Cost of buying new and not driving a Ferrari | FerrariChat

Cost of buying new and not driving a Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by intrepidcva11, Feb 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    There is a lovely 2005 F430 spider, rosso corsa/beige, on Bring a Trailer showing 1,003 miles. current bid is $117,430. I've just checked the msrp of this car new = $192,484. A The value of 192,484 2005 dollars in 2019 dollars is $247,496. The original buyer is out more than $130K in value AND he has lost fourteen years of passionate Ferrari driving.

I don't get it. Why do folks 'museum-piece' their Ferraris and pass on the sheer joy of driving them? I LOVE to drive, whether my Ferrari(s), Cadillac or my wife's really neat Mazda CX-5. Will never understand this syndrome.

LARRYH, kerrari, Zed82 and 5 others like this.
  2. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Well the same guy has a 360, same low miles type deal .......also for sale on BaT.
    He may buy one, or two of everything.
    Drive one and sell one later, hard to say unless he answers that question in the notes for the listing.
    I drive mine a lot, some people don’t.

Keith Darby likes this.
  3. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Owner might have 15 cars. Only so much driving can be done.

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Probably a workaholic to afford that stuff and has no time.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And boats, planes, a family and a company to run.

6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    +100 %

I’ve never been able to take anyone reciting their extremely low mileage ownership of any car seriously enough to consider them as a “real car guy”.

7. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Comment by the seller.......
    Part of a private collection that is being liquidated.

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Even though it is one of 40? Get real.

I guess Briggs Cunningham, Bruce Meyer and people of their ilk are not real car guys.

Got it.

rennspeed likes this.
  9. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    Bet Jay Leno has not racked up many miles on most of his extensive collection.

It becomes a full time job cleaning the cars that are driven, changing fluids, maintaining dead batteries and tire pressure. Then ya hire guys to do all that and you have the job of managing those guys because they cant make decisions with out your signature.

Atlanta355, LARRYH, Racer_X and 2 others like this.
  10. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Much of it comes from history. Early Ferraris were notoriously unreliable. Frequent breakdowns and constant maintenance were a given. My '64 Lusso was a money pit. Several thousand per year to keep it running. My 360, 575 and 599 combined haven't cost that much to maintain and drive. My advice for newer Ferraris, as I advise on boats: Let the original buyer pay and get the bugs out before you jump in a reap the benefits.

Basal Skull, 05elise and gh0st0 like this.
  11. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Perhaps I should’ve been clearer:
    I know some of “their ilk” is, but have Mr. Cunningham or Mr. Meyer been known to be obsessively concerned about the mileage they accumulate on their cars ?
    I wonder how many 250GTO owners worry about that ?
    Those that do, I just can’t take as serious car guys, sorry.

HalWoods, Jakuzzi and iloveferrari like this.
  12. 3pedal360

3pedal360 Rookie

Jan 11, 2013
    A lot of valid points made, bottom line is that not driving them is bad for the cars, fuel gums up, seals dry out etc. the difference in this reoccurring “investment car guys” mindset is the complete opposite of what Enzo intended these rolling works of art for. And the reality is I’ve worked on more lussos 275s 250s 330s Daytona’s Dino’s you make it with well over 100k kilometers on them whether they broke down on the owners or not. And look at the values of most of those cars today. Drive it. Maintain it. Enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

John Sendt, 4_Eff_Sake and HalWoods like this.
  13. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Owning a Ferrari and not driving it is akin to having a Victoria Secrets model for a wife and not having sex with her.

14. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    To each their own.
    Some folks love these cars and enjoy looking at them and having them parked, fully detailed in their heated garages with no need to drive them to have the pleasure of ownership.
    Others prefer to take their pleasure from putting their cars through the paces, driving being the best enjoyment.
    Your comparison to a relationship with a beautiful model is valid and corresponds well in real life, some guys enjoy having sex with their wives, others experience the pleasure just from being with them (and some, from watching them have sex with others guys).

Jason Wells and MalcQV like this.
  15. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ferraris were built to be driven. If someone likes to look at them and not drive them, then buy posters and hang them up on the wall.

Enjoying sex with your wife is the same as enjoying driving your Ferrari, and enjoying your wife’s company is the same as enjoying ownership of your Ferrari when you’re not driving it (ie washing it, detailing it, working on it, seeing it parked in your garage or looking at it while parked wherever you are out and about.)

As for your last comment, I would get no enjoyment watching someone else driving my Ferrari (I won’t even mention the wife part of this comparison ;))

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Sure makes me glad someone is smart enough to tell everyone how to live their life and spend their money. I never felt omnipotent or egotistical enough for that.

Testerosse and Jakuzzi like this.
  17. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That’s not the only advice I have to offer

18. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I don't get it either. My 2014 Cali30 is a wonderful spec and had 4,600 miles on it when I bought it 40ish days ago. It has 6,000 miles now. Even when the OMG I HAVE A FERRARI honeymoon phase passes, I'll still drive it more than 3K/year. It's a car, a ****ing great one, and I bought it to enjoy it.

HalWoods, daytona355 and Jakuzzi like this.
  19. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Careful there... "don't kill other people" and "bag it when you don't know her" are also sage instruction said by smart people...

daytona355 likes this.
  20. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    OP.. alternative is that the owner overpaid willingly for a car if market deems it only worth $1xx,xxx...

I don't buy new personally unless I can seriously afford the depreciation.

21. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    So, keep her locked up in a dark garage and take her out a few times a week to bang it out. Take your friends for rides, (smell of lubricant and burning rubber), leave her in a parking lot while you go out for dinner, hose her down dry her off take nude pics to post online and lock her up in the garage again?

:eek:

It was mentioned this was coming from an entire collection of ah.. wives so yeah, only so much you can do with each one. :D

22. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Some people collect comics, other collect cars. Many comic books are sealed in bags and never touched or read.

To some wealthy people, cars are their comic books. Buy it, seal it away in a garage and just look at it them every now and then. Some just enjoy knowing they have the cars, could care less about actually driving them. To each their own, and how they spend their money. Honestly..who are we to judge? We like driving, they may not. Doesn't mean they can't like cars.

randkin, LARRYH, PVEferrari and 2 others like this.
  23. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    We all have opinions and our own opinions are the basis by which we judge everybody else.
    To me whether you look at you [car] Ferrari in the garage, polish it, show it or drive it like there's no tomorrow, it matters little because ultimately it is your choice, your time and money doing what makes you happy. Your happiness and not your neighbour or friend's or indeed internet person.

I get those people that like to see their bank balance rise and spend little or nothing, not my idea of fun but it is for some and why not if it makes them happy?

So long as you are enjoying your thing and nobody close is getting hurt by it :)

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  24. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I absolutely agree with you, I'm in the camp that prefers to drive their cars (and keep and sleep with their wives exclusively).
    I was only acknowledging the existence of other "wants".....

John Sendt and Texas Forever like this.
  25. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Be it wines or art, having a Rothko on the wall and telling everyone "I have a Rothko!" might sound impressive to others.

When they come over and realize you've hung it upside down, and it's a rebottled Gallo Pinot... takes down the impression.

Same "intent and effect" in my eyes with a garage queen. :) Anyone can do what they want with their money, whether it accomplishes what they intended is questionable. Buying it as a personal trophy is fine in my eyes, don't expect me to be impressed by your trophy..

davemqv, JCR, TTR and 1 other person like this.