Child seat in 458 | FerrariChat

Child seat in 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ash Patel, Jan 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Anyone have recommendation of child seats (from 0 year) that can fit to the size Large bucket/carbon fibre seats in the 458? Do they have iso fix?

Also any recommendation of a stroller that folded down fits in the front trunk of the car? I think many fits as the front trunk is very big, but want to make sure before I buy, so if anyone has first hand experience with this as well it's very much appreciated if you could steer me in the right direction :)

I also heard that disabling the passenger airbag needs mechanics work. My tech told me he will remove the passenger airbag completely just to make sure

Sorry for these questions but my car is tucked away at the moment and won't see the daylight until early May when the baby has arrived.

2. Euroryno

Euroryno Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Hi, I’ve checked the large racing seat in my Speciale (same or very similar in an Italia from first impressions) and there is no isofix point unfortunately. Post a photo when you finally get it set up - I will follow suit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ash Patel likes this.
  3. fdupasquier

fdupasquier Rookie

Aug 17, 2017
    I believe most 458 have BabySmart technology installed in the seats. Mercedes sells baby car seats with the chip that works with BabySmart and automatically disable the passenger airbag when the car seat is installed. I personally bought the chip from eBay which is being sold around $130/$150 instead of trying to find a car seat with the chip which will cost $500/$700. The chip works perfectly for me and disables the passenger airbags when I leave it on the passenger seat. The indicator on the dashboard also confirms the airbag being disable.

Check this link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/mercedes-transponder

Ash Patel likes this.
  4. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks for the info really appreciated.

My dealer told me that I can't trust Ferrari system even if the airbag shows as disabled, not sure if he is right, just don't want to risk anything with a baby in the car....

5. PRO SYSTEMS

PRO SYSTEMS Karting

Mar 4, 2017
    Miami, FL
    The Porsche Junior Plus seat is literal perfection for that seat. I have the same seats and a tall four year old.. It uses the regular seat belt, so its easy in and out.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ash Patel and Oz-ATL like this.
  6. phatteus

phatteus Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2007
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Mercedes made the system in the 458 that deactivates the airbags when a baby seat with a transponder is installed (called BabySmart). As you put the car seat down, on the 458 overhead display you will see an indicator that the airbag has been deactivated. So what I did was just find a used Mercedes kid seat on eBay and bought that. But you can also buy just the transponder (or buy a seat and rip the transponders out) and then use it with your own seat of choice. Here's a thread on some Merc forums about this:
    https://www.slkworld.com/where-get-r170-slk-items/222833-babysmart-car-seat-transponders.html

Enjoy!

7. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I have such a Mercedes deactivator that works fine in the MB. Works fine and payed €100 for it.

Comes out of a MB seat and consists of 2 sensors … one for left and one for right side orientation.

But the same device does not work in the 458. Pitty ….

8. C4sxm5

C4sxm5 Rookie

Oct 26, 2011
    How does that seat secure to the car seat? With latches or the car seat belt?

9. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    thanks for all the advices. I guess there is more or less no option the to have the kid in the car from 0 years but rather later when they don't need to sit backwards?

10. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    #10 jim g, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    So does a Mercedes car seat work or not? I just bought one on ebay. My son is front facing, Melvok says it doesn't work and fdupasquier says it does. My cars have racing seats.

11. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    it seems like front facing will work but the other way around probably not (which is what I need from day 0 when the kid is born at least first 2 years), how old is your kid?

12. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yes the MB babysmart booster def works...used it my my ff and 458

search for my name in FF/458 forums

Ash Patel likes this.
  13. PRO SYSTEMS

PRO SYSTEMS Karting

Mar 4, 2017
    Miami, FL
    Q: How does that seat secure to the car seat? With latches or the car seat belt?

A: On the Porsche Junior Plus, it just uses JUST the seatbelt to solidly hold everything in place, kid and seat. It works very well.

14. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    You mean front facing right, I'll send you a PM

15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #15 Melvok, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    Tell us if it works please !

(Mine here … does not work in the 458)

scarfiotti355 likes this.
  16. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    My sons are 4 and 1. The 4 year old cries every time I take the car out and he can't come. I have to figure someway to get airbag turned off or removed.

17. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    #17 jim g, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll try the seat when it arrives and hopefully it works. I bought a used Mercedes seat with babysmart ( I couldn't find a new one). If it doesn't work I hope Ferrari puts the switch in the passenger door to turn the passenger airbag off in the 488 replacement like they used to.

18. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yes i only have experience with the booster which is obviously front facing

Ash Patel likes this.
  19. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    So this seat includes the “babysmart” sensors that disables the passenger airbag when the seat is installed?

20. cjacks

cjacks Rookie

Jan 1, 2018
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    C Jackson
    When they’re a bit older, and just need a booster, I’m a huge fan of the Bubble Bum. It’s soft and inflatable, which means I don’t have those hard plastic imprints on my seats, plus it’s super easy to travel with (just deflate and throw it in the suitcase).

21. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    What about turning the airbag off?

22. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Does the Porsche system work in the Ferrari; is the airbag switched off ?

23. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel

24. cjacks

cjacks Rookie

Jan 1, 2018
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    C Jackson
    According to the owners manual, doesn't look like it can be done. Hence no rear facing seats.

25. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    I’m actually looking for a front facing seat / booster seat that someone has used in a 458 with racing seats that 100% turns off the passenger airbag and fits inside the narrow bolsters.

Viper830tt likes this.