General questions regarding watch purchase | FerrariChat

General questions regarding watch purchase

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by DanD., Feb 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DanD.

DanD. Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 16, 2015
    Chicago, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Hello, I am about the proceed with a watch purchase with a seller I’ve found on a prominent watch forum. The seller seems to be legit, however I’ve never done this type of transaction (it’s a significant amount of money). The seller is active on the forum and has a few positive references. I’m going to be wiring him the money. Is there any potential pre cautions I should take to prevent a potential scam? One thing the seller noted is that before he sends out the watch, he will need 2 business days to confirm the wire receipt (seems a little long to me?). Thank you for any responses.

2. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    What's the amount for? Might be worth doing it through PayPal for a 3% fee.

3. DanD.

DanD. Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 16, 2015
    Chicago, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Dan
    It’s for 17k, so I would prefer to avoid the fee.

4. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

You could also consider Amex , unless it’s an individual selling. Best, Kirk.

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Use your Amex or Paypal. Have the guy take the haircut.

6. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Being an avid watch collector do your homework and buy the seller
    If you need further advice just pm me
    Ron

Greg34 likes this.
  7. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    I've bought a few this way with no issues. Canuck550 is right. Research the seller and don't be afraid to reach out to the community for references.

8. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    That's a lot to risk! Paypal, and at worst split the difference with the seller.

9. DanD.

DanD. Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 16, 2015
    Chicago, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Thank you guys for the replies. The deal fell through, but when I find another watch I’ll make sure to use PayPal.

10. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    You may have issues with having a seller accept paypal, I do not, too many buyer scams, as mentioned earlier buy the seller and be cautious

DanD. and JJ like this.
  11. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I don’t accept PayPal when selling a watch. No way, no how. Bank wire or no sale.

George Vosburgh likes this.
  12. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    No legit seller is going to take PayPal. Too easy for the buyer to reverse charges. It will be for wire transfer only. Ive bought and sold 6 figures of watches on watch forums and like others have said you are buying the seller, not the watch. Get references, call them and try to see the history of the seller. Often times its a non issue.

But as far as paying with CC or PayPal, no one is going to accept that as a form of payment. They take a 3% hit and can easily get scammed. Wire transfer only.

dstacy likes this.
  13. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Not true. I take PayPal all the time. Just like how a buyer shops the seller, I shop the buyers too. It is a risk I have to take but it's generally worth it.

tifoso2728 likes this.
  14. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    If paypal tends to favor the buyer, why does craigslist include seller asking for payment via paypal among the reasons to "flag" an ad for deletion?

15. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    What do you have against PayPal? Serious question . . . Thanks.

16. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    thats fine - you are spending time researching the buyer. Most people ive dealt with (virtually all) online refuse to take PayPal. If you are taking it, I stand corrected but it has not been my experience in buying and selling. Ive sold watches and will only do wire transfer. Its the only thing that is bbulletproof from scammers.

17. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Its easier for the buyer to reverse charges with PayPal and the seller is out the funds and the product. Wire transfer, once it hits, its irreversible.

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  18. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The answer below sums it up perfectly.
    You’re welcome. :)

Yep, just too many scammers out there using PayPal and stolen credit cards or the dreaded “he sent me an empty box” scam which results in PayPal ruling for the buyer 100% of the time.

19. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Most dealers in the business take it because most customers won't wire, just the way the industry is. It goes both ways but many people are worried about PayPal and rightfully so.

SoCal to az likes this.
  20. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The best way to buy is via an escrow service. No one can vouch for another person without assuming personal liability. You do not want to assume personal liability for the seller.

PayPal is an escrow service and Chrono24 is another. You can also buy from respected sellers who advertise on well-respected watch forums depending on the seller's relationship with the forum and how they represented the watch they were selling.

Aside from actually getting the watch, you must also get an accurate appraisal from the seller regarding the CONDITION OF THE WATCH. Anyone can say a watch is "MINT" but this word is open to various interpretation, always against you. Any watch that is not new and unworn needs to be graded in a way that can be verified. The best way to grade is to mutually agree to use a well-respected grading system that the seller can be censured for if he misrepresents a watch he is selling or a watch he wants to buy from you. Do not buy or sell anything that cannot be properly graded and backed up.

I once bought a rare watch for my girlfriend from a well-known collector and seller on a well-known watch forum. When I got the watch I found wear on the watch that was inconsistent with the grading he assessed. He refused to compensate me. However, the grading system he used was provided by the forum organizers so I complained to the forum organizers. They looked into my complaint and got the seller to address the inconsistency - I got a fair price reduction and the whole process was promptly dealt with in a civil manner.

There was another time I bought a limited edition watch from a seller using an escrow service. The watch I got was not what was shown in the seller's advertisement. The colour of the strap was very different and the correct strap could no longer be obtained. The unique strap was a very important feature of that rare watch. The seller refused to return my money but I complained to the escrow service and they agreed with me and fully refunded me.

While it's nice to buy from good people, you can only contemplate that after many happy transactions and it is still an act of faith, which is never advisable even between friends, because you can easily disagree on an issue and end up destroying the friendship.

LightGuy and SoCal to az like this.
  21. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    For me its simple I hold the cards, with 20+ years of ref in the hobby, oh and the watch!
    If the buyer doesn't like my terms, they can walk, I will sell to someone else.
    Wire or even FTF at a few AD's I know, those are the terms
    There are all sorts of scams from paypal, trade and even escrow scams
    Too many sharks

George Vosburgh and SoCal to az like this.
  22. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    #22 darth550, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Always best to deal with an A/D, then someone either you, or someone close to you knows and trusts from prior biz or someone with a known reputation they wouldn't want tarnished. Ebay also favors buyers.

Going ultra cheap and bottom feeding doesn't always pay off, same as F Cars.

Goes both ways, my wife gets people in all the time trying to buy AP's with stolen credit cards or CC scammers. Someone tried with a 70K watch just last week.

23. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think it also depends on the level of people you're dealing with. I recently sold a Rolex to a fellow fchat member. When he sent me a PM he brought it up no question, he said he'd take it and in the same PM asked for my bank's wire info.

Ak Jim likes this.
  24. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    DavidSW, one of the most prominent and legitimate sellers of luxury Swiss watches, happily takes Paypal. I know from experience.

25. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Thank you for stating this, I'm in the process of selling a valuable instrument and, aside from also looking for a watch, I felt that I really wanted the money wired. Just like buying a used Fcar.