430 - GruppeM carbon airbox | FerrariChat

430 GruppeM carbon airbox

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ralph P, Feb 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ralph P

Ralph P Rookie

Aug 10, 2018
    London, United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Ralph Payne
  2. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    By the looks of it that airbox would flow less than the original one.

Appears the inlet is just a flat face with no bellmouth which is not good for flow. (unless there are included pieces for that not in the photo)

3. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Novitec seems to be the only F430 airbox with a bellmouth. Not sure if they are still available though.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    1990's revisited and never worked then ?

5. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    The GruppeM boxes did work for the 355. Gained mid-range power but lost a little on the top end. Someone did a slight modification with a bell mouth behind the filter and gained more top end than stock. We're talking about maybe 15-25 hp overall gain. There's a thread on it somewhere in the 355 section.

6. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    I have one on my 360

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    Makes a sucking noise when i hit the gas now lol the box is larger

8. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    True but to me that's a fail because when I'm going for max acceleration the tach doesn't drop much below 7k. :)

Dave rocks likes this.
  9. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

When you drive how often do you do that? I would prefer more midrange where you do 90% 0f your driving.

10. Ralph P

Ralph P Rookie

Aug 10, 2018
    London, United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Ralph Payne
    Thanks for the input. Long shot but anyone done a dyno session with one?

I managed to find one slightly better photo:

[​IMG]

Regarding the point that there a flat face which interrupts flow, I believe the K&N conical filters are mounted on the back of that plate.

11. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    I am attaching some pics to compare to a factory box Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
  13. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    i've always been curious on why they put a secondary opening on the right side of the airbox that feeds hot engine bay air when the original design only had 1 opening on the left.

14. Ralph P

Ralph P Rookie

Aug 10, 2018
    London, United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Ralph Payne
    @02360spider

Many thanks for those pics. How much louder is the intake noise on your 360? Any difference in performance please?

15. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    Performance no clue honestly i did a tcu with cs software and smart f1 relay at the same time so the car is different all together.the intake noise you can hear a difference definitely improved.i want to do a challenge intake duct also thats next.

16. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
  17. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    There is a really good volume of standing air in the F430 airbox so my gut feel is you're not going to see much gain. Given where you are with yours, Ralph, I would spend the money on sport cats, carbon airbox lids, then a DMS remap.

TheCook likes this.
  18. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #19 freshmeat, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    I have had the GruppeM intake in my Scud for 7 years now.

Love the enhanced intake air suction noise from inside the cabin, love the performance gains, love the integrated heat shield which minimizes heat soak, love the venturi “ram-type” intake design which is much more efficient than oem. Also, be sure to get a tune to take full advantage of the increased volume and velocity of air flow...I did a full retune after doing this mod together w a full header to catback exhaust upgrade.

Tbh the oem airbox is utter bull crap...heat soak alone from the muffler is INSANE and sucking in cooked air accounts for the biggest loss in performance.

Cheaper approach I guess could be to simply wrap the base of the oem box w heat-repellant gold foil.

19. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Me too! I figured it was to draw in some warm air to help warm up the engine in colder environments but just a guess.

20. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    If I wanted more midrange I would have kept my c6z.

If I’m intending to accelerate quickly I drop gears and shift just under the limiter. Would never personally sacrifice any high rpm power for increased midrange on this car.

21. Ralph P

Ralph P Rookie

Aug 10, 2018
    London, United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Ralph Payne
    That's quite an endorsement. Thanks for the review.

How are your performance gains over stock? Your mods sound very similar to my plans, albeit on a standard 430.

22. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #23 freshmeat, Feb 3, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    On the pessimistic side I gained 19hp, on the optimistic side 29hp, somewhere in-between 24hp.

Tbh I did my mods for more frivolous ambitions: achieve the perfect high-pitched F1 shrill and preserve the shine on my carbon engine bay panels.

The performance gains were just a bonus for me. The capristo header and cat blankets coupled w the integrated heat shield from the gruppem airbox really help direct hot air towards the rear and out of the car thus dramatically helping keep the engine bay temps down which in turn keep my carbon panels shiny :)

In case you were not aware, the clearcoat resin on the oem carbon in the scud engine bay is susceptible to hazing/yellowing from heat+uv.

7 years on, my carbon is still shiny. The F1 shrill hasn’t gotten old. My downshift canon booms and fireballs scares the crap out of all Prius owners, so yeah, you can say I’ve been pretty happy with the upgrades.

Oh also forgot to mention, the carbon gruppem airbox is 40% lighter than oem (if memory serves me right). Save a few here, save a few there from headers+cats+xpipe and things add up rather nicely.

tifosi101 and 02360spider like this.
  23. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    This is a guess or you ran it on a dyno?

24. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    ran on a dyno. 3 pulls total and that was the range we saw.