Ferrari ROMA | FerrariChat

Ferrari ROMA

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ajr550, Feb 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    Pulling together speculation in other threads on this forum it sounds like a Portofino Coupe (possibly with a V6 TT ) may be launched.Can we use this thread to collate any info ?
    I find it difficult jumping around all the threads to get the latest views on what Ferrari will release especially given the expanded model offering.

Doug23 likes this.
  2. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    Well, first they need to get their act together in delivering the convertibles...

Chizz, F2003-GA, Steve Bear and 2 others like this.
  3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Hmm. That would take away two major advantages of the Cali/Porto line - drop top & V8. I wonder if this is the entry level/Dino replacement that many have discussed here, esp. with the 6 cylinder engine?
    T

4. Doug23

Doug23 Karting

Jun 23, 2017
    Italy
    I think the first question to be sorted is: it's a Portofino variant or it's a new model intended to sits below the Portofino?

5. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Many people consider the drop top to be a disadvantage.

6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Indeed. I should have punctuated that sentence with "in my opinion."
    T

7. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    I,for one, am interested to see what the new line up will be.
    Strong suggestion that there will be an elegant new GT production model.
    I had assumed it would have a V12 up front but it might be a V6tt based on Portofino (or both!)

8. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Ferrari has publicly stated they plan to launch 15 new models by 2022 so no doubt we will see a few this year... I'm off to Geneva auto show in a few weeks and my dealer mentioned a 488 replacement is likely to be there... will report back!

Still waiting on my Portofino a year and a half after ordering... not sure I have the patience for another F car purchase any time soon!

9. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Not for me, and I’ve completely come around on all the convertibles with hard tops. But I accept there is a segment that dislikes the California/portofino because it had a convertible top though I suspect the distaste many have goes beyond the convertible top.

anunakki likes this.
  10. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    I don't think I've ever seen so many examples of people using "air quotes" as I have with Portofino reviewers referring to this car as "entry level". Almost a year ago I publicly asked the question Did Ferrari Make The Portofino Too Good? It can do 90% of what a 599 can do and looks at least as good. Perhaps better. Oh, and the top goes down. So it makes complete sense that they'd want to put something under it if the plan is to mass produce cars.

My question is, why does Ferrari want to mass produce cars? Exclusivity is the primary staple of the brand. You start cranking them out like Mustangs and you'll just dilute their value. Not sure what they're up to. I'm hoping that of the 15 new models they're set to produce in the next 3 years, at least 5 of those will be replacements for current models and one will be the SUV. If the rest are just low production specialty cars like the SP series, then all is well on the Western Front. Otherwise, something is rotten in Denmark (to mix metaphors).

My understanding of the hard top convertible business model is to produce a single car for both the coupe and convertible markets, thus expanding customer base while reducing manufacturing costs. Adding a fixed roof version of the car would seem to defeat the purpose of building hard top convertibles in the first place. I think it makes more sense to add another, cheaper car under the Portofino since that car has become more of a premium model.

Maybe one of you Econ or Business Admin majors can straighten me out on this one.

Chizz and Booker like this.
  11. Quietriot

Quietriot Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2018
    I expect to see exactly that.

12. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
    We're going to see some more hybrid and/or electric variants is my guess.

13. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    488 replacement thread has confirmation from ferr9000 that this model is happening but will mot be called Portofino.

14. Monkeyboyuk

Monkeyboyuk Rookie

Jan 1, 2017
    Morning guys, I’m in the UK and currently have a 488 and a portofino on order due mid summer, I ordered this a year ago, I’m told due to the low production numbers and high demand deliveries are now being quoted 12 to 18 months to production, below I’m posting some more future insight I found from another site, I’m being flown to Geneva by Ferrari in March and I’m told one or more of the below will be previewed, I will take photos and post.

As Ferrari has announced and shed some light on 15 New Models by 2022 as well as much valuable intelligence on the launch roadmap having been discussed on various but disparate pages here,
    it might be helpful to have a summary of our best information and reasonable surmising about their timelines and characteristics.

1. Direct near-term replacement of 488. Code name 142M-FL. The third and final act of the game changing 458/488 platform. Not simply a mild restyling of the 488, this model will combine a modified version of the Pista twin-turbocharged V-8 tuned to deliver 720 hp and tilted more toward on-road enjoyment than lap times. Styling heavily influenced by J50 and SP38 with horizontal headlights, quad circle rear lights and reported 'stepped' F40 style translucent engine cover. Interior significantly evolved along the lines of 812 interior versus F12 interior with more modern and angular design language. MSRP approx $350k USD with popular options. Regular production. Approx 18-24 month production run. Name unknown. To be shown at 2019 Geneva. Confidence level 95%.

2. 142M-FL Spider. Convertible hardtop version of above car. Launch date a few months after or simultaneously with above car. Confidence level 85%

3. F173 Perhaps the most significant regular production car in Ferrari's history and certainly its highest performing. This car will usher in the hybrid KERS era of Ferrari across almost all regular production cars ultimately. This is a statement car meant to blow away anyone who might be unmoved at the prospect of a hybrid future for Ferrari. Mid-engine V-8 Twin turbo hybrid with Kers. 850-950 hp.Faster than a LaFerrari by every measure. Sub 1:20 lap time at Fiorano. 2.2 seconds to 60mph. Radical new design language described as looking like a "space ship" compared to current models. Similarly radical interior design. Likely Head Up Display and other quantum leap Driver Machine Interface technologies introduced. In many ways will be one of the greatest 'values' in performance car history as it will deliver LaFerrari performance for a third of the price.
    Estimated base price approx $475K before options and approaching $600k with popular options. Prospective launch date May 2019 at Monaco. Name unknown but could have Monaco or Grand Prix tie in given launch date. From 2021 on if you want a mid-engine Ferrari V-8 this will be the entry price. Confidence level 90%.

4. F173 Spider version of above. Prospective 2020 Launch. Confidence level 65%.

5. F40 Icona. There have been only glimmers of intelligence hinted at for this car but from sources that deserve the utmost respect. Again a car to overwhelm any holdouts on hybrid era. Hopefully exactly what it sounds like... a giant rear-wing sporting modern incarnation of the iconic fire-breathing F40. If built, would likely be on F173 platform with another 100hp through enhanced electric turbo and even more dramatic race car level bodywork. Would be seen by many as perhaps the ultimate Icona. Limited production. Price $1.8 million USD. Unlike most Icona models limited to 499 pieces this one could be built to numbered pieces totaling 1,315 ... the same as the original F40. Prospective August 2019 launch. Confidence level 70% due to limited intelligence available thus far.

6. 812 Spider. Folding hard top similar to 488 mechanism except without vents. Otherwise mechanically and cosmetically identical to 812 Superfast. Regular production of 18-24 months run.
    Estimated $435k base price and $550k with desired options. Prospective Launch November 2019.
    Confidence level 90% due to highly respected members and sources.

7. Portofino Coupe. Heavily restyled Portofino hardtop. The 'Wraith' of the Ferrari 8-cylinder GT line.
    Only lightly discussed but from respected sources. Estimated base price of $245K. Prospective launch late 2019 or early 2020. Confidence level 65%.

8. 812 'TDF.' Yes a somehow more powerful blistering naturally aspirated large V-12 track oriented version of the prodigious 812 Superfast. As one of, if not the last of, its kind this will be a high priced limited edition car. Likely Limited to 799 pieces. Probably priced at $750,000 or more and approaching $1-million for Tailor Made cars. Prospective launch date 2020. Confidence level 80%.

9. 812 TDF Aperta. Even more limited production hardtop convertible version of above car. This could be one of the grand finale swan songs of the naturally aspirated unassisted V-12. Perhaps limited to 499 pieces or less. Base price could be $1.2-million. Confidence level 60%. Speculation.

10. Classic 250 series styled V-12 Icona. A modern version of the legendary 250 series from the 1950's and 1960's. An homage to the 250 GTO, 250 TR and 250 TDF era. Not a recreation. These will be a brand new modern interpretation of the gentlemens' track-to-street GT using modern styling incorporating iconic signature elements from those classic cars. Will likely use 812 engine and may even be offered with maunual shift in addition to paddle shift. Production limited to 499 each body style. Priced at $1.8 million. Prospective launch 2020. Confidence level 95%.

11. Mid-Engine V-6. From a price, driving experience and performance perspective this will be for many buyers the effective ultimate successor to the 488. This will replace the 488 at the same price point ... low to mid $300k range. Hybrid KERS V-6 Twin Turbo. 750-780hp.
    All new platform and design language vs. 488. The mid-engine Ferrari line will be effectively bifurcated with the 8-cylinder F173 at 900+ hp for $550k and this 6-cylinder car at 750hp for $350k.
    Prospective launch date 2021. Confidence level 95%.

12. Spider version of 6-cylinder mid-engine car described above. Launch in late 2021.
    Confidence level 90%.

13. GTC 4 Lusso replacement. 4-seater with 8-cylinder turbo hybrid AWD and AWS. 750hp.
    Restyled more as muscular fastback compared to current truncated rear. $325k base. Prospective launch date 2021. Confidence level 65%.

14. Purosangue FUV. Twin turbo hybrid V-8 generating 800hp. High-riding high-performance on and off the road. Could be modern 4-seat spiritual successor to Italdesign Parkour concept which is as low and sleek as an SUV could be. Or could be more conventional solution ala Aston Martin DBX production prototype currently testing. Will have 4-seats but innovative solution for doors giving access to all 4 seats but reading as a 2-door. Company says will be the highest performing vehicle in its category i.e. above Urus and Cayenne Turbo. Scheduled launch 2022. Pricing estimate is $275k base and $325k with popular options. Confidence level is 95%.

15. Hypercar successor to LaFerrari. V-12 hybrid KERS. Usable 60-mile electric-only range. Hopefully but not necessarily a still naturally aspirated ICE. Should be the first Ferrari to break the 1,000 hp barrier. Likely 1,100 to 1,200 bhp. Should also break the 2.0 seconds to 60mph barrier reaching it in 1.8. Astonishing AM Valkerie-esque level performance while being a more usable car.
    Will have Head-Up Display and other quantum leap Driver Machine Interface performance technologies. Limited production 499 pieces. $2.2 million likely price point. Prospective launch date is 2022 coinciding with Ferrari's 75th year. Confidence level is 95%.

15. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Doug23 and jumpinjohn like this.
  16. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    Now confirmed by ferr9000 that it will be launched this year.
    This will be the new entry level model.

Doug23 likes this.
  17. maximilien

maximilien Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2005
    Capitale of Europe
    Full Name:
    Massimo
    Very interesting, ferrari have a lot potential not exploited!

18. Sr.Pininfarina

Sr.Pininfarina Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2006
    The "Smallbrother"...

19. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Nice.

20. maximilien

maximilien Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2005
    Capitale of Europe
    Full Name:
    Massimo
    I’m very curious about the engine? Is same engine v8 biturbo or new engine

21. NZCREW

NZCREW Karting

Nov 20, 2018
    I was told it would be the V6 engine by Ferrari sales person.

22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Better be cheap!
    For a 6 cylinder car, I've got a 911 already. Time to start researching older V12s!
    T

Golden Steed and 500tr like this.
  23. Sr.Pininfarina

Sr.Pininfarina Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2006
    ¿ferrari cayman?

bernardo66, Golden Steed and tomc like this.
  24. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    If you’ve owned a Cali or Porto, I think you would see the benefits of the convertible hard top.

Aside from the obvious attraction, being able to open the top makes the rear seats and compartment more usable. An adult has a difficult time getting in and out with the roof closed. And with the roof closed
    a adult has to bend his head forward because there is t enough height with the rear window. And with roof open you can better store a bag or other items in the back.

The coupe would be cheaper or at least should be! And the coupe might be a better platform for performance and handling focused drivers.

If they make it, I hope they give
    the coupe it’s owm design. Not a cheaper portofino with a broke roof

anunakki likes this.
  25. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    IMO a V6 coupe should be a Maserati, not a Ferrari