1999 550 Maranello Air Bag Light | FerrariChat

1999 550 Maranello Air Bag Light

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by hogbreth, Feb 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hogbreth

hogbreth Karting

Oct 23, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    John Bennett
    I had a battery issue and continued trying to start the engine soon I had an airbag light and it won't cancel. This auto does not have an OBD port. Any thoughts.
    Thanks

2. Art H

Art H Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 15, 2014
    I feel your pain. I had the same issue with my 1999 550. I couldn’t find another airbag ecu module anywhere! There was someone on Fchat who sent it to the UK to “Repair it “ but it never worked. I wasted mechanics time and my money trying to get it to work . They are hard to find and are not being reproduced. I finally was lucky enough more than a year later to find one and it worked immediately. Came from a wrecked car. There are a lot of liability issues with people trying to repair them. I think that’s why nobody wants to get involved. A few months ago Ferrparts had one I was going to buy it as a spare since I had such a hard time finding the first one.

You may also try Scuderia Rampante . They were trying to work on a solution for this. Good luck!

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    All US 550s had an OBD II port. Is yours a Euro?

4. hogbreth

hogbreth Karting

Oct 23, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    John Bennett
    yes

5. bruzzifumi

bruzzifumi Karting

Mar 27, 2015
  6. hogbreth

hogbreth Karting

Oct 23, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    John Bennett
    I've read all the posts concerning the Airbag light on my 550. I followed directions found in this Forum and removed the unit from the car. Looked for Alpha 145/146 module but can't find anything does someone have access to a replacement. thanks

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John- Are you sure an SD2 cannot reset the airbag light? The SD2 was set up with serial cables as well as an OBDII connector so it would work on rest of world Motronic 5.2 Ferraris.

8. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    As far as I know the only way to reset that light is with an SD 1,2 or 3.
    This from Rifledriver years ago when I got a airbag light after turning the key on with the warning lights disconnected due to taking the binacle out.

9. hogbreth

hogbreth Karting

Oct 23, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    John Bennett
    I found the connector for fiat I also found the yellow airbag plug and I was able to connect it to the Aytel unit at the shop however when I selected the the Alfa Romeo button I was looking for 145/146 model and they are not displayed only some other models that start 2007. I live in a small town and there is not a lot of support

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John- Good possibility even if you found a new box, that would not fix the light without an SD2. Florida is not that big. There is bound to be somebody close who has an SD2. There was even a mobile technician there at one time who traveled with his SD2 at one time. Ask around.

11. hogbreth

hogbreth Karting

Oct 23, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    John Bennett
    Good evening. Well I guess this will wrap up this topic. Had a good day Dustless Sandblasting came to the shop and finally had the body stripped on my 63 Impala.While I was waiting and watching the fellow work I went back to the Ferrari and continued trying to get the airbag light out. The Altel unit we have actually has a selection for Ferrari Including 550/575 and 599 along with other models. Selected 550 but as the selections progressed there was no way to specifically check the airbag. The 575 selection allowed you to interrogate the TRW airbag nothing didn't say bad good or anything. Last night I had a post to the effect that even replacing the unit may not turn out the light found one on the internet with the correct Ferrari part number If that's the case I guess I'll forget the whole thing and live with it. Thanks guys for all your help I would really be lost without your advice. Take care

12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Florida is a small place. Drive it to someone who has the equipment. Can't be a hundred miles.