hnF
    I noticed my 1999 360F1 starting to do this as my clutch started to wear out. Coincidence?

11. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Happened to my '03 360 Spider once. I did a fluid change and purge and it went away. It's been about three years now.