Real or fake 250 GTO? | FerrariChat

Real or fake 250 GTO?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by FerRrari, Jan 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I came across this picture, allegedly taken at a Ferrari dealer in LA. The mirrors and side markers don't look right to me but I'm no expert. Is this real or not?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
  3. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Thanks!

4. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    The photo looks squashed to me making the cars look shorter and taller

5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    330 LMB #4381 SA, owned by a L.A. based TV/Movie Producer.

Marcel Massini

6. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    He should remove the cheap and ugly made in China plastic mirrors.

7. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I am still trying to figure out why the 330LMB existed. I don’t think it was destined to be a road car. It was a prototype using an engine displacement of 4.0-liters rather than 3.0. It could have been a last ditch effort to see if the front engine car was more reliable than the new mid-engined works racers.

The engine came out of the lush road car, the 400 Superamerica but was switched to six Webers, and rated at 390hp.

Though it looks like a Lusso body, the chassis is also Superamerica. The wheelbase stayed 98.4 inches (2500mm), but had wider front and rear tracks. The suspension was the double wishbones and coil springs up front, and rigid axle and semielliptic leafs in back.

The styling was a 250GTO from the windscreen forward, but in back was more Lusso, but I don’t know how much more of the body was alloy other than the Lusso doors, bonnet and rear deck lid. The rear fenders had unsightly boxes welded on to pipe air to the brakes and allow for larger tires.

It ran without bumpers as well. Top speed on the Mulsanne straight was close to 190 mph.

Ironically though all the rest of the factory’s race cars were being designed to be mid-engined, this front engine car could run with the mid-engined 250P.

The record shows that four 330 LMBs entered the ’63 24 Hours; but only one survived, finishing fifth overall. That dismal result could have been what made Ferrari decide mid-engined was the way to go.

The car was said to be the pet project of Michael Parkes, a Brit who worked as a Ferrari engineer and race driver. Wikipedia says of Parkes “Parkes worked for the Rootes Group from 1950 to 1962, initially as an apprentice. One of his roles at Rootes was as project engineer in the development of the Hillman Imp.

In 1963 Parkes joined Ferrari as development engineer for their road cars, notably the 330 GTC, and also as a GT sports car driver,” ignoring his role in the 330LMB. There is a book being written about Parkes, let’s hope the 330LMB gets a chapter at least.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You hit it, with displacement!

The 250GTO at this point was being swarmed by the Ford Shelbys, and when the Shelby Coupe arrived, IMO that's what drove Ferrari proceed to rear engine racecars.

I have the Jay Koka print of the 330LMB, I always thought it "almost prettier" than the GTO, and a Texan will never argue, with "more displacement"!!!

9. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I'll have to look up Koka's 330LMB. His work is often on the website of Automotive Fine Arts Society. Here's my own take on the rear view. I agree it's a dramatic car but find the flat rear brake scoop out of character with the rest of the car's sensuous curves.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  11. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    It did not sell at Rick Cole and the same vendor is offering it at Ferrari of Beverly Hills. Perhaps the attempt at a $10 million profit was the reason why it didn't sell, who knows.