Buying my first Ferrari 458 Spider in EU...Advice appreciated. | FerrariChat

Buying my first Ferrari 458 Spider in EU...Advice appreciated.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Shahaf, Jan 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shahaf

Shahaf Rookie

Jan 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Shahaf Galil
    Hello!

I have been doing my own personal rallies across Europe for two years now with rented Ferrari’s and decided it’s time to get my own, from 3-8 days with 14-18 hours of driving I will be able to pace more gentle and create more beautiful trips.

Can anyone share advice about buying cars in Europe? Negotiating, Hunting Making sure it’s in good shape?

I am looking for 458 as I love the sound she makes being atmospheric, would love to find one under 20k km, lift/cameras are important but colors are secondary... is there anything else I must have?

So far I have learned:

Hunting:
    Can be done in Mobile.de or AutoScout24

Testing:
    Take it to a dealer to do a 200 point check

Any advice will be amazing, thank you for taking the time to read my post!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    In Europe there is insurance which can be very difficult for non-residents - for other buying hints look in the 458 section - similarly there is a Europe section for more specific local advice

Shahaf likes this.
  3. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Excellent idea..... I have a few insurance company contacts (it’s what I do) so I can help you get the right contacts when you buy, and if you need to store the car short or longer term, I have space in my garage which you can use if you like. I have guard dogs, secure perimeters, a bloody great shotgun, and my dead eyes makes the blood run cold in criminal types according to the missus, so my cars have always been safe as houses here!

Attached Files:

DefunctNeurons and Shahaf like this.
  4. Shahaf

Shahaf Rookie

Jan 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Shahaf Galil
    Thank you!

Hahaha, can be amazing to have two in the garage! How do you like yours? Did you buy it new?

5. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I bought the 458 a year old, fantastic car... the Mercedes C63 was a daily driver, swap them a bit too regularly though, and my lasting memory was of the rear tyres only giving me 2000 miles a set!

I’ve been ill for a while, so can’t really cope with the strain on stomach muscles required to enjoy the Ferrari, so sold her and picked up a Bentley Speed GTC just for a sunny day when I’m up to it, but I’ll be back in a Ferrari soon!

6. Shahaf

Shahaf Rookie

Jan 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Shahaf Galil
    Looks like the UK has many cars for sale relative to the EU, options and colors are also much nicer, I’m sure that when the time comes you will have an amazing one!

Hope it will be before spring!

daytona355 likes this.
  7. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Absolutely! I’ve replied to your PM, and happy to help any way I can

Shahaf likes this.
  8. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    You could buy a LHD 458 in the UK, taking advantage of the triple whammy of LHD UK discount, exchange rates, and Brexit market stasis. You don't ask about selling, but if you bought from a reputable UK dealer, you might be able to sell it to a dealer in (continental) Europe afterwards, or back to the UK.

The UK insurance market is pretty liberal, so you should find someone to insure you for a short period, on a UK registered car, for the continent.

Make sure it's a Euro-spec car, whatever you buy, and not an import from Japan, US, or Gulf (Japan is RHD but they like LHD Ferraris also), unless the price is really low.

Shahaf likes this.
  9. Shahaf

Shahaf Rookie

Jan 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Shahaf Galil
    Thank oh so much for the advice!

I tried using autotrader.uk and all I come up with is beautiful cars (good color matches and top spec) with RHD.

Do you have tips on hunting LHD online?

10. Shahaf

Shahaf Rookie

Jan 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Shahaf Galil

So no 458 Spider LHD, however theres this one....

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/ferrari/488-spider/ferrari-488-spider-lhd-novitec-upgrade/8884789

205k EUR, I wonder if I can just disconnect the turbo and make it sound like a 458... what a beast at what a price...

11. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Any help UK side, let me know; although I see Sid has already responded and he knows way more than me. (pistonheads and autotrdaer.co.uk are your search tools of choice)

I think the Ferrari Centre have a left hooker in at the moment. Trustworthy dealer and one of the guys on here bought his 348 from them and had it shipped back to the US with a good service.

If you spot anything and want to know what the dealer is like, somebody to have an initial gander let us know. Do ask as like everywhere there are a few dealers you wouldn't touch with a barge pole!

Same with insurance and PPI.

Good luck in your search. (EU side, I think there are some good reviews on a couple of main dealers german/swiss worth searching about on here)

12. Shahaf

Shahaf Rookie

Jan 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Shahaf Galil
    Thank you so much! You guys are amazing.

Seems like most inventory UK side is super nicely spec’d... I have gained a new appreciation to British taste in cars... now the hunting begins.

13. NoSpeedLimit

NoSpeedLimit Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    Did you also check www.autoscout24.ch - the Swiss site?
    While on mobile.de I found 3000 offers, the Swiss site alone has 900! (Switzerland: 8m inhabitants, Germany+France+Italy+Belgium+Netherlands approx. 240m).
    Switzerland is Ferrari-land!