Visiting London 2-8/13-2019 daughter 16th birthday | FerrariChat

Visiting London 2-8/13-2019 daughter 16th birthday

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by E60 M5, Feb 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Just like the title says, we are taking our daughter over for her "sweet" 16th birthday. She loves Queen Victoria and all the history, so we have those sites planned out.
    Mostly interested to hear the best food or food places you cant miss. Also, any off the path interesting this to see.
    We are staying at the Park International hotel, close to everything downtown.

We are seeing Phantom of the Opera at Her Majesty's Theater, one of her favs!

You can also comment on this thread in Silver area:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/london-or-paris-trip-for-daughters-16th-birthday.591501/

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    The best lunch I've had for many a year is at Core https://www.corebyclaresmyth.com/ - unmissable - but the dates quoted did not make sense: you may struggle for a reservation if its short notice

Your other thread is inaccessible to many of us.......

Are you going to Osborne / Isle of Wight ?

3. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert

We are going February 8-13th 2019. We are staying in the Kensington area at the Park International Hotel across from the Victoria &Albert Musuem.

4. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    You seem to be slim on responses!!!

I'd help but London is not my thing at all. For local restaurants etc, the concierge will know best!

For Queen Vic; Osborne House on the Isle Of Wight is a good idea. They use to rent out the old Cricket Pavilion as a cottage; not sure if they still do. That was cool as in the evening you had the run of the grounds. You could day trip it from London, but you would need to get taxi's arranged/booked etc. (I can give more details if you like.)

Bath is a nice; and again could be done for a day out. I know a great Italian restaurant there!

About as much help; which isn't much. But I do hope you guys have a great trip!

E60 M5 likes this.
  5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Ognisko is round the corner from the hotel: Polish - very good

I'm told Stein's nearby does a good lunch (German) and the best ice cream is at Oddono's

Cafe Murano is close to Her Majesty's Theatre and has an excellent pre-theatre menu

E60 M5 likes this.
  6. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Thanks for the responses guys!!

We booked the Hawksmoor Air Street location for pre-theater dining. Looks good, came on suggestion from the "Silver" thread.

7. Rene

Rene Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    René
    If you're staying opposite the Victoria & Albert Museum, check it out. It has varied collections and your daughter might fine one or two rooms there to her liking. Though not Victorian, a new exhibition has just opened there of fashion designer Christian Dior.

As she likes Queen Victoria, Kensington Palace is a must, though I expect you've got that planned. As well as other monarchs' formal wear, it has a good collection of Queen Victoria's clothing on display. This palace is where Meghan and Harry live, though you probably won't glimpse them . Also in Kensington is the Leighton House Museum, a High Victorian mansion built by and for Lord Leighton, who was the most successful 19th century artist. His home is fascinating and little visited. It is quintessentially Victorian in taste, with some imaginative touches of Leighton's own.

For food, I'd recommedt The Wolseley in Piccadilly. Stylish and there's a chance you'd spot a celebrity; or book tea at Claridge's for an elegant afternoon.

E60 M5 and Daytonafan like this.
  8. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Thanks for all the suggestions gang!!

Its gonna be a great trip!!! Looking forward to all the museums, food and shows!!

9. Y not

Y not Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Full Name:
    G2
    Hope you are enjoying the trip. For something quintessentially English, ask the concierge to book here.. https://www.fortnumandmason.com/restaurants/afternoon-tea

The Diamond Jubilee Tea Salon is a window into a bygone age. I’ve used it with lots of American clients and it’s always a hit.

E60 M5 likes this.