458 - Anyone know this car? 2010 Bianco/Nero 458 from Florida #174371 | FerrariChat

458 Anyone know this car? 2010 Bianco/Nero 458 from Florida #174371

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by billboboy, Feb 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. billboboy

billboboy Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2015
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Will L
    https://www.cars925.com/vehicle-details/2010-ferrari-458-italia-coupe-c64714363e204af5a46ca43370ab544a
    VIN: ZFF67NFA6A0174371

Looking for advice on:
    1. A car with no service history records, a 5-owner history, and two open recalls.
    The 5 owners does not seem all that unusual to me since it was the first model year and changed hands 3 times in the first 1.5yrs (rapid demand + increasing value over MSRP for these cars). The lack of service records and keeping two open recalls seems odd.
    2. Florida car that got a dealer PPI then immediately shipped to New Jersey for auction, purchased and shipped out to my area in CA.
    3. Why would an owner not have two recalls performed when there is a dealer in the same city and it's FREE?
    4. Why would Ferrari of Ft. Lauderdale not simply perform the recall corrections when they had it in for the PPI?

Does anyone know about this car's history?
    What I've pieced together from CarFax is that It lived all of its life in the Miami area.
    Being a '10 model it is not unusual for cars that were not part of the 7yr maintenance program (that started in '12) to not have a dealer service history. Quick Google search shows that there appear to be several reputable non-dealer shops in southern FL that could maintain the car. I called each of the dealers that are listed on the Carfax and all of them said they have never had any service records for the vehicle (strange or simply a 'neither conform or deny' attitude).
    Current dealer says they have no service history on the car and it still has two open recalls (airbag and front bonnet release). I've spoken to both Ferrari of Ft.Lauderdale and asked if they can provide any information at all, even as simple as if/when the car was in their service department. They refuse to even confirm the car had been there... even though it's on the CarFax report that they performed a PPI on the car only 8mo ago.

Since the current dealer is also the current owner I've asked them to call both Ferrari SF and Ferrari FL to request a redacted service history and and I can't take the car for a PPI until the recalls are corrected. I don't think I'm being too picky, do you guys?
    The car is at 11k miles so it's also coming up on its 12.5k service (likely would hit that in the first year of ownership).

2. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    It is my understanding all Ferrari Service is now Computerized by Ferrari therefore the need of a paper trail is less needed then prior. If service however is being done by other non factory auth. shops common sense would be to keep a paper trail. Quite obvious the car being a 2010 was only driven approx. 1300 miles /yr. It is questionable any major services were done to it by independent shop as it is very expensive and difficult to buy Ferrari computer's necessary to service properly. By chance is the service wrench signal showing on screen that a service is needed. If this light is not on and the car is 9 yrs old it must have been shut off by a Ferrari Dealer as to my knowledge it is impossible to do this simple task without a Ferrari computer to do so! I suppose a neglected Garage Queen recall notices can be missed esp. the one for airbag as this has been a very slow process! Good luck!

3. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Unfortunately the different dealer’s computers are not centrally linked. Ferrari of Ft. Lauderdale also refused to provide any records to me.

I would get a PPI and decide based on that.

4. billboboy

billboboy Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2015
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Will L
    Thanks for the quick replies. I’m driving up to check out the car in person tomorrow and will check the Menu-Service screen to see if there is any entry there regarding service.

If there is no dealer record and no paper trail record do you all think this would hurt my ability to sell the car later? I keep insanely meticulous spreadsheet and paper records of my other two FCars and would do the same to this one.

5. arkone

arkone Karting

Nov 20, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Mo

The thing is the early model 458s are not collectible by any means. I own a 2010 458 Italia as well and I have MOST records but not all from the previous owner, but I got a full PPI and service update done the week I bought the car and kept all records during my ownership. I also got into minor accident with my 458 so I have all the receipts and proof the work was done correctly by replacing parts instead of repairing the old ones.

I was under the impression my car was worth about $160k before the accident ($150k buy bid from Lamborghini NB) and now I've gotten offers in the $145-$150k from private buyers.

As long as you get everything up to date, you should be fine!

6. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    The cheapest ferrari is often the most expensive one. This one is not even cheap. With its history or it lack thereof, this is one that you should stay away, regardless of what the ppi says.

Avia11 and IPO1 like this.
  7. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I had an elementary teacher in woodworking class that said a dull knife will cut you faster than a sharp one. Interesting analogy.

docf likes this.
  8. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Maybe take a lil bit of advice from Dionne...

docf likes this.
  9. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Don't understand your statement regarding not centrally linked! When I purchased my 15 458 it came from Huston. All services were Centralized with Ferrari of North America so current Dealer in Fl. had all services done, 7 yr maintenance, additional warranty etc. by contacting them. If you are thinking about linkage of Dealership to one another they are not to my knowledge. Dealer explained to me that a paper trail as to services done, no matter which Dealer did them is Centralized by Ferrari. Dealer then personally showed me the history of my car! I however do keep a paper trail on my car for proof of service.

10. billboboy

billboboy Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2015
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Will L
    I believe the MODIS system took effect in 2012 in conjunction with the 7yr maintence included plan. Since this is a 2010 car, as Ferrari of SF service guy explained it to me, many of these cars simply never went to the dealer for routine maintenance. I believe you are correct about all dealer work and some authorized service centers now all connect to MODIS and feed info to my.ferrari.com.

docf likes this.
  11. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Thank you for the reply as I didn't realize other than the 7 yr maintenance schedule that the 2010-2012 458's computer service tracking programs were different. Good luck. I believe if you have a low milage car, no carfax, good PPI, a major service included the deal, the call backs taken care of, the tires ( Production Dated) should not be over 4 yrs old regardless of thread life you are good to making a deal! I doubt a low mileage 10 yr old car has updated tires per age. Remember this car is capable of 200mph.

12. billboboy

billboboy Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2015
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Will L
    Completely agree. Got the Carfax on the vehicle. It has 11k so wanted to do the 12.5k fluids and acc. belt service within the first year, definitely will do a PPI, and the tires are from 2015 so I would be replacing them right away since tread life is also to 7/32”.

13. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Sounds great. Buy Michelins better ride & wear than Pirelli. Again good motoring. Your going to enjoy the 458!

14. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Good luck.

15. billboboy

billboboy Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2015
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Will L
    Ended up passing the car. Got a 2015 Grigio with the lifter and backup camera system I wanted anyway in a private sale.
    Hope someone gets to enjoy this 2010 car.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app