California top and trunk issues please help!!!! | FerrariChat

California top and trunk issues please help!!!!

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Aaron smith, Feb 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aaron smith

Aaron smith Rookie

Feb 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    Aaron Smith
    I just purchased a 2010 California at Barrett Jackson after a few too many drinks. At the auction the top was down then for some reason reliable carriers then shipped the car with the top down. We got the car off the truck and put the top up. It seemed to work properly. Then today I go to put the top down and if stops halfway through and says something like top malfunction ( I don’t remember exactly what it said) it would still let me close the top from this position so i did. I then did the manual reboot unhook the battery lock then unlock the doors and start the car. Now the top went down with no problems. I felt like a genius. Then i go to put the top up and it goes halfway up. It starts spraying hydro fluid but then continues to go up. It eventually closes (we’ll almost) now the dash says complete roof close or something like that and it WILL NOT move anymore in either direction. The worst part is the truck will not Open either. Not with the key fob or using the key in the manual trunk release. Now I can’t even see what is going on I would think priority one would be to get the trunk open to be able to find the leak and repair or possibly fill back up with fluid. But nothing i do will make the trunk open. Please help me

2. Aaron smith

Aaron smith Rookie

Feb 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    Aaron Smith
    I have searched all the threads here and nothing is working. Has anyone else had this problem and not posted about it

3. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    there are posts , maybe not same thread title as yours but definitely same posts.

I had similar problems w my 2010, all i could say is don't you fool w top until it is corrected. I kept playing w it and the top eventually dropped down on itself and dented the metal where it dropped.
    I was told my issue was low or leaking fluid.

4. biotequity

biotequity Rookie

Jun 22, 2012
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Michael Taylor
    “Spraying hydro fluid” - i think that might be the problem?

5. Aaron smith

Aaron smith Rookie

Feb 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    Aaron Smith
    The problem is now the top is up and the trunk won’t open. So I can’t do anything about the fluid. I need to get the trunk open

6. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Couple of things to try.

First. Hold the key fob with both unlock button and the open trunk button at the same time for 10s. It can force the trunk to open if it can. (I think that is the right combo, or door lock and trunk open).

Second. Key unlock in the trunk only works if you release the pressure from the lock of the trunk to the chassis. Try pushing down on the trunk while you turn the key in the trunk release.

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    There may be some useful info in this thread.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/whoops-help.351555/

As to point #2 in the preceding post, when I've had issues with the trunk release, I find it best to have someone else push down the trunk while the second person turns the key.

Probably dumb question, but have you tried the trunk release button on the floor on the driver's side?

T