1990 348 ts - first time buyer. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1990 348 ts - first time buyer.

Discussion in '348/355' started by Zulf, Feb 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Rear screens are about second hand from time to time. There is currently one on fleabay at a rediculously low price which might be worth grabbing.

Above major belts looks reasonable work load. Although you might expect to see the cam tension bearings being done. Not essential but usually done.

Don’t stress all the things that can go wrong. It’s no different to any other circa 30 year old car; except some of the parts can be a tad expensive!!!!

Drive it, maintain it and enjoy it!!! Your not buying concours in the hope of making money so put the miles on it!!!

Zulf and Wade like this.
  2. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    They didn’t replace the waterpump, yet the bill was $10,000?

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I was going to ask the same.

The 90 ts I used to own was coming due for a major and fortunately I had full records. A 29k mile car with the original water pump, which I had replaced during the next full service, "just because". :)

4. Zulf

Zulf Rookie

Jan 16, 2019
    Irvine California
    Full Name:
    Zulf Ali
    Yes my thoughts exactly, not sure why the tension bearings weren’t done. I’ll be questioning him on that and it also looks like he didn’t replace the water pump. Can that wait for the next service or is it of concern, a deal braker?

I also tried looking for the link on fleabay regarding the rear screen but couldn’t find anything. Do you mind sending me a link. Thanks

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    With low mile cara as long as the service did cam tkjensioner bearings (it shows them as parts but the do not sounds like Hill) I would do the water pump next time. Generally ever major do the water pump. The early ones had plastic impellers if you can believe that. You'll know if its an issue it will over heat.
    MUCH MUCH MUCH bigger deal is spot welding the pullies, unless you ask for it it never gets done. To me that's the biggest risk followed by the 2 bearings in the front. Water pump.. not a deal breaker just a missed opportunity.

6. Zulf

Zulf Rookie

Jan 16, 2019
    Irvine California
    Full Name:
    Zulf Ali

Oh believe me, if all goes well i'll be driving it daily. But you do have a great point, any 30 year old car will have some expected failures to some parts, but i love the encouragement and will be adding some serious mileage on the bad boy. But honestly speaking the advice that I go from one of the dealers was to save a little more and buy a newer (92-95 MY) because they had all the issues resolved. But i feel opportunities to buy a 348 with this many low miles in addition to having had a recent major service is too god of an opportunity.

7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The issues solved are not that big. Front oil pump bearing... well just do it on major service. They moved the battery big whoop. Changed offset on wheels add spacers. Other things like suspension alignment and pick up points as a regular pleasure drive you won't notice any of that. Changed to single plate clutch many preferred the dual plate. The changes alternators I have a Denso on mine so not so sure they all had delcos, besides I like the delcos better you can get them in 140, 180 amp that plugs right in. Big change to me was the seats the got wider later in the cycle which is better for those Americans who are wide in the beam as it were. They softened the suspension because customers complained it was harsh, honestly I feel I would not want it softer it not a Caddie.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/what-are-the-348-model-year-changes.495499/

Spider or TB or TS. Pick what you like start with the nicest one you can. That or get one a bit more worn for cheaper then spend money, not a bad strategy. In my case no matter how nice it is I'm fixing it anyhow as preventative maintenance. No point in waiting to break down.

Good luck!

8. Zulf

Zulf Rookie

Jan 16, 2019
    Irvine California
    Full Name:
    Zulf Ali
    Hi all, it’s me again, thank you all for the wonderful advice. I’ll be heading out tomorrow to see the car. I did also want some more advice, I’ve seen another and this time it’s a1992 ts. Below is the comparison between the 2:-

Option 1
    1990 ts - (the one I’m seeing tomorrow) has 14500miles, 3 owners, no history but just had a major service. Looks immaculate!

Option 2
    1992 ts- 21000 miles, full service history including Original sticker price paper work. 2owners. Just been serviced (current waiting on paperwork)

What where the updates from 90 to 92?

Both red.

9. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Lots of minor updates, but it’s really based on production date and NOT model year. So it’s hard to say the differences between those two cars just by that.

I’d buy whichever one doesn’t have a tan interior. haha.

No seriously, post pics of each. Much can be seen visually. But the updates alone aren’t worth using to make the decision between the two cars. Honestly the full service history on the second car would be the more valuable decision point.

10. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    This ^^^

Except that I like tan and the 92 seats are so much better. :)

11. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Price points aside....the one with the full history all day long.

Not only will you know what's been done, and more importantly not done to the car, and thus allow you to budget accordingly for services, you will also have provenance to prove the mileage.

As both are low mileage, budget to sort typical low mileage/age related issues out and at least with the one with service history you will know what this is; if anything, depending on how fastidious previous owners have been.

(Rear screen doesn't seem to be listed anymore. Was a UK listing without any bids. Might be with one of the regular salvage guys.)

12. Zulf

Zulf Rookie

Jan 16, 2019
    Irvine California
    Full Name:
    Zulf Ali

LOL! The 92 has the tan and the 90 hs black. Here are some pics for comparison...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Zulf

Zulf Rookie

Jan 16, 2019
    Irvine California
    Full Name:
    Zulf Ali
  14. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  15. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    They all do.

Send some interior pics? Engine bay pics? Does the 92 have the battery in the front left nose or rear left corner? Does the 92 have two peice seat cushions or single?

16. Zulf

Zulf Rookie

Jan 16, 2019
    Irvine California
    Full Name:
    Zulf Ali

Not sure where the battery is located, but here are the pics of the interior and engine bay
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Looks like a rear-mounted battery because I'm pretty sure that is its cover in the passenger footwell.

Cool period-correct mobile phone along with its unusual antenna installation in the engine bay. Or is that the radio antenna?

steved033 likes this.
  18. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    #43 bjwhite, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    Ok. So that tan interior car here are my observations:
    * If it is actually a MY92, it is likely a mid-1991 production year as the battery is still rear mounted (back left of engine bay) as you can see the remote battery terminal is missing in the engine bay. (Right side behind the suspension tower)
    * You can also see battery tender or jumper cables going to this battery location in the engine bay pic.
    * It also has the single piece seats, which also didn't come until later production 1991 (date not model year).

Given these two facts, I would surmise that there is no difference in "updates" between the two cars. So don't let that the be the deciding factor.

For me, the difference would be condition, service and other history, and the interior. Personally, I'd have to go with black....but I know many on here just love the tan and you may be one of them.

Also notice the 92 car has the Speedline wheels which are semi-common period aftermarket upgrades for these cars.

19. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'd love to have a phone like that in my car working.....

steved033 likes this.
  20. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I don't think any of the old analog networks are still in operation?

21. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    right.. that's the bummer I would not put it in for looks, if only it worked. It totally looks at home in there... Really feel like a coked-up 80's stock broker. I actually was one in the 80's lol.

Wade likes this.
  22. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Good to hear that you survived!

23. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Check around, there might be a place that puts flip phone guts and sim cards into them...

There was a group that was doing that with old black bakelite desk phones from the 50s. plenty of room in those for a battery. looked and worked like mobile, in the body of a rotary desk phone.

sjd

24. QSA

QSA Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    Kingwood, TX
    Full Name:
    Quinn
    I agree. Go for the car with historyif it checks out. Price points rarely make up for it, though it will help sell the car in the future.

25. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Brian is dead right.

PPI and compression and leak down. Get the best out of that. History and all that only matters of its a 10 out of 10 and your hoping to tell at the 98% percentile AND there is a buyer looking for that. Lots and lots of cars with full history sell for the same'ish as cars with limited history but fully check out. Saw an 04 360 with full history stack in a binder sell for 80K on Barrett Jackson few weeks ago. If I were to sell I would time it after service and enjoy it for a bit and record valve specs along with compression and leak down numbers on the shops paperwork with receipts and pics. That will do it.

Get the nicest one that checks out, year make little difference. Its the same car essentially. For me compression and leak down are key. I saw 1 car that burned a qt of oil ever 800 miles for sale that looked amazing. (I tacked down previous owners who were ex fchat members). I GUARANTEE the leak down would fail.

I bought on overall condition, com/leak results, no accident history and a big one, registration history. You can disconnect spedo easily and assume every car has false mileage. ESPECIALLY if is was passed from dealer to dealer or lacks registration history. That tells me it was driven with dealer plates for years with spedo disconnected and almost certainly NOT maintained. Careful with the "low mileage is key thing" you can almost certainly bet its false.

Mine had reported 11500 mileage. When we pulled motor apart the chain tensioners I posted above were essentially unworn and valves were in spec. comp leak down was spot on before I bought. In my case it was legit.

BTW many folks out here spend money and time fixing stuff that's not broke and making the cars perfect. I could literally not spend a dime except service next 30K miles, but where is the fun in that? :) So don't let all the work people do confuse you, they are generally quite reliable.

Overall condition, com/leak results, no accident history and a big one, registration history. Good luck with your choice, post results. :)