Radio Won’t Turn On... | FerrariChat

Radio Won’t Turn On...

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Anymac, Feb 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Anymac

Anymac Karting

Jul 27, 2015
    My new to me 90 TR has the Alpine unit. When I press power I get nothing.

Wondering if there is something simple I might be missing. I checked the fuse and it looks good.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 512pilot

512pilot Rookie

Oct 22, 2018
    Hi, the fuse is probably good, however unless you check it for continuity you're never really sure. Check it out with your VOM and just follow the wire backwards from the radio connection towards the battery.
    Have you worked on the car lately, particularly It's electrical system? I found that I have unusual things happen shortly after I work on a car when I inadvertently pulled a wire loose, Etc.

Sent from my VS995 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. 512pilot

512pilot Rookie

Oct 22, 2018
    Oh, one other thing... I own two Alpine stereos with the chiklet buttons (and I'm looking for a third one, a 7374) both of which are similar to yours, and have found that -usually- those radios are pretty darn good, operationally speaking.
    Start with the radio connector itself and see if your positive lead... Or on some Alpine's both of your positive leads... Have sufficient voltage going through them and being delivered to the back end of the radio itself. If you have 2 positive or hot battery leads going to your radio as many Alpine's do, make sure that the ignition is turned on when you are checking your leads for voltage.

4. Anymac

Anymac Karting

Jul 27, 2015
    Ok. Do I just pull the radio forward to get yo the connectors on the back?

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Along 512pilot's thinking, one thing you could do is remove the passenger footwell panel and see if any inline fuses are present in the (added) wiring for your radio. My Nakamichi radio also has one +12V all the time connection and one +12V with key "on" connection. The +12V all the time connection had/has a small inline fuse added, and, at my last service, it was blown (I'm assuming when they tried quick-charging the battery). The all the time +12V wire from the stock radio fuse (via the connector k) is a light blue-red wire in the passenger footwell so you should see something added there and is a place to confirm/deny +12V (as is where the light blue-red wire leaves the k white connector on the fuse-relay panel). Good hunting!

6. 512pilot

512pilot Rookie

Oct 22, 2018
    That's a great point Steve. There very well might be an inline fuse in fact I would almost bet on it.

To answer the question about removal, depending on the model when you remove the faceplate, there might be a small lever on the left or right side which locks the radio in place. Lifting up on this lever should unlock it and let it slide toward you, exposing the wires.

Good luck

7. Anymac

Anymac Karting

Jul 27, 2015
    After jump the radio now works! I think I need a new battery ;-)

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  8. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    put a new battery for a peace of mind and verify charging system

9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #9 Steve Magnusson, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Sounds like a software reset ;) I should've mentioned that as my Nakamichi has a small reset button that I've had to use after replacing the battery, using the battery cutoff switch, etc.. Is the small round button to the right of the knob on your Alpine also a reset button? (Mine looks very much like that. Not something that protrudes and you can press with a finger -- it's flush with the surrounding surface, and requires using something like a toothpick or pencil end to push, and has a small detent depression in the middle to locate the pointy thing used to do the pushing.)

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  10. Anymac

Anymac Karting

Jul 27, 2015
    Oddly the radio went back to not powering on this morning. But the car started fine and the battery tested good yesterday.

Now I’m really confused!

11. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Do you have the manual for the radio? Is that a reset button?