Buying a 458 spider | FerrariChat

Buying a 458 spider

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Scott Brick, Feb 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scott Brick

Scott Brick Rookie

Jan 31, 2019
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Scott
    looking for advice on a 2013 Ferrari 458 spider. 12000 miles red with Nero top and interior. Included is build sheet if anyone cares to take a look. I can get it for 181k. I see similar ones listed for over 200k... but of course that is what they are listed for no idea what they sell for. Only comes with one key so I would have to get another one for ... 1k??? Any thoughts. Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. arkone

arkone Karting

Nov 20, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Mo
    Is this the one in GA? It's an insanely high MSRP spec but it's competitively priced, especially since it's not for sale at a Ferrari dealer...

Is $181k their bottom price? That's weird because they had it LISTED for $180k before they raised the price...

I see a few others with the same or less mileage but much lower MSRP listed in the $180k range as well. The cars you see in the 200k+ range tend to be low mileage 2014 models.

3. spieler

spieler Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2012
    miami florida
    If this car is a no story that is a steal IMO
    2013 with 10k are still over 200k when sticker is over 330k even over 205/210k.
    I saw the car you are referring to and was wondering why the price was that low.

4. Scott Brick

Scott Brick Rookie

Jan 31, 2019
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Me too. I am cautiously pulling trigger as we speak. Trying to get ahold of Ron for a pre purchase inspection. I am out of state. First Ferrari. Little nervous.

5. sbenus

sbenus Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2009
    San Juan
    Full Name:
    Simon
    price seems a bit low but if car checks out ok, go for it. buying my 458 spider was the best car move i've ever made. the hassle free enjoyment has been priceless

6. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I agree with others, the price seems very low. The miles aren't ridiculously high so that can't be affecting the price too much. I would expect that car to fetch closer to $210 - $225. Get a good PPI and travel to the location to look at the car first hand. Be there for the PPI if you can. If it checks out then it's a great deal! If it doesn't, then you only lost the money for the PPI and travel time. Good luck and let us know how everything turns out.

7. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I’ve been down this road in February last year with my 458 spider and I’m going to say that is the correct price on that car. An F dealer would probably offer 150 - 160 , if that. Best ,Kirk.

Melvok likes this.
  8. spieler

spieler Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2012
    miami florida
    Cigarzman.
    Show me one other example of a spider 2013 with a MSRp over 360 ( even 330) at 180k.
    I dont know one of them. As i said previously they are all over 200k.
    Look this one for example ( very close to the one we are talking about one difference just racing seats ) asking is 215k and it will sell over 200k for sure.
    https://www.drivingemotions.com/2013-ferrari-458-spider-c-370.htm

9. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I’m only sharing with the group what I was offered and sold my car some months ago. The buy / sell from the FCAR dealers is huge. Maybe you could share your personal experience selling a 458 spider with the group as I’m sure everyone would appreciate more informative information. Best , Kirk.

10. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    In the strange world of Ferrari, 12,000 miles results in about a $15,000 deduction from the price of an identical car with 5,000 miles. But a 2013 car with 12,000 miles was, in any real world context, not driven heavily. Assuming the PPI is OK, this strikes me as an excellent price for a heavily-optioned car.

Cigarzman and cavsct94 like this.
  11. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    Well -- it looks good !

12. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    love the seats imo racing seats only way to go

13. arkone

arkone Karting

Nov 20, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Mo

I'm somewhat in-between you both. Kirk thinks it's an average deal, you think it's a steal.... This is a fair deal but by no means a "fire sale" or a steal. You have to keep in mind that the spread on Ferraris and Lamborghinis is insane. I've been tracking a Perfomante for example, that was at a dealer for 6+ months. Listed at $320k and dropped it all the way down to $275k and I got offered it for $270k (dealer wholesale). I passed and it was sent to another dealership and it's now listed there for $315k. The same applies for 458s. I was quoted $150k for my trade in and a nearly identical car was being SOLD not listed for $175k at the time.

Cigarzman likes this.
  14. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mo , I agree with your assessment. It’s one thing to surf the internet and look at ask prices and it’s completely different story to deal in reality , meaning actual transactions buying and selling these cars. You and I have been there and that’s what I call real data. Anything less is presumption and hearsay. Best , Kirk.

Avia11 likes this.
  15. KappaJack

KappaJack Rookie

Jun 28, 2017
    Your inspection should include a look under the car when it is on a lift, a paint thickness meter for the metal painted body parts, and a trip to a Ferrari dealer for code readouts and inspection. I haven't seen the brake rotors, but try to compare them to another car with far lower miles and no track time if you can. The price looks great!

16. spieler

spieler Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2012
    miami florida
    Presumption and hearsay really !
    In the last 15 years i bought more than 20 ferraris ( mainly ordered them new) including a speciale aperta and a f12 tdf and i have in europe a pista spider for a 2019 delivery .
    So i think i know the ferrari game new and second hand.
    3 months ago i decided to buy a 458 spider with full carbon package in USA as i was staying 6 months per year here. Cars with option i liked are all over 330k MSRP. All the one i found were over 200k and i could never get a price under this limit after negotiation. The only one under was a black one here in the ads.
    So i was just saying BASED on my researchs not hearsays that the one at 185k with a MSRP over 360k was a steal ( change now by a very good price i give you that).
    It is still a 50% loss in 5 years from new . I find a lot of cars at 180k but with msrp under 300k or just over.
    I finally ordered a new Porsche turbo S cabriolet .
    I agree with you about difference between asking price and selling price but it is usually 5% max on these models.In any case it is the experience that i had recently.

17. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

So you didn’t actually buy the 458 spider or trade one in or sell one ? However, I do see that you are an expert on ordering limited edition Ferrari cars. Best , Kirk.

18. spieler

spieler Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2012
    miami florida
    i sold one but in 2015.
    i am not an expert just telling which offers i made that have been refused on 3 highly optioned 458 spider( sticker over 200k) but maybe i am a bad negotiator on second hand car.
    anyway who cares about my opinion :)

19. arkone

arkone Karting

Nov 20, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Mo
    Exactly, it doesn't matter what a car's list price is, all that matters is the actual transaction price. My buddy is contemplating buying an F12 and it was listed locally for $289k and was going to offer $275+. I ran the VIN and found that the previous dealer had it LISTED for $260k and it swapped dealers for under $250k. Told him he should be paying not a dollar over $260 for it.

Same thing goes for real estate, you have far too many sellers thinking their properties should be sold as 5-7% cap rate when in reality, it should be closer to 10.

No offense, but I think you're just bad at negotiating.

20. spieler

spieler Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2012
    miami florida
    If you say so ....
    You took one example and draw conclusions. My offers were not accepted so i did not buy the car . Does it make me a bad negotiator not really as i did not buy it,.
    For the last time as people seems to not understand what i am saying a 2013 spider 458 with an Msrp over 360k and 12k miles at 185k is a very good price and i could not find one close to that price when i was looking for one. They were all over 210k and nobody wanted to go under 200k nobody.
    A f12 ,a ff, a california ( i had 5 of them) it is an other story

21. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I’m not sure about his negotiating skills , for a guy who says that he owns an Aperta , F 12 TDF and a Pista Aperta coming. I can’t imagine for 10-20 grand he passes on a 458 spider. Just saying , does not add up. Best ,Kirk.

22. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    It comes with ONE key ? Not the car spottless, and a recent PPI ready with the documents ?

And for a price of K€ 181 ?

Go away from that seller, cannot be reliable imo … go to a oem F dealer.

23. spieler

spieler Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2012
    miami florida
    LOl i already posted pictures of some of my cars, i have nothing to prove to you i do not know you . My TDF has been sold by the dealer to a formula one pilot and by the way Pista aperta does not exist.
    I could not really find the car i was looking for and was not sure 100% i wanted to"downgrade" but i like very much the 458 so was kinda torn.
    It is not always a question of money even if money counts at least for me . I like making good deal , that is part of the fun for me.
    My real or ghost cars has nothing to do with the question from the poster .

24. jac

jac Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Full Name:
    jack cohen
    I have another data point. This past week I purchased a 13 458 spider with 2,500 miles list was around 330k. Actual transaction just last week. Passed both my inspection and a ppi from maranello autosports with flying colors.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Scro and 458 Spider 0414 like this.