USAF Stealth Jet Caught On Camera Performing "Restricted" Combat Maneuvers | FerrariChat

USAF Stealth Jet Caught On Camera Performing "Restricted" Combat Maneuvers

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by NYC Fred, Jan 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    "In this clip, Capt. Andrew “Dojo” Olson approaches from the left, executes a pitch-up to the vertical with the first corner of a square loop to the inverted. Then it gets really good.
    Capt. Olson pulls back hard on the sidestick while inverted, backing off power and executing a quite tight loop. Once back to level flight the F-35A begins a descending flat spiral at almost zero forward airspeed.
    There is about one full 360° flat spin as Dojo repositions to exit show right," The Aviationsist said.

To a non pilot like me, incredible.
    YMMV.

https://theaviationist.com/2019/01/12/instagram-videos-of-usaf-f-35-demo-team-practice-leaks-some-new-maneuvers/

Cigarzman likes this.
  2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    very cool!

3. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    less than 10 years ago wife and I go to a air show in Vegas. Not sure if it was a F22 or F35 that we watched perform stuff that was well beyond what that video shows. I will never forget how incredible that performance was....so to say that these were restricted maneuvers. BS.

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    It was an F22 that you saw.

The beginning of the F35's maneuver with the vertical climb and then leveling out looks pretty much the same as the Raptor demo intro, but changes up a bit after. Both are pretty awesome.

5. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    thanks for clarifying. When trying to describe what we saw that jet do I literally run out of words. It was unreal. The plane went straight up at some insane speed....stopped midair and then the pilot had the plan with the nose complete vertical go horizontal. As in the plane pointing UP appears to be flying sideways. I don't know how to describe it. Made me proud to be an American.

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    With 43,000 lbst and a light gross weight, you can do a bunch of wild stuff with no danger. All the demo shows are heavily vetted to be as safe and outrageous looking as possible. Hopefully the STOVL version the Marines have will be able to do even wilder stuff in shows.

jcurry likes this.
  7. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    I hope everyone reading this goes to an air show where an f22 is doing it thing. Your perspective on what is cool will never be the same...not to mention your appreciation for what man is capable of. Just extraordinary,

Wade and David_S like this.
  8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The 2D nozzle on the F-22A really helps in show maneuvers.

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Having worked on the F-22 program at L.M., I try to see the demo as often as I can, but so far that has only been twice. I wish they trailed smoke during the routine, because at times it is hard to make out exactly what the airplane is doing without it, especially against a cloudless sky.

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jim- Have not gotten to see that F-22A demo yet, even though I was very early on the AFOTEC test team. Writing F-111 tech manuals at GD (now L-M), did get to see the factory test pilot demo on a very early F-16A. Could not believe you could do that with an airplane. That one did not weigh very much.

11. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    I took friends who had no interest in aviation with me to an air show specifically because I knew the F-22 was performing. After they watched the performance they were slack jawed for an hour! One friend said "I completely understand why people think they see UFOs having seen that show." Some of the moves that plane performs defy logic. The plane, and demo, are truly something else.

09Scuderia and Wade like this.
  12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I guarantee you will like the F-22 demo, when you can catch up with it. The current pilot's call sign is "Loco", which ought to say something! Here's the 2019 schedule:

https://www.acc.af.mil/Units/Aerial-Events/F-22A-Demonstration-Team/F-22-Demo-schedule/

And to give the F-35 equal time:

https://www.luke.af.mil/Portals/58/Documents/2019%20Schedule.jpg

13. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    I saw the demo several times with "Zeke" and it was awesome - and you could tell the man loved his job! One day he was looking right at me as he turned to taxi in from the landing so I threw him a thumbs up and he started literally dancing in his seat pumping his fists in the air. I guess getting to throw around a $150 million aircraft capable of moves that defy physics and gravity will do that to a guy. Lol. Another time he was so eager to perform for the crowd in Atlantic City that when his aircraft showed the equivalent of a check engine light on his way in he wanted to go back to Langley jump in another aircraft and come right back. Unfortunately the closely-timed show didn't permit it.

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Whhaaaaaa???!?! You of all people I would have guessed saw the Raptor demo before any of us lol!

I will be at the Tucson demo (Davis-Monthan) in March. You should drive over from NM. Thunderbirds I read will be performing, which I prefer over the blue angels. The AZ ANG are always flying over my place out here. I love the sound of freedom. :)