458 - Anyone upgrade to the new carbon rims? | FerrariChat

458 Anyone upgrade to the new carbon rims?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by MalibuGuy, Feb 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Has any 458 owner upgraded to the new pricey carbon rims? Assuming they fit!

The unsprung weight loss would have a palpable effect . More than titanium lug bolts or a lithium ion battery. Of course I am not opposed to doing all three!

2. DMantooth

DMantooth Karting

Dec 24, 2018
    What's the cost of the new wheels and what performance gain do you get for that dough?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Apparently it's difficult to get the carbon rims as option for a Pista, so I'm not sure how it would be possible to source them as aftermarket equipment.
    The 488 Pista has the same wheel dimensions as a regular 488, so they would fit a 488 GTB or spider.
    They have the same dimensions as the Speciale wheels, but not the same offset; I'm not sure the change in geometry it would imply on a 458 would not counter the weight benefit.
    Anyway, for an average driver I think there's more gain to earn by improving driving skills than for going for theoritical car improvements... maybe the only significant difference one can get from adapting the car is to go for semi-slick tyres (e.g. PSC2) instead of road tyres.

4. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Good points!

The front and rear rims on the 458 weight about 100 pounds. The carbon rims are supposed to save around 40 pounds.
    If one also upgrades to a lithium ion battery, that’s good for another 20 pounds savings.

That might result in a noticeable improvement—even with no improvement in the skills of its driver.

The firm which makes these rims are experiencing a lot of demand for their product. If the rims can survive street use, I’m sure more and more enthusiasts will purchase them. Hopefully prices will fall with greater demand and sales.

5. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    So for the record, the estimated weight of the carbon wheels is 72 lbs for the set. The Speciale wheels were 80 lbs for the set. (as compared to stock wheels for 488 which were 120 lbs, the forged 488 wheels which were 104, and the forged 458 wheels which I think were 96 lbs). I bought a takeoff set of speciale wheels from Exoticar auto for around 6k. To save 2 more lbs per wheel, the carbon wheels are 25k when spec'd with a pista (if you can get them) and I would assume even more bought as an aftermarket option. Also, if you overheat the carbon wheels (inner lining discolored) they have to be discarded. For my $, I'll stick with the conventional forged wheels. No affiliation btw with the above dealer, just a happy customer.

MalibuGuy and DMantooth like this.
  6. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I just don't get an ultra bright white coating on arguably the dirties and hardest part of the car to clean. I know why its there just don't want to be the one to maintain it. Perhaps they will advance the epoxy formulation soon so its not needed assuming these become the standard.

JackCongo likes this.
  7. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    Its a difficult option to get currently on the pista itself - however it would perhaps work IF you used your OEM tire size. You wouldnt be able to use the OEM Speciale or Pista/488 sizes on a standard 458.

8. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Why is it white? What's the reasoning? I don't think Porsche has anything white on the inside of their CF wheels.

9. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Surprisingly haven't see the color addressed yet:

http://www.carbonrev.com/technology

"THERMAL BARRIER COATING

In order to shield the wheel from the extreme brake temperatures generated during track use, Carbon Revolution turned to aerospace technology. For decades ceramic coatings have been used to treat aircraft engine components, such as turbine blades, which are also subject to extreme heat. Using similar methods, Carbon Revolution developed its own ceramic Thermal Barrier Coating (TBC) using a multi-layer, proprietary formulation that creates excellent thermal resistance. This coating is applied to the inner wheel barrels and to the back of the spokes using a plasma arc process to liquefy the ceramic material. The result is a thin, ultra-tough coating that reduces wheel temperatures and allows continuous track use by even the most aggressive drivers."

10. HRE_Jurrian

HRE_Jurrian Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2015
    Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    Logan
    Those considering lightweight wheels are going to likely spend a pretty penny finding Carbon wheels, so for those looking to get a lightweight set that's made from T6-6061 Aluminum like we normally use, we've got some awesome weight figures on our R101 Lightweight wheels.

Ferrari 458 R101 Lightweight fitment:
    20x8.5 ET32 fronts - 16.60lbs
    20x11 ET40 - 18.50lbs
    Optional 21x12.5 ET55 - 22.00lbs

Ferrari 488 R101 Lightweight fitment:
    20x9 ET30 - 17.20lbs
    20x11 ET20 - 19.00lbs
    Optional 21x13 ET42 - 21.20lbs

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ShineKen likes this.
  11. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Karting

Jun 16, 2013
    The white top layer is likely there to avoid soaking up all that radiant heat coming from red hot brake rotors. White paints in general are noted for they low absorptance in the solar spectrum — that's why they appear white. I suppose the coating is "tuned" to the radiation emitted by glowing carbon ceramics, which should be more shifted towards infrared.

12. Suborbital

Suborbital Karting

Apr 25, 2018
    Fallbrook, Ca

I just don’t get the carbon fiber wheel thing. I work with unbelievable amounts of carbon daily, it has great properties for specific applications, but it is not ductile at all. Carbon is incredibly strong in compression but when it reaches its limit, failure is immediate. An aluminum wheel will soak up the shock of a large pot hole with ease, at worst will bend and be repairable, the carbon wheel will fracture and is unrepairable. On the track maybe it’s a good fit, I just can’t understand it on the street. Interestingly enough Jurrian, I’m your neighbor right down the street, you guys have a great facility.

HRE_Jurrian likes this.