End of Lusso GTC4 V12 production? | FerrariChat

End of Lusso GTC4 V12 production?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by NeilF8888, Jan 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    I was told today you could no longer order a new Lusso GTC4 for delivery in the USA. Is anyone waiting for a delivery or trying to order one in the USA. Is the V12 Lusso still available to be ordered in other countries?

For clarity, the LussoT remains available.

2. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    Lusso is no longer available since the end of 2018. I asked my dealer before. LussoT yes.

3. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Guess they need the V12 production capacity for the imminent 812 Aperta / Spyder.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  4. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    #4 635CSI, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    What a shame, as an owner of V12 and V8 2+2 Ferrari, I do somewhat fear for continuance of the line with the FUV on the horizon.

5. bruno787

bruno787 Karting

Nov 1, 2010
    PHILIPPINES
    is this a US only thing or worldwide?

6. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Does anyone know how well the LussoT is selling? I personally don't get it, half the allure to me of the Lusso/FF is the V12. Are the profit margins that much higher on the V8?

timjen88 likes this.
  7. Juli

Juli Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Julian
    GTC4Lusso and GTC4LussoT are still available for the German market.

8. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Still available in Switzerland too and I was told no changes for sure till end of 2020.

Bas and Doug23 like this.
  9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think the reason the model is not available to order is because they are updating the GTC4 with a few items such as 360 degree parking cameras etc (which would be really nice to have!). I think we will see it return to being possible to order it. Just not sure when.

F2003-GA likes this.
  10. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Why would it only be the V12 that is unavailable then?

F2003-GA likes this.
  11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    That's a good question! Very logical. I don't know.

F2003-GA likes this.
  12. Elisesko

Elisesko Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2016
    Maybe they knew people would balk at paying a 5x price increase for the Lusso so it's engine had to go in the Monza with spare v12 capacity being used in the more popular shooting brake locales. I hope it's just a system glitch.

13. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Here in Canada still available till end of year or on special request from what I heard. My LussoT was supposed to be built in Jan and has been pushed back to February.

Bundy likes this.
  14. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I expect emissions will kill the V12 soon enough. Then everyone will want one and our resale will improve - win! ;)

timjen88, yamashek, F2003-GA and 2 others like this.
  15. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    Prophecy...........The V12 GTC4 Lusso and the 812 will be very last of an 'On the Beach' era so cherish while we can.

Apologies for the obscure Nevil Shute Ref.

deltona and seawise like this.
  16. seawise

seawise Karting

Feb 29, 2016
    Sussex, UK
    From what I have been told from various internal sources, bar a couple of 'specials' for special clients, when the 812 production run is over that will be it for the non-assisted normally aspirated 12's - sad but Ferrari alone can't swim against the tide of change. I like the 'Nevil Shute' reference, very apt !

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I really don't get the negativity toward hybrids. Isn't the LaFerrari good enough?

18. Eric360

Eric360 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    My sales guy says you can still order a V12 Lusso.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    It’s like the idiocy of the older 911’s that are the last of the air cooled...just outdated!

Bring on NA with H assist. 918 and Laf proved it.

20. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    I personally appreciate the direct mechanical inter-action of a NA engine, the modulating of the throttle in cornering and gear changing and the pleasure of when you get it spot on like a superb golf shot. Plus it may be OK to have Hybrid on the La Ferrari but to transpose that on to cars down the range maybe the wrong move as the complete replacement battery pack on the La Ferrari is around $150,000.
    With the rapid regeneration charging set up battery life is probably around 7 - 10 years at best. Imagine the effect on resale values of cars valued at around the battery replacement cost.

When it is the better all round option I'll jump in with both feet but until then........... NA

21. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    Our TM Lusso is on the water heading to FNA currently. It shipped from Italy this January.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

uhn2000, Bundy and F2003-GA like this.
  22. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    NA + battery = great sound + instant response + instant torque. ...

I can't wait!

F2003-GA likes this.
  23. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I wouldn't try to extrapolate the battery replacement cost on a La Ferrari down to any lower priced models. The La Ferrari pack is nothing special (and is actually not very good from a power/energy density perspective), and the only reason it costs anywhere near that much is because its for the La Ferrari.

350MH83 likes this.
  24. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    It's not a 'hybrid' in the sense of what is being planned now.

The LaF is a KERS system meant to simply boost power, not intended to drive the entire car on a regular basis.

The upcoming 'hybrid' models intends to not be for only power boost but more for emissions, specifically regularly reducing tailpipe emissions, this means it will be a bigger and heavier battery pack and more electric motors (also heavier) to actually drive the wheels (LaF has 2 motors, one spins the engine/transmission and one acts as an alternator), the electric motors in up coming models will presumably directly drive the wheels, totally different, not a KERS system.

The negativity is resulting from decreased engine sizes, heavier cars (less nimble no matter how much 'power' it provides), range problems, and all the other problems associated with putting primary focus on electric/battery propulsion.

Further, this is being caused by governments of China and EU that heavily tax (or will) based on tailpipe emissions (or out right bans), none of this is being driven (so to speak) by customers, none of it. That, I think also influences the negativity factor. Simply put we do not like being forced to seek solutions to ridiculous government mandates (yes, there has pretty much also been this or that mandate but none so much 'in your face' as to the drivetrain as what is occurring now).

Bundy, stavura, FFantastic and 4 others like this.
  25. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The hybrid system in new Ferraris will also be supplementary. The engine will be the primary motive force. No reason for panic.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.