What Is a Reasonable Price Over Sticker To Pay For Pista? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

What Is a Reasonable Price Over Sticker To Pay For Pista?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by F355 Fan 82, Jan 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark

Well I bought a brand new 488 Spyder which I will trade back at probably 40k loss after 2k miles. That’s it. I have bought several used cars but never lost muchif anything in them because I bought smart (CS, Scud at bottom of market) and sold on open market. So that’s not entirely true what you’re saying here. I DID buy a Speciale new 4 years ago but resold it for MSRP. Ferrari dealer told me that my use of the car and hold time factored into my allocation of the Pista (in other words being driver and not a flipper helped my “standing”).

Ferrari wants people to buy and USE these cars, the whole low mileage thing is a crock of ****,

2. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Interesting real world examples. Now, do many buyers care--maybe, maybe not.

The losses just on a 488 and Lusso could be $200-$250K+ between the two.

Heavy price to pay for entry into a non LE car and interesting secondary (based on your friend) is already down to $100K...which probably means $75.

As they say gotta pay to play. But for those gambling on a flip only vs enjoyment of the car sometimes it may or may not pay off. Hope the buyers buy, drive and enjoy the hell out of the car!

dmark1 likes this.
  3. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    NOW THAT is what I'm talking about! Leave it to Mark to show what a real buyer looks like. BRAVO!

SAFE4NOW and dmark1 like this.
  4. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Knowing your dealer, I'm very surprised Scott would allow such a thing. BUT, on the flip side that is great news that some dealers are willing to give a little. I do like to see the local guys being taken care of first. Hats off to them.

PS - Edit saw where you bought Speciale as well, and the hold time playing a factor. Kudos all around.

5. murcidiablo

murcidiablo Rookie

Feb 28, 2006
    So what's the point of buying something at "msrp" when you're having to purchase "other" vehicles in ordered to be on their list. May as well just save yourself the hassle and pay over msrp for the Pista.

6. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    There is always going to be exceptions and some of it relates to timing.

I had asked about whether there was any truth to whether a person who was offered a coupe and then a spider and had to make a choice between the two (ie., one or the other but can't take both). One person did respond (outside USA) and he said he was offered both.

The reason I asked this is because one person was bumped up to Pista coupe because the person with that allocation was offered a spider and according to him he received the coupe allocation because of a supposed rule that a person had to make a choice (note; the offer was rescinded to him because it seems he wasn't approved outside of the dealer because he had never bought a ferrari before). Second person with long buying history was offered a Pista coupe that was on the ground because the initial owner was also offered a spider and it was a situation of pick one and can't have both. The second person declined because he had to take a lusso along with the Pista coupe sitting on the showroom floor. Both of these events is something that happened in the last two weeks. (he went for the later coupe allocation with a portofino instead).

7. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Because in theory you're at least getting something in exchange. I'd rather have to drive an FF for a year and pay MSRP on a Pista than just pay over on a Pista, assuming the overall costs were the same.

Something is always better than nothing.

SAFE4NOW and johnr265 like this.
  8. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Hmm, I think the Speciale engine is more unique than what you seem to be communicating above.

I refer you back to this post:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/speciale-market.568090/page-4#post-145824763

And regarding the sound, the Pista tops out at most 8K rev, so, the sound cannot be the same (as 9K of the Speciale) plus the Pista engine displacement is about 11% less than the Speciale (4.497 L to 3.9 L) so that also makes a difference. It might be a matter of subjective preference...

https://488pista.ferrari.com/en-US/technical-specifications/performance

dustman likes this.
  9. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    I’ve made the same choice :)

09Scuderia likes this.
  10. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
  11. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
  12. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Interesting, we’ve circled some similar cars. I’ve toyed with the idea of an 05 FGT, hear it is a similar drive experience as the CGT.
    I, myself, traded the Perf for the Speciale, very polarizing driving experiences.
    I agree that the Speciale is similar to the 16M driving experience though everything is on steroids in the Speciale...although I love the rawness of the Scud, bang in the F1 shifts is Godly.
    It will be interesting to hear about the reviews comparing a Scud to Speciale to Pista.

Sent from my 16M

13. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Have you actually been proposed a Pista for £251K in the UK?
    The reason I ask is because the actual situation in France is this:
    - initial pricing figures for the Pista (and STILL what you read in magazines) were €292K, very similar to the £251K you quote
    - ACTUAL pricing is €317K with the mandatory carbon pack (the carbon parts initially reported as free of charge, but which ended up mandatory and priced)
    This €317K is presented by the dealers as the list price, potential options to increase price in order to secure an allocation are on top of that.
    The current 488 GTB base price is currently €226K, so the real base price difference is more than 40%.
    Then you add the stripe and a few options (that you would not need on a GTB) and you end up at more than 50% - to get 50 hp more... and that feeling of being someone special maybe.
    In comparison the 488 GTB cost me about 5% more than the outgoing 458 Italia, for 100 hp more; that's the kind of bargain that made me too demanding :)

14. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    the new process is what it is but it did not prevent me as the owner of Speciale to be able to get a Pista allocation
    if you follow your reasoning a Nissan GTR offers a much better power-price
    conclusion: a comparison GTB-Pista has no sense
    I was not interested by GTB after trying it but I ordered a Pista!

15. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The Nissan GTR is a little bit too heavy...
    Congrats for your Pista ;)

458-Italia likes this.
  16. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    Delivery : March or April 2019 ;)

09Scuderia likes this.
  17. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    not to mention ugly

LARRYH likes this.
  18. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    When considering all the losses those persons realized in advance of the Pista allocation, it’s worth noting all the value they received too. Those line-ups of cars prior to the allocation range from incredible to extraordinary and no doubt the ownership experience and miles driven therein would likely balance much or most of the losses. At least for me. Plenty of people buy and lose money on cars without participating in any offsetting event (however large or nominal it might be) like a Pista.

Bundy, Lukeylikey, 09Scuderia and 2 others like this.
  19. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Are those really ‘losses’? Expensive cars cost money to own and that is just normal. The 430’s are nearly 15 years old. That means around $25k pa to drive a succession of lovely Ferraris. A Range Rover costs more than that. Then you get to buy a Pista that might give you a cheaper couple of years. What’s not to like?

BaronM69 and twist-a-grip like this.
  20. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    #145 Lukeylikey, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    It is just too complicated to go back to the price lists of the day and choose a common spec that includes carbon and other bits as most cars have been spec’d (I have done plenty of JATO comparisons over the years where you spec adjust cars and assume a value for the specification but it is never satisfactory). The simplest and most sensible approach is just to take the published list price and compare that, which I did. Adding stripes etc. is irrelevant because that applies to all the track cars. The point of the exercise is to look at how much of an increase each successive track special was over its standard counterpart.

21. YellowbirdRS

YellowbirdRS Formula 3

Nov 9, 2005
    DFW/RGV/MX
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    Here in Mexico is illegal to charge any overprice. I think US customers are playing a nonsense game paying over tag and giving millions to the dealers. If they don’t sell the cars they will honor the factory price.

22. BG23

BG23 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2015
    Australia
    In Australia a base 488 without the final on road state taxes is $470k and a pista is $597k.

However with a pista (in Aus) you get a full carbon interior, carbon steering wheel with shift led's and driving zone, carbon racing seats, carbon diffuser, cabon engine cover, carbon front spoiler, carbon door sill, carbon side splitters, titanium exhaust, shields, adaptive lights, forged alloys and alcantara in included options. What's a base 488 with these options? $594k

Of course a pista has quite alot more included - and these would all be pretty big $$ items. The 50hp is not from a tune, but a bunch of expensive hardware upgrades. It also has many carbon fibre panels and an inconel exhaust to name a few.

Arguably the pista is the value conscious buyer's choice!

daflk likes this.
  23. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I dont know about australia but if you did carbon everything plus the other interior options in a 488, I figure for the GTB you would be in the 350k-360k msrp without doing any tailor made stuff. My MSRP was 329k I think and I have most everything carbon in the car. but there are some crazy upgrades that can push the price up even further.

Pistas msrp are coming in the low to mid 400ks it appears with the average around 430k range. This is US market obviously as Im not familiar with the Australian market.

24. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Understood, but my point was that in the case of France the "published" list price (€292K) is erroneous, the actual list price being €317K (without any chosen option).
    And I still believe it's too much for what it is; this is an opinion and as such it's of course debatable - some are happy to spend that money for a Pista, but at this price point I prefer to spend my money differently (keeping the GTB, this has opened me new possibilities ;) )

Lukeylikey likes this.
  25. Fixer03

Fixer03 Karting

Nov 1, 2015
    I have a 488 Spider with options £275k 2018 car, my Pista is mostly fully loaded, carbon everything except wheels in RC and came out at £295k.

I dont understand why people say the price hike is massive over 488GTB Spider it really isn't.