vanquish owners? | Page 36 | FerrariChat

vanquish owners?

Discussion in 'British' started by ross, Jan 2, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Beautiful car, unfortunately the vin is just short of the factory transmission update and no mention of the sensors being updated by the dealer.

2. FUNRARI

FUNRARI Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2008
    Washington D.C.
    Full Name:
    Z
    I wouldn’t worry about that, not a big deal if sensors start acting up, many cars have gone 40-50,000 miles without issue....

3. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I have first hand experience, the throttle pot design was horrible.

4. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    Lots of VQ with less than 10k miles for sale in the US. I found a 06 mint with 2400 miles for just a bit more money in FL.
    someone looking for a deal on one of those should snap it but due to low mileage should make sure it has been gone trhu. IMO that car would require more upfront maintenance than a 10k miles car. Owners just dont drive them.

5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  6. XJRS Owner

XJRS Owner Karting

Aug 20, 2009
    Northern CT
    Terrible color. Wouldn't drive it if you gave it to me. I'd make it into a parts car.

7. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    Someone from amoc did.
    let me just say that any VQ S in the $100k on the market now is a steal as a comparison.
    it is easy for a V to claim a 50k bills if issue
    so unless some finds that car in need of nothing, it is way overpriced compared to the others in the market.
    the color can be dealt with for 15k.
    i personnaly would buy it a 5k to make a decent deal

ryalex likes this.
  8. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I have to respectfully disagree. I had an ‘05 Vanq S and now have an ‘07 V8 Vantage. The Vanq 12 motor was stunning in every way, but the transmission and Jag parts turned me off. The Vantage, sans the motor, seems next level especially in interior quality and the manual trans seals the deal.

9. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    it should be next level because it was "next level/next generation" in development and technology - You can't compare two cars from two separate developmental decades in those terms (tech, electronics, etc) and you talk "Sans Motor" - I submit to you, cars are about the power plant first and their looks (1 gen NSX = Vtec, C6 Corvette ZR1 = super charged LS9, Viper V10, etc.) switch gear is an after thought. You want to argue switch gear then - relook your Vantage switch gear and discover it is Ford too (sorry to bust the bubble), primarily shared with Volvo just as the NSX has Accord buttons, Corvette has parts bin GM buttons, Viper parts bin Dodge, etc - are they less iconic?

So the bottom line is as you cannot compare a 512TR to a 355 and say the 355 is "next level" in comparison...it is, but in terms of "special feel and icon status" - the 355 will never be an icon like a TR/512TR. Both the Vanquish/Vanq S were the pinnacle car for AM just as the TR/512TRs were for Ferrari. All Aston enthusiasts know the Vanquish was a special project car and unique thrust for Aston and undisputedly recognized as one of their milestone Heritage cars.

You can argue road capability of the cars, but you cannot compare a Vanquish/S in the same terms of a relative mass market targeted Vantage - sorry you just can't.

rampante550, markboj, FUNRARI and 2 others like this.
  10. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Two different cars , Rosso is correct.
    The way gasoline cars are going, buy what you like, ITS YOURS FOREVER now.
    The Vanquish is a wonderful, GT , It must be cared for and coddled.
    The Vantage is a Aston Martin Mustang, bullet proof bang for buck Aston that you could not kill even if you never change the oil.
    The v8 is why, its not a v12, but no drama with the v8, remember these cars were under Ford design at the time. Practical car in terms of cost to drive!
    Bullet proof, bullet proof, bullet proof.
    GTJOEY1314

FUNRARI likes this.
  11. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
  12. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    <bump>

I've just recently found a 2003 for sale with low (under 24K) miles at an extremely reasonable (below all others currently up for sale) price. I've been looking at V8 Vantages, but I'm very tempted by this Vanquish as it is also within my budget. But, it almost seems to be too good to be true, so I'm also duly hesitant.

This would be my first AM, so I am not well versed in them, or in the marque in general, and I do not want to get in over my head.

What should I watch out for on this one ? What deferred maintenance / issues might possibly be lurking that could account for such a low asking price ? Is the MY 2003 a known "bad year" for these cars ? BTW, the CarFax is perfectly clean ---- no accidents, no flood, no major recalls / factory defects, etc.

I'd hate to get into this one and have to immediately cough up big $$ in needed repairs that would easily obliterate the "good deal" on the purchase price.

Thanks

13. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    The Vanquish is a special car not for everyone. If you do town drive or are in a busy hiway, get the V8.
    If the car is used on special occasion like for pleasure and holiday trips and you want something really special the VQ is it.

A 2003 is the non S version and by going thru this thread you'll have an idea of what to look for. If the car never had the S gearbox upgrade, then based on your email dont buy it because you'll have to spend upwards of 10K someday. If the upgrade was done get proof and move to the coil / plugs replacment. Make sure the car does not leak/seep oil => change gasket. some cars do even the S.

If you can get copies of the service history, this will tell you all you need to know. Make SURE the car was maintained by a reputable AM shop and not by "Billy Hill lawn mower repair shop". If the car was never serviced => RUN. A vanquish of that age must have large bills.
    A VQ of that age should have about 12-20K miles to avoid the "sitting bills". A low milesVQ will likely cost you just because the car needs to run. Mine was 6K miles and I had to sink a bunch of money for a bunch of stuff including springs that were almost new but shot from sitting.!
    If the car is red and has been around for sale, it wont fit your need.

That said this is no more expensive than a Ferrari or comparable but the maintenance needs and costs are similar and Ok if you keep up with good maintenance

14. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Thanks very much for all the info.

Is the "S" gearbox upgrade merely a reprogram / software update for the TCU, or is there more involved ---- such as mechanical modifications ?

The reason I ask is that in 2015, the history report shows that a "Computer reprogrammed" service was performed. So, I am wondering if that may be the gearbox upgrade you refer to ?

15. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    The gearbox update is actually an update from hydraulic sensors to magnetic and the trans needs to be removed first. It does not need to be done unless you are having shift issues. Supposedly mine was skipping 3rd gear. While the trans is out, you might as well replace the clutch with the updated single plate S version as well. I had this done to mine before I had it shipped because it was at a dealership with the correct tools. All in was @$10k but I sourced the clutch parts from overseas myself. The dealer wanted almost $9k for the clutch. I got the same thing with the slave cyl delivered to the US for under $5k. My 2003 had 26,500 miles on the original clutch and still had life on it, but with the trans out for the sensor update, I decided to have it replaced.
    Wonderful car. I have put around 2000 miles on mine in almost a year with 0 issues. I just make sure to drive it like I stole it. The motor is high performance and does not want to be treated like a Cadillac.
    When it comes down to it, the car, like most others is still put together with nuts and bolts. Except for certain procedures that my need special tooling, everything else is doable, even for a DIY person. Just may take a little more time than other cars.
    Parts are expensive, but many wear items have been cross referenced over at AMOC for far less than those in a box with an Aston logo on it

markboj likes this.
  16. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    yeah. mechanical involved. some times ago (2 years ?) I placed an explaination that I found from a factory guy in this thread. I can't find it now. The description of the issue was outstanding and was very detailed. The fix was clearly explained. In short, notonly there are software updates but the main issue was about the mechanical sensor wear. The sensor WILL fail. The time it last depends on how the car is driven. Some guys seem to get 30K out of it from what I recall but most fail before that (especially when car is driven in AUTO MODE - which you should never do). The new sensor is magnetic.

17. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    markboj likes this.
  18. FUNRARI

FUNRARI Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2008
    Washington D.C.
    Full Name:
    Z
    There’s a lot of misinformation regarding these cars which are well engineered and robustly built, driven properly and regularly any issues will be minimal outside of routine maintenance, they are in the hidden gem category, (for now).

19. FUNRARI

FUNRARI Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2008
    Washington D.C.
    Full Name:
    Z
    BAT has had quite a few of these go under the hammer lately and there have been some smoking hot deals, if you’ve been thinking about picking one up, I don’t think there’s been a better time to buy.

20. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    The old Vanquish is the last DIY super car for its generation.
    Its considered a grand tourer by todays standards but was the king back in the day.
    Yes difficult to work on, its still manageable.
    The cost of parts and replacement at a dealer will average 1 to 2 years of a new vantage v8.lease payments but...…..
    its stance and style is well worth it .
    If your used to a German car, forget it, If you are a british car guy it will be your mistress, great then a pain in the ask!
    But that's the price of lust!
    With 60,000 miles seat time in my two Vanquish. No car company will build such a car again.
    4,300 pounds , front engine v12 normal asperated, dial gages and hand stitched leather from a human with a crooked line.
    That charm and elegance will never return.
    They are SOOOOO cheap for the money, but have the checkbook ready because when baby wants to play, YOUR GONNA PAY!
    GTJOEY1314 VANQUISH FOREVER.

21. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Nice looking one on BaT right now.

22. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
  23. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
  24. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Living with a Vanquish is like getting in the sack with a supermodel that has Gonorrhea,, fun while you do it and huge pain and headache afterwards.

25. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    The imagery above is a bit over the top. lol.. No diffferent from Lambos or Ferrari. Trust me!
    For those who are looking for a 03 Vanquish this looks like quite the deal. If I did not have one already, I'll be over it. Really worth a check.
    https://www.astonmartinwashingtondc.com/2003-aston-martin-vanquish-c-1519.htm
    Nice color combo and Love the interior. Seems that it was mostly owned by one guy is MA. CPO Certified BY THE Aston Dealer seller and huge price cut! I doubt this car will last long as it is price to go. Forget bring a trailer. That place seem to be pricy now.
    Note that I am not affilated nor did I ever dealt with the Aston dealer selling the car.

markboj likes this.