TPMS malfunction --- Granturismo | FerrariChat

TPMS malfunction --- Granturismo

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by finnerty, Dec 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Well, I finally got the dreaded "TPMS Malfunction" error message :mad:

Doing a bit of research tells me that the 2 most likely problems are either ---

1) Bad batteries in the tire sensors

2) Failure of the control module (TPMS ECU)

I don't really want to deal ($$$ + time) with it right now either way, so my question is ---

Does anyone know whether the entire system can simply be shut off / disconnected ?
    I'm sure that the ECU can simply be unplugged (pull the multi-pin connector), but will that turn off the error message and icon displays from the instrument panel, or will they still remain lit ?
    Any other options to fully disable ?

2. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Not sure if this is any help but on my S class coupe I had the Merc Dealership simply delete this function via their STAR software---as if the the car did not come with this option.
    Hopefully Maserati can do the same for you!

Regards.

71Satisfaction likes this.
  3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I had that fault in my 2008 and reset the fault with my Launch tool. It did not come back but I sold the car shortly after. You could try getting the fault reset but at some point you probably need new sensors. I'm told battery life is 5 years (my where 10 years old to the best of my knowledge).

And, FWIW - YOU WANT this function. The way the inside wall of the front tires shred, you run the risk of a leak and the monitor will tell you before the tire blows up.

4. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    What the :eek: ?! What causes them to "shred" ---- do they rub up against something ?

BTW, I do not intend to disable permanently......... just for while, probably until this Spring. I have brand new tires on the car and don't plan on running more than a few hundred miles with the system off, so I'm not too worried about the possibility of having a tire problem without detection.

5. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The factory setting for the front is negative toe (toe in). Picture looking down at your feet and each foot is turned inward (toe pointing to toe).

That causes the inner wall to drag down the road and shred. The real danger is that you don't ever see it unless the wheel is cranked all the way to one side. The rest of the tire will look new.

To resolve, have the car aligned and have the front toe set neutral - if you don't, expect 8K miles on the tires.

ernie likes this.
  6. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Are the "right" tires installed? Pirelli P-Zero's with Maserati MGT identification? Other tires than these can influence the sensor signal negative.

7. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Dave: Your premise about the Toe setting causing the tire wear is correct. However, your details are backwards. The factory setting is "negative toe", that is TOE OUT (your toes are pointing AWAY from each other). Toe Out will help a car turn into a corner, hence why Maserati and many other makes (Lexus) use this today. In racing we always say "toe-out equals turn in" and set up the cars with quite a bit of front toe-out to help the car turn, as we don't care about tire life. As an aside, toe-out at the rear is very undesirable, as it will make the car unstable under heavy braking, again why Maserati and others run quite a bit of rear toe-in today. I agree the best setting for "normal" driving for the Maserati's is a small amount of front toe-in and set the rear to the minimum factory toe-in spec.

ernie likes this.
  8. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Absolutely correct - had a dyslexic moment :)

9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Scientists!!!

10. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Huh, never heard that one before.

No, I'm not running the Pirellis (btw, I thought Michelins were the factory tires, at least on the later MY ?), but I'm quite certain that is not the issue.

The sensors worked fine for nearly a year after I had the new (non-OE) tires installed. I suspect it's just an age issue ---- car is an '08 so I have gotten 10 years out of the original sensors (batteries), which is better than anyone else seems to have gotten.

In a few days, I'll take it in to a local shop that says they can "scan" each sensor output to determine if the signal (battery power) is adequate or failing / failed. Hopefully it's just that........ and not the ECU.

Anyone have a good aftermarket source for sensors ? I surely AIN"T paying Maserati $180 a piece for the damn things !

11. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Thanks for the info --- that's actually an appealing option if it's possible. I NEVER use the TPMS data on any of my cars anyway, so I would not miss it one bit !

I'll call up my Maser Dealer and ask them about doing this.

12. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    You are playing with fire removing this function. I've explained it prior. It there for a reason. Who you remove an oil pressure sensor?

13. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    No I'm not, Dave --- and I do heed your advice.

I don't disregard tire condition and pressure ever. I just don't rely on the TPMS function.

Rather, I evaluate them religiously before every drive lasting over a short hop. I just do it the old school way --- close visual inspection and a manual gauge check.

14. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    A few months ago my new 2018 Granturismo came up with TPMS alarm messages, tire pressure to high. But the pressure was ok. In my case the dealer had to recalibrate the TPMS system, now everything is fine. During the fault diagnosis I had a longer conversation with my dealer about the TPMS. He told me that I'm well advised to use always the Pirelli P-Zeros with the Maserati MGT identification (summer and winter tires are available with this identification). They made the experience that other tires with different flank thicknesses can influence the sensor signal negatively (and he has no special commercial preferences to sell Pirelli).

In your case I guess it is an issues related to the old age of the sensor batteries. Had these symptoms in our older Range Rover Sport and in a BMW X5 as well. Not cheap to solve, but safety first.

15. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    +1

16. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Wait. What? ...a dire warning to rely on the TPMS (which had a total recall in 2012) to alert the driver of an impending catastrophic tire failure ...because the driver doesn't know that their tires have gotten worn enough to suffer a TPMS-triggering leak...?

I'm sorry, I don't know you guys, but this sounds - how do I put this? - completely bonkers.

Two rebuttals:
    1.) ..Ask yourself do you rely on your oil pressure sensor to never have to check your engine oil.? The oil press sensor is a failure alert. Likewise, the TPMS warns you of a puncture. Yes, TPMS is useful to monitor your tire pressures, but don't ignore your tires and trust the TPMS for more than punctures.

2.) Relying on the TPMS without also checking what your tires look like, is saying "They hold pressure" is the only criteria you're using to assess your tires' condition. That's not enough.

Visually inspect your car every so often, like every time you check the oil. You already mentioned aggressive inner edge tire wear. Good, because any tire wear that can lead to catastrophic failure is always visible well in advance of a TPMS warning. On the tires, look for the wear markers, or the cords showing through, or baldness. That's it.

Jumping through hoops to rely on a TPMS while ignoring your tires is misplacing your trust.
    Cheers,
    - Art

boralogist likes this.
  17. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Thank God for sane Bora owners!

18. D-Gunz

D-Gunz Rookie

Apr 9, 2013
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    David W.
    How did you reset the tpms failure? I have the launch x431 pro and havent figured it out? Same error code with flashing tpms light. Just installed 4 new beru sensors.

19. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I have the light on my '09 that I recently bought. I just bought 4 new sensors but haven't had them put in yet. It seems the OP had about the same info I've seen in the research I've been doing. I'm going to see if the HUF sensors I bought will read. If not I'm probably just going to ignore it and just keep checking tire pressures regularly. If you do figure it out please post your results.