Looking for Grigio touch up paint | FerrariChat

Looking for Grigio touch up paint

Discussion in '308/328' started by kidryno, Feb 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kidryno

kidryno Karting

Dec 22, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Any advice on the best source/brand for touch up paint for my 1983 Grigio 308? Looking to repair a few small rock chips on the front and looking for the best match. Any help is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    Stop at Sameday Autobody because they are awesome! But since the closest one to you is in St Louis, Your local body shop (check online reviews first) and ask em to match the color and brush touch up the car real quick for $50

Then ask if you can have the extra paint

They have lil bottles.

If they wont then stop at an automotive paint store in your area and they will hook you up.

kidryno likes this.
  3. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Automotive paint stores can custom mix small bottles of paint for a nominal charge.

They can determine the color match two ways; 1. using a paint scanner/analyzer which they lay on the car, press a button and the machine determines the tinting mixture, or 2. they have color chips, just like a hardware store does for house paint, which you can go through and select the best match.

If the chips are small, it is remarkable how poor the touch-up paint can match the original color and still look quite good. I've gone over my car to touch-up chips here and there and I was surprised how close inspection revealed several touch-ups by the prior owner with a color way off of Rosso Corsa and I didn't even notice until I inspected carefully.

kidryno likes this.
  4. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Paintscratch.com. Their single-stage "Grigio 700 MC" paint was a perfect match for my '85 Grigio 700/C. I found this recommendation on FChat.

4re308 and kidryno like this.
  5. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    In case you don't already have this info: Grigio Ferro (Glasurit FER 106-E-8.) or this formula based on my '79 308:

Axalta Cromax Mosaic formula for Grigio Ferro 106-E-8, here it is. This took a computer scan of the side of my light pods plus a few rounds of adjustment after test spraying. The numbers below are cumulative so add up to the total 1335.8 grams:

SBL21 NDO BLUE 76.7
    SBL18 BRIGHTNESS ADJUSTER 290.1
    SBL16 MED ALUMINUM 470.0
    SBL05 HIGH STRENGTH BLACK 616.4
    SBL02 L/S WHITE 705.6
    SBL64 MAGENTA 719.5
    SBL626B BINDER 863.1
    SBLT25B REDUCER 1335.8

4re308 and kidryno like this.
  6. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
    I have also used paintscratch.com, fast shipping, great products, always been a perfect match.......... and usually in the $15-$25 range

kidryno likes this.